How's Your Fishing Going

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I don't fish at all these days, several reasons for it, but probably a serious case of Can't be Arsed, being the main reason.

So, how's your own fishing going, are you realising your own personal fulfilments?

Regards
Steph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I still get out on occasion Steph and usually the day lives up to my expectations.

you really should make the effort thuogh, you never know what is waiting out there to be caught . . . . . . .

He Who Dares, and all that stuff . . . .

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I don't fish at all these days, several reasons for it, but probably a serious case of Can't be Arsed, being the main reason.

So, how's your own fishing going, are you realising your own personal fulfilments?

Regards
Steph.

My best mate has suffered from a serious case of the can't be arsed for quite a few years now. I know its a hard thing to shake off but I managed to encourage him to go a few times last year and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. Give it a go Steph, if I lived closer to you then I would be more than willing to take you along.

john step

Reaction score
Great thanks. Looking forward to the next 60 years of fishing. I should be so lucky:eek:mg:

mike47

Reaction score
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying my fishing Steph. It would be hard to put into words the fun and satisfaction I have had on the bank this past year. My recent pb carp (9lb) had me on cloud 9 . Nuff said!!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats a great little post and in these days of instant experts it's brilliant to hear of someone so happy with what many would consider to be a humble pb.
I hope you have many more years of rewarding angling and your pb improves at a steady sensible rate.

rubio

Reaction score
I've had to do most of my fishing in my head. Can't seem to find the right moment to sneak out the door. Only time I did get to the river it was over the banks. Got 2 day window from tomorrow and only another 50 or so jobs to sort out around the house but even a slim chance is a chance.
Much like most of my fishing sessions lately.

denzinho

Reaction score
Hi Steph,

Long time no see. I've had some what of a cracking year with a target of catching as many species as I could really using different methods.

My list:

1.Minnow
2.Gudgeon
3.Ruff
4.Dace
5.Bleak
6.Rudd - Several this season on local commercial, pretty fish.
7.Roach
8.Perch- Broke PB several times, current PB is at 1lb.8oz and that was a cracker. Can't wait for the 2.8oz or a 3lb fish.
9.Chub- new PB 2.7oz previous was 2lb.
10.Eel- Caught a 5lb+ at local lake...Lucky? you make up your own mind :p
11.Barbel- All 6oz of it but buzzing when I caught it.
12.Bream- 4lb PB at local canal back in may
13.Brown Trout- around 2lb on the fly back in feb-march
14.Grayling- Only 1 but still very welcome.
15.Pike- Around 5-6lb dead baiting.
16.Crucian Carp- 1 at around 7oz.
17. Carp- New PB 18.5 time 2. The second went like a train was great fun.
18.Tench- 1 at 1lb

I think that's it, still missing a couple but I'm happy with the results. I have blanked over 15 times this year it hasn't been easy but it's been a cracking year seeing the outdoors change over the seasons and being able to experiment with my approach, A lot of which I owe to this forum.

Target next year is to go chasing Barbel which should be fun. Hopefully knock into a few big ole Chub too.

Anyhow nice to see your account knocking about again.

Take care

Steve

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's really good to see that many of you still have that fire, passion and desire for your fishing. I'm sure that my fishing will return to me again, perhaps when the weather warms up again? Anyway it's great to read your posts of encouragement.

daji

Reaction score
I haven't been out for 6 or so weeks now
Not sure why my interest has dropped but it certainly hasn't gone altogether as I'm constantly analysing the weather and contemplating if it will be a good, bad or ugly day angling wise. Hopefully I'll brave it and make time this week :)

john step

Reaction score
Reading some of the replies I have got to wondering why people loose their enthusiasm to fish even if it only a temporary thing.
Is the fear of yet another blank after a sparse spell?
Is inadequate clothing in the cold?
Health probs?
Perhaps its even the prospect of going to the same old venues and catching the same old fish? Need a change?
Any ideas?

greenie62

Reaction score
Reading some of the replies I have got to wondering why people loose their enthusiasm to fish even if it only a temporary thing....Any ideas?

I think some may be worried that whilst they are on the bank - the 'nasty girls' on this site may be having a go at them behind their backs! :eek:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I prefer to fish in the winter, the protective clothing is so much better than it use to be.
And the fish are bigger, which ticks all the boxes for me.
In the really cold weather it has to Grayling, a little milder and it's Pike and Perch, mild/flooded and it's the Chub and Barbel.

Bob

daji

Reaction score
Reading some of the replies I have got to wondering why people loose their enthusiasm to fish even if it only a temporary thing.
Is the fear of yet another blank after a sparse spell?
Perhaps its even the prospect of going to the same old venues and catching the same old fish? Need a change?
Any ideas?

Pretty much these. I don't drive so i'm limited to 3 waters with 2 of them fishing very poorly once the temperature drops. Last year i persevered with very little success and maybe now the prospect of sitting it out for ****** all has ground me down. The alternative is to ask the wife to drive me further afield as a change of venue would be nice although i reckon it would only take one whiff of my fishing tackle in the car to put an end to that :D

B

binka

it would only take one whiff of my fishing tackle in the car to put an end to that :D

The smell of fusty gear in the car isn't nice though daji.

You could always please everyone and get a small trailer?

On second thoughts scrap that idea, the wife's not gonna take too kindly when she sees her seat bolted to it :eek: ;) :D

nicepix

Reaction score
Traditionally I don't seem to do well at this time of year. At one time I would put the coarse rods away after a Boxing Day session and not coarse fish until June when the season opened. Then I started fly-fishing to fill the void.

This year has been a bit slow. Mainly because we bought a house at the end of last year and there has been a lot of work to do. I spent quite a bit of time trying to locate good barbel fishing and tried places thirty kilometres upstream and downstream of where I live only to find the best stretches are on my doorstep. This year I've spent less time fishing for carp and virtually none for catfish, but have been happy exploring the smaller River Glane and getting back to basics using a tiny one piece quiver rod, 1500 size reel and banded pellets or worms as bait for mini species and a few welcome surprises. A 4lb carp on that little rod was quite a handful. I've also tried drop-shotting for the first time and a bit of lure fishing without any success.

Now the house is sorted and the garden tamed I'm looking forward to 2015.

john step

Reaction score
Pretty much these. I don't drive so i'm limited to 3 waters with 2 of them fishing very poorly once the temperature drops. Last year i persevered with very little success and maybe now the prospect of sitting it out for ****** all has ground me down. The alternative is to ask the wife to drive me further afield as a change of venue would be nice although i reckon it would only take one whiff of my fishing tackle in the car to put an end to that :D
Oh so sorry Daji. That sounds so depressing:(

daji

Reaction score
Oh so sorry Daji. That sounds so depressing:(

wow......now you mention it it is depressing :(

lol but dont worry John, i like to target Tench more than anything so i'm used to sitting out the winter and the waters i fish are very productive during the warmer months. Roll on spring!! :D

terry m

Reaction score
For me things are going fairly well, although my catch rate for December has taken its' normal annual dip, no idea why, but it seems to happen every year.

Hard push for the next 10 weeks with plenty of 1/2 day sessions when I am not working abroad. That generally means that by mid March I am ready to hang my gear up for the close season and take a break until June.