what has been ur most unexpected/weird catch when fishing

fishperch

Reaction score
mine has got to b wen I was bringing in ny lead to re cast to a different location and a tiny little rudd was on the hook, it took 2 red and 2 bronze maggots on the hook :D i was shocked :D

B

binka

This little fella gave me a surprise last year after snaffling my feeder fished double maggot, I don't think I've ever caught one on rod and line before and probably last saw one in the flesh back when I was a kid...

smudger172

Reaction score
Have hooked and landed a trout rod and reel and on a separate occasion a trout anglers landing net while vertical jigging on grafham.. Both took a lot of getting off of the bottom thanks to the zebra muscles collanising both items

Keith M

Reaction score
While trotting a stick on the river Lea I hooked a Turtle who had snaffled my maggot as it trundled along the bottom.

After getting lots of knocks while fishing a deadbait for Pike I decided to reel in to examine my setup, and found a tiny Perch hooked squarely in its bottom lip.
I assume there was probably a shoal of these tiny fish nipping at my large deadbait.

I hooked a Guppy once near a warm water outlet at the Ovaltine stretch of the Grand Union Canal in Kings Langley (no longer there).

When we night fished a local Estate lake on a cold misty night a few years ago my mate had a slow run and when he struck he felt something fighting at the end of his line but as he got it closer the fight stopped and he had hooked a dead and rotting Carp in the corner of its lips, it's eyes were rotted out and it had been dead for quite a while.

Keith

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
Nice specimen bullhead pics !
Get a few of these on the feeder down our local bit of Colne. We had one weighed in one of our matches at an ounce and a quarter a couple of years back- in excess of the record I believe but we didn't publicise it as didn't want the river overrun with glory hunters turning it into the next Adam's Mill....
Weirdest thing I've caught, fishwise at any rate, was a lumpsucker from the breakwater at Warkworth in Northumberland, godawful looking thing.
For strange ways of catching though, and certainly the luckiest match I've ever fished, was about 15 years ago when a local club ran a few opens on the Colne at West Drayton. Drew in the weirpool and was catching nothing when tip went round in an odd sort of bite. Turned out that my hook had gone through the eye of a swivel on a rig somebody had lost which had a 4 ft hooklength attached with a 3 pound bream on. Landed it despite a floating dead branch catching the line as I was about to net it , unhooked my hook from the swivel and propped rod against my carryall while I sorted the tangle of line, bream and branch in the landing net. The propped rod had left my feeder just out of the water so the two maggots on the hook must have been wafting around just below the surface a foot out from the wall in 4 ft of water. Dropped bream in keepnet, looked round to pick rod up and the tip's bouncing- 3 lb chub . Added one tiny perch and weighed 6-2 for third !
Amazingly, didn't win the lottery that weekend.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A stone from the tidal Thames; a round pebble, it was, about 2" across, with one tiny hole I'd never have noticed had my hook-point not been in it.

A slimy, rotting pair of bream pectoral fins.

Myself, on a #16 mallard and claret. That cured me of tying flies on barbed hooks!

greenie62

Reaction score
Crayfish - on the fly!

3 Eels and a pike - in a match - all ruled not permitted for weigh-in!

15lb Salmon - on lip-hooked minnow trotted for chub!

Weed-wrapped golf ball on double bronze maggot!

My brother's 7ft spinning rod and reel he had lost the week before 100m upstream!

:eek:mg::eek:mg:

The bad one

Reaction score
Quite a few excellent fighting plastic bags when the rivers up. Next week will produce an odd Christmas tree fish or two, as it’s the start of their 2 week annual run of the river. The best I’ve had is a shade over 6 ft, no lights or tinsel though! Now they are a prised and rare catch those. Only ever seen one landed in 30+ years of the annual run.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I caught another angers vacuum flask. I was fishing a beach competition when a wave caught the angler unaware and swamped his tackle, washing his flask out to sea. It was about seventy yards out and I had a cast at it. One of the hooks went through the handle and I was able to retrieve it for him, he seemed over the moon until he realised that six ounces of gripper lead had totally destroyed the glass liner, still it gave his mates a good laugh.

russell_bush

Reaction score
As a junior in the late 70's, I reeled in a plastic bag on the Teme, with a gudgeon inside the bag ! Also had swan mussels clamped onto my maggot hookbait on the Severn, again in the late 70's. A flounder on the Wye at Ross about two winters ago.

xenon

Reaction score
plumbing the depth with a swan shot 3 inches away from a bare size 12 hook (black teflon)-sailaway bite, 8 oz perch!, fairly hooked.

Reaction score
2 x tench at the same time on one hook. About 4lb each.

Fishing feeder with past wrapped pellet on a size 12 hook on an 8" braid hook link

I thought u had hooked a massive tench for the venue then was shocked to see another fish 'following' the one I'd hooked.

But after landing them both I found that both fish had been hooked.

It looked like one fish first took the bait and got hooked, but within a short period the other took the bait too and got hooked also. It must have then pulled the hook through the first fishes mouth, because the first fish was 'threaded' onto the hook length.

Chances of doing that again?

theartist

Reaction score
I caught another angers vacuum flask. I was fishing a beach competition when a wave caught the angler unaware and swamped his tackle, washing his flask out to sea. It was about seventy yards out and I had a cast at it. One of the hooks went through the handle and I was able to retrieve it for him, he seemed over the moon until he realised that six ounces of gripper lead had totally destroyed the glass liner, still it gave his mates a good laugh.

Dam flask :)

maverick 7

Reaction score
2 x tench at the same time on one hook. About 4lb each.

Fishing feeder with past wrapped pellet on a size 12 hook on an 8" braid hook link

I thought u had hooked a massive tench for the venue then was shocked to see another fish 'following' the one I'd hooked.

But after landing them both I found that both fish had been hooked.

It looked like one fish first took the bait and got hooked, but within a short period the other took the bait too and got hooked also. It must have then pulled the hook through the first fishes mouth, because the first fish was 'threaded' onto the hook length.

Chances of doing that again?

That's absolutely incredible.......

My weird catch was when I was fishing Woodlands at Thirsk (only fished it because the Swale was unfishable on that day)......I sat next to my mate and we both had a bite at the same time ....we hooked our fish and proceeded to reel "them" in.

Turned out to be a chub with both our hooks firmly embedded into it's top lip...our baits must have been very close to each others and the fish must have taken them both at the same time.......although I don't recall casting so close to where my mate was fishing and nor does he....but there we were....both reeling in the same fish...quite unusual.

I have also hooked a loose line with a 12lb carp on it and had to land the fish by hand .....pulling in the line with my hand as it was too long for me to reel in...nearly cut my fingers off.

Maverick

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Something I witnessed as a 12-year-old when Chris my great childhood fishing friend and I used to spin and jig tiny spinners for perch and stillwater chub in a small, long since filled in Bucks-Middx pit (that we very soon found was sensationally good for tench which responded to the then fashionable float Lift Method and long antenna floats).

The chub were 1.5 to 3 pounds and monsters for us back then, the perch often small to tiny and in huge bank-hugging shoals - find one of the latter and we would be pulling out little perch on jigged size 0 Mepps and similar in numbers.

Then Chris hooked two little perch on the treble of his Mepps / Veltic / Voblex / Whatever, lifted them to the surface then out of the water a few inches until a pike's head shot up and out and ate them. Only four pounds or so, but what mind-frying magic for a couple of fishing-mad kids.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Lure fishing the Tidal Trent a few seasons ago I had a thump on the rod tip, which initially I thought was going to be a lump, but to cut a long story short after a lot of manouvering managed to bring to the bank side a keep net. Having got it out I was amazed to find a number of small fish still inside, which we released, all fit and healthy. Had I not been using substantial gear there wouldn't have been a cat in hell's chance of getting it to the bank. And the keep net we carted off to the parking area, and left beside a parked car. It did cause me to wonder though how many items of tackle have found there way to the river bed over the years.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
i had one of these on the maggot feeder approx 10 years ago on the river cherwell, i saw it siiting on a branch earlier and thought it was an ornament till it plopped into the river...

https://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=...lt_group&ei=N5SiVKP3Mob1ULDNgKAL&ved=0CBQQsAQ

also had a 4lb chub on the pellet feederout the seacourt stream....feeder was stuck in its gob and i managed to land it with the hook nowhere near the fish!

cattyfatty

Reaction score
was fishing a pond near us and this peg had a snag in it to the left , well i hooked into a fish that took me into the snag .
well after a minute trying to get it out of this snag ,i felt the fish come off , so i loosened the line and got a small branch to pull in the line on .
well it started to come in slowly with a lot of drag on it , well it was under the peg stand started to bring it up and there it was fishing umbrella fully opened up with loads of line and hooks on it was old as the hills .
rust and silt all over it must of been there for years....

greenie62

Reaction score
..... and there it was fishing umbrella fully opened up with loads of line and hooks on it was old as the hills .
rust and silt all over it must of been there for years....

It wasn't endorsed -"See I told ya it was going to rain! - Noah" - was it? :eek:;):eek:mg: