Not fishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Again today

I had arranged with an old friend to go fly fishing today but we cancelled due to the snow and cold temp

Typical the weather was mild and up to 12c in the week before Christmas then just when I have a few days free to fish the temp drops and we get snow

B

binka

Funny thing is I went a week and a half without going fishing before Christmas when I could have easily got out but as soon as the snow came I was climbing the walls after two days because I couldn’t get out :confused:

Hope you get out soon...

terry m

Reaction score
No snow down here, but hellishly cold this morning. An early morning wander down the Avon was productive, and the lack of wind made the cold easily bearable.

wes79

Reaction score
Same here, I can rarely seem to trust the weather forecast these days for any longer than a few days as it seems to be changed often just before I've previously planned to go sometimes needing a week to get everything together its changed, sometimes quite dramatically.

assuming that once the temp has been constant for a few days even after a sudden drop in temps that Chub at least will still feed, not sure about some other species, what is to cold for Piking or does the same apply?

C

chefster

So far this winter i,ve fished 4 matches at Tunnel barn farm,where we,ve had to ice break ,yesterday,it was at least an inch thick!,luckily F1,s feed well in these conditions,its probably the only place locally to me,where i would feel confident of catching well and decent size fish,after ice breaking,apart from the canal..

nicepix

Reaction score
We've had a hectic social calendar along with antisocial weather. It has been down to -6C overnight for the last three nights and not much over freezing in the daylight. Ww are booked tomorrow for lunch at friends then I'm working Friday and we are hosting a dinner party again on Saturday so there is no chance of fishing until Sunday at the earliest.

I took the dog for a walk along the River Glane today after work and it was ever so cold as the valley doesn't get any sunshine. That venue has been struck off the possibles until we get some milder weather. Same with the Vienne. The big lakes are situated up in the hills and will be pretty bleak and windswept so they are out too. Looks like my best option will be the River Charente that meanders through meadowland and holds a good head of chub. Roll on Sunday :)