Warning to forum users.

john step

Reaction score
Not a solely fishing thread but one to watch for.
I have just received a credit card statement and found an extra £79 from AMAZON.
If like me you sent for Christmas presents on AMAZON did you either click a box for speedy delivery or un click some box or other. Apparently without knowing I signed up for AMAZON PRIME which is in effect an on line film library which I certainly do not want.
Luckily there must be a get out window as I found a box to tick to cancel and get a refund.

Fellow Angling Magiceers check your statements and be careful :eek:mg:
Happy New Year
John

lambert1

Reaction score
Not a solely fishing thread but one to watch for.
I have just received a credit card statement and found an extra £79 from AMAZON.
If like me you sent for Christmas presents on AMAZON did you either click a box for speedy delivery or un click some box or other. Apparently without knowing I signed up for AMAZON PRIME which is in effect an on line film library which I certainly do not want.
Luckily there must be a get out window as I found a box to tick to cancel and get a refund.

Fellow Angling Magiceers check your statements and be careful :eek:mg:
Happy New Year
John

My young son, who is only 13, got caught on the same thing. He has his own account, but my wife monitors it. He has now learnt his first lesson about small print. I personally will not use Amazon after the Panorama programme on them, but that is a personal protest. My wife and son use it a lot. They (Amazon) are not doing anything illegal, but people need to be aware as you say.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might appear some holier-than-thou crank, but I made the decision never to use Amazon several years ago. Mere convenience and cheapness can come at a far greater cost....

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
I might appear some holier-than-thou crank, but I made the decision never to use Amazon several years ago. Mere convenience and cheapness can come at a far greater cost....

I think it is safe to say we are in a minority Paul:D

maceo

Reaction score
I was glad to join the boycott of Amazon this Xmas.

Appalling working conditions - pure exploitation - and so unnecessary with all the money they make. Run a tight ship by all means, but there's no need to treat your staff so miserably.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And destined to be the only work-option for many many Brits in the years to come. There were always "cr@p jobs" - I sometimes had up to four a week in the 1970s when jobs were plentiful, and so did many other people, walking out of one job whenever you got bored or when the foreman gave you (or, more often, a mate of yours) an unnecessarily hard time, but if the only future option for many is Amazon and similar, I really do pity the Brits who follow us.

john step

Reaction score

I had forgotten the publicity about them and now stand suitably chastised.
I will not deal with them again. Membership cancelled.

wes79

Reaction score
Maybe all this fornication with the Babylonian market system is destined to leave us all with a bad case of syphilis?

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Not Amazon but a similar thing. I recently purchased a Fridge from Currys. The young assistant was most helpful, which is unusual as most don't know what day it is. On paying with my debit card, he told me I had a 30 day Currys guarantee, should anything go wrong. I said "I have a two year warranty from the manufacturer and know my rights as a customer I don't need a guarantee from Currys it's pointless". He replied "well take it anyway its free" and gave me a pamphlet with a plastic card attached. At no time did I sign for anything. Couple of months later I noticed a regular £2 deduction on my monthly statement, against my debit card. When I queried this with my bank they told me it was for Product Support. I said I had set up no standing order for any product support. The Banking Advisor explain that this was sharp practice by the retailer, the 30 day free offer was free but the onus was on the customer to cancel after 30 days, failure to do so allowed the Retailer's Support Provider to claim the monthly payment using the debit card details supplied by me to make the purchase, no standing order needed. I got my bank to cancel the payments there and then plus a refund. I then phoned the Product Support provider and Currys to tell them that I had cancelled the service and what my thoughts were on such business practices and where my future custom would not go. The thing I object to is the way that it is done by stealth, similar to Amazon Prime example, with the onus on you to cancel something you did not specifically ask for anyway, taking time and effort plus they are always premium rate call lines. It's a con Pete.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I joined Prime when you could pay monthly and cancelled it after 3 weeks and taking advantage of the delivery rates.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I joined Prime when you could pay monthly and cancelled it after 3 weeks and taking advantage of the delivery rates.

I joined prime recently when i needed something in a hurry and none of the local shops had it, thirty days free and then cancel it.

The bad one

Reaction score
Funny enough I never have any of those problems, goods in hand, check first it working and what I want, then pay in notes of the realm. Works every time! Strange that ain't it ;)

cattyfatty

Reaction score
Not Amazon but a similar thing. I recently purchased a Fridge from Currys. The young assistant was most helpful, which is unusual as most don't know what day it is. On paying with my debit card, he told me I had a 30 day Currys guarantee, should anything go wrong. I said "I have a two year warranty from the manufacturer and know my rights as a customer I don't need a guarantee from Currys it's pointless". He replied "well take it anyway its free" and gave me a pamphlet with a plastic card attached. At no time did I sign for anything. Couple of months later I noticed a regular £2 deduction on my monthly statement, against my debit card. When I queried this with my bank they told me it was for Product Support. I said I had set up no standing order for any product support. The Banking Advisor explain that this was sharp practice by the retailer, the 30 day free offer was free but the onus was on the customer to cancel after 30 days, failure to do so allowed the Retailer's Support Provider to claim the monthly payment using the debit card details supplied by me to make the purchase, no standing order needed. I got my bank to cancel the payments there and then plus a refund. I then phoned the Product Support provider and Currys to tell them that I had cancelled the service and what my thoughts were on such business practices and where my future custom would not go. The thing I object to is the way that it is done by stealth, similar to Amazon Prime example, with the onus on you to cancel something you did not specifically ask for anyway, taking time and effort plus they are always premium rate call lines. It's a con Pete.

did you know you have 6 years in uk free cover on any white goods , there's an act by law protecting consumers , so you do not need to take out insurance. if they are faulty white goods in this time frame . i did it with curry's a couple of years ago and got my tv fix for nothing , at first they said it was out of warranty , which i agreed with , but put to them right about the white goods act 1989 , and the as#e went tight , and backed down.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I never knew about that CattyFatty - thanks just looked it up

cattyfatty

Reaction score
I never knew about that CattyFatty - thanks just looked it up

there should be something like the bank loans protection where the courts got money back for the customers who did not need it .
just like with white goods act , how many people have paid for extra cover when you where covered in the first place.
and the thing that bugs me , your big company's know this like curry's and the others , but still sell extra cover to you.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
there should be something like the bank loans protection where the courts got money back for the customers who did not need it .
just like with white goods act , how many people have paid for extra cover when you where covered in the first place.
and the thing that bugs me , your big company's know this like curry's and the others , but still sell extra cover to you.

I think your absolutely right , I imagine though some might have problems convincing there local white goods superstore , someone I know has been in this exact situation - white goods were relatively new but developed a fault and were told to contact the manfuacturer. The manufacturer didn't want to know.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
I think your absolutely right , I imagine though some might have problems convincing there local white goods superstore , someone I know has been in this exact situation - white goods were relatively new but developed a fault and were told to contact the manfuacturer. The manufacturer didn't want to know.

i think your case lies with the firm you paid your white goods from , not the manufacturer ,where the firm will have to put a claim in with manufacturer to recoup cost they have had to pay out.
i'm no lawyer in these matter, just think its common sense.
your contract is with the company you parted with your dosh.
just like if you got a reel from a local tackle shop you would take it back and ask them to sort it out, without going to the manufacturer ...