Line for a centre pin

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Got to spool up my new CP and need a bit of advice, line will be Drennan Floatfish, 3.2lb and I appreciate I will need no more than 100m, I've got plenty of old line I can use as backing but there is no info regarding the spool capacity. Tried the Hardy's website without any joy, any pointers on the capacity of the 4" Conquest version and how far from the rim should I spool up to (or does it matter?)

All advice appreciated

Ian

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I wouldn't load more line than about 40/50m or you'll find it beds in too much.
Incidentally I tried Drennan float fish line in 2lb 8oz BS and even with only 30m on the spool it bedded in. Binned it and went back to trusty old 4lb Sensor....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No need for backing, just spool up enough to cover the length of any of the glides your gonn'a be fishing with a little extra. At the end of the day pull it off and bin it and then spool up fresh line when you go again...using daiwa sensor in bulk spools makes this a viable thing to do.

I know people will give negative comments regarding sensor but belive me the line is excellent.

peterjg

Reaction score
The above two posts are correct, use 4lb Sensor. Load the line so that it comes off of the top of the spool - it is definately better. This last remark will undoubtedly rattle a few chains as always, never the less, it's the best way. I can hear the moans now - "Oh no not yet another centrepin thread!"

barbelboi

Reaction score
I wouldn't load more line than about 40/50m or you'll find it beds in too much.
Incidentally I tried Drennan float fish line in 2lb 8oz BS and even with only 30m on the spool it bedded in. Binned it and went back to trusty old 4lb Sensor....

Never had the 3.2 bed in Simon - I rarely put on any more than around 35m though..

robertroach

Reaction score
I'm another one who also uses 4lb Sensor, also off the top of the drum. I use a 6" diameter pin so I need to keep the line coming off the top of the drum to keep it running nicely into the butt ring.

xenon

Reaction score
no need to put on more than the longest trot (plus 5 meters). Have used rennin supplex for 2 seasons and find it very good-supple, abrasion resistant and floats well.

edsurf

Reaction score
Peter I find the 3.2 float fish beds in a little bit after playing a decent fish, the 4 is better on the float fish so it might be line size rather than make. I also find the 3.2 beds a little more after I use float spray.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I use the Drennan Float in 2.6 and 3.2, never had a problem with it, I only put 50mt on at a time and change it quite regularly.

Bob