Baits you've not used

wes79

Reaction score
Blackberries (apparently the local Chub eat them in late summer when ripe and fall into the water)

Live baits (Roach, Dace & Minnow etc)...not sure I ever will either, but never say never and all that as if fishing purely for sustenance then I would defo.

Pop-ups, Bollies, Grasshoppers & croutanz (the original soup surface/pop up bait for humans :D)

honey comb, Wasp grub & "gozzer" (blowfly larvae)

weetabix, wheaties, malties, Maltezers, dog & cat food

Last edited:

yoffer

Reaction score
Slugs, as much as I hear they are a great chub bait I just can't face handling them.

greenie62

Reaction score
Slugs, as much as I hear they are a great chub bait I just can't face handling them.

Try using some latex/plastic surgical gloves - you can get a big pack of them at the £1 shop (don't ask how much?! ;))

Always useful to carry round - if you don't want to fork out on Marigolds - to protect your delicate little hands from coloured/flavoured groundbaits or maggots or glugs. Also very useful for gripping rod/pole sections that are sticking!

yoffer

Reaction score
Fair play, that's a really good idea, I've got loads of those gloves at work for the staff and they never use them. :)

xenon

Reaction score
livebaiting-done it once, didn't feel good about it so never again. Fake/plastic baits-no doubt they can work but have no confidence in them.

yoffer

Reaction score
Yep never had any faith in fake baits on there own but I've had success with them alongside non fake baits.

ken more

Reaction score
Try using some latex/plastic surgical gloves - you can get a big pack of them at the £1 shop (don't ask how much?! ;))

Always useful to carry round - if you don't want to fork out on Marigolds - to protect your delicate little hands from coloured/flavoured groundbaits or maggots or glugs. Also very useful for gripping rod/pole sections that are sticking!

£1.50p in the pound shop nearest me:eek:mg:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If gloveless, use a large leaf. Slugs are very tough, just nick a barbless hook through the margin of the foot so the point stays clear; if it has time to get off, there probably weren't any chub in the swim. Slugs seem to work best when you can see the fish you're after... that's highly subjective and based on a tragically small data set, so I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

Of the old favourites, I've never tried Greaves or brains-and-pith (because of unavailability), rice or pearl barley (laziness), or chopped worms (eeeww!).

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Agreed.
I haven't used rice pudding for bait, or a boiled egg, or shredded wheat. Or a brick.

I have seen a few nutters try the concrete block method of fishing to no avail thou . :) .
They normally end up getting soaked Oh dear did the best bib & tucker get a little wt and muddy shameeeeeee :wh

PG .