Hot water outlets...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
.. Reading KeithM's report about catching a guppy at the Ovaltine factory hot water outlet on another thread it reminded me of the winter days on that stretch of the GUC. Those pegs on the towpath opposite the outlet were hard to get on unless you were up early. It was black with all species and fantastic fishing. The other local hot water outlet I remember was on the river Gade below the ****inson paper mills on Croxley moor..remember Croxley script writing paper? The roach and dace fishing was phenomenal using tiny pinches of flake trotted downstream. We were convinced that the fish were eating the flecks of paper pumped out in the warm emission of water so we tried to copy it with bread
anyone else have fond memories of outlets in your area, maybe some still exist?

nicepix

Reaction score
There was, possibly still is one at the Trebor Basset factory on the River Don at Hilsborough that is a hot spot (sorry) for trout and grayling. You have to cast right across the river into the last 6" or so of water to get bites.

Another one, probably gone now was near the Hovis bakery at Rotherham. Chub & carp were the target species there.

The best I have ever fished though was the outlet to a power station in the North Sea. That held a vast amount of bass all winter. The first time I fished it was a fly-forum weekend meet up and unbeknown to us the station had been closed down for a couple of days just before we got there. Nobody caught a thing off the beach for two days. Most of the lads went home early and only three of us had the last morning fishing. I still caught nothing but my two mates had over a hundred bass between them. I just couldn't hook one no matter what I did. I went back a year later with a mate though and it was a fish a chuck for both of us.

flightliner

Reaction score
In the film "The Full Monty" theres a scene where the hero (s) are stood on a car roof in the middle of the canal as a guy walks past with a dog. On the dog walkers bank, almost the very spot is a six inch warm water outlet from the factory just below the surface.
Anytime you care to look you will see a carp with its head stuck up the pipe!.

thecrow

Reaction score
Warm water outlet on the cut in Leicester was where I first started Carp fishing in 1962, bait was a lump of Edam cast up the outlet, used to catch the bus there on Friday evening and the first bus back on Sunday morning, had to keep an eye on the Edam or the rats would be away with it.

cg74

Reaction score
On the northern side of Banbury there used to be an Alcan aluminium extrusion plant with a warm water outlet into the Oxford canal. I remember it very well, except the date. It was roughly 1985/86, there had been quite a long cold spell. With most of the canal being covered by a sheet of ice a foot thick.
Even the adjacent river Cherwell was frozen over and had been for sometime, so when my mate said he knew of a spot that would be ice free, despite being rather dubious about it all, I went along.
And to cut a long story short I caught a 18lb 2oz deep orange common scaled koi and a few tench.

Another warm outlet, which was a complete chance find. Back in Jan 2010 when we had over a foot of snow and the temp had been sub zero day and night for about 2 weeks. I was chub fishing on the Cherwell and kept hearing splashing and slurping coming from the canal behind me.
When I got up to answer a call of nature, I caught a glimpse of a small carp of about 8lb roll on the far bank of the canal.
I put a few pieces of crust nearby, the result was pretty inevitable but very welcome. It's often that you catch carp off the top in sub zero temps.:)
The warm outlet was a small sewage treatment works.

john step

Reaction score
.. Reading KeithM's report about catching a guppy at the Ovaltine factory hot water outlet on another thread it reminded me of the winter days on that stretch of the GUC. Those pegs on the towpath opposite the outlet were hard to get on unless you were up early. It was black with all species and fantastic fishing. The other local hot water outlet I remember was on the river Gade below the ****inson paper mills on Croxley moor..remember Croxley script writing paper? The roach and dace fishing was phenomenal using tiny pinches of flake trotted downstream. We were convinced that the fish were eating the flecks of paper pumped out in the warm emission of water so we tried to copy it with bread
anyone else have fond memories of outlets in your area, maybe some still exist?

Every now again they would flush out the pipes at the Oveltine factory.
I expect the Environment Agency would have something to say about it nowadays.
One day I watched the start of the flushing and the water flowing down the canal turned the colour of Oveltine. Swimming ahead of it to get out of the way was a huge shoal of big carp. Needless to say you couldn't catch a thing downstream for days.

My daughter lived on a new complex on the old Croxley Moor stretch until recently. There are still loads of chub there. One spring day I stood watching large numbers of chub churning in the gravel spawning below the weir.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
A factory I worked at had the Coventry canal running through it, there was a hot water outlet from a solvent recovery plant that went into the canal where Carp would congregate, a mate who's job was checking various things around the factory had been watching the Carp one day and as he walked away his bleep went off, before he knew it he was running back to the canal thinking he had a run, I suspect it was a result of spending the previous 10 days Carp fishing in Holland.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Back in the sixties there was the legendary electricity cuts outflow on the river Nene, the scene of many big Carp captures, to the likes of Fred Wagstaffe, and Jim Gibbinson. A milestone in Carp fishing history.

john step

Reaction score
Lol!, just had to re read mine and discovered theres a full on working factory below the surface of the Sheffield canal!:D.-------- Doh!!.:eek:mg:

We all do it! Its lucky nobody is marking us for an exam... On here you get was for were, to for too , there for they are etc but what really gets me scratching my head is when a younger "with it" member uses text talk abbreviations. Its like doing a magazine puzzle:wh Hours of fun.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive 2 affirm, sum of d txt tlk cn B vry confuzn.

P

pointngo

I used to fish a canal when I was a kid that had a hot water outlet. It came out of the bank at your feet and went straight across the other side where it split both ways. It was also just a couple of hundred yards from the lake I taught myself to pike fish on, which was handy.

You'd drop a small waggler off the end of your rod and trot it to the far side, where it would change direction so you could trot it along the far margin. Had some great days roach fishing there. I once had 7½lb of nice roach in two hours on my birthday, when all I went there for was to catch a few livebaits for the following day... then caught my 2nd biggest pike at the time the next day. :D

All the carp used to also congregate within a few 100m of it when it got cold and you could catch 10-15 carp a day in ice and snow with a ledger rod and a couple of tins of sweetcorn.

The lime factory is still there but there's been no hot water for years, but this thread is a nice reminder of some fond childhood memories. :w

jon atkinson

Reaction score
We used to fish a stretch of the Saint Helens canal at the back of the Pilkington glass factory. It was known locally as the hotties and contained an eclectic mix of indigenous and tropical fish. I haven't been for decades & couldn't even say whether it's still 'hot' as Pilks was taken over by a Japanese firm but some happy memories.

The bad one

Reaction score
The Trent from Rugeley down river to the tidal 60s, 70s and early 80s :D
Part of the Sankey St. Helens Canal. Rochdale Canal Chadderton, behind the power station. Bridgewater canal behind Keloggs factory.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Isn't there a lake in Hampshire belonging to one of the oil companies with hot water (?) pipes running under the surface keeping the temps up in Winter?
Esso?:wh

B

binka

Not an outlet as such but there was much local interest when a series of huge heat exchangers were floated out and sunk into a local res a few years ago which in turn heat the new hospital that's been built nearby...

Quite a few shady looking characters in various fishing logo'd apparel hanging around at the time noting exactly where they were being sunk :cool: :wh