strong winds

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Tis weekend I'm finally getting time to go fishing and the weather was looking ok - then the wind picked up - looking at 25mile an hour gusts - looks like I'll leave the brolly at home and fish the feeder

2nd thought the feeder rod tip will probably bounce about in the winds - might have to be float fished over depth with plenty of shot to anchor it to the bottom

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Tis weekend I'm finally getting time to go fishing and the weather was looking ok - then the wind picked up - looking at 25mile an hour gusts - looks like I'll leave the brolly at home and fish the feeder

2nd thought the feeder rod tip will probably bounce about in the winds - might have to be float fished over depth with plenty of shot to anchor it to the bottom

Should have put this in 'General Fishing' M'Lud, I thought you'd started another "Sprout" thread :D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There is an inline swingtip , can't remember the name of it , though I have two.
You can use it in high wind as the swing tip is down by your reel.

nicepix

Reaction score
You have spotted that I've moved this to General Fishing...as requested.

...oh the buzz of such power. :eek:mg:

I thought the wind had blown it here.

Strong winds are often very good for fishing. Especially when it is bringing warmer temperatures in winter. We've got gusty south-westerlies at the moment bringing warmer temps and light rain - perfect!

I've been out working all day and have promised to help a friend tomorrow, again all day, and so I'm just hoping that it lasts until Sunday.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sat here now thinking to myself that conditions like these would have had me camping out for big barbel a few years ago. Watch the reports in the weeklies in the next week or two.

maceo

Reaction score
I thought the wind had blown it here.

Strong winds are often very good for fishing. Especially when it is bringing warmer temperatures in winter. We've got gusty south-westerlies at the moment bringing warmer temps and light rain - perfect!

I've been out working all day and have promised to help a friend tomorrow, again all day, and so I'm just hoping that it lasts until Sunday.

So how have you been fishing in this wind then? I was puzzling about this when I drove over the bridge over the river this morning and was looking down at the river.

You couldn't fish a feeder and tip because the wind would just blow it about and it'd be hard or impossible to tell when you've got a bite.

You couldn't fish a float because a) it'd disappear below the waves and b) trying to handle/cast a light float rig in this wind would be a nightmare.

I see what's said about the inline swingtip up above, but how else could you effectively fish in this?

denzinho

Reaction score
I didn't think I was going to get out this weekend due to the wind. Nicepix's post is encouraging me to go brave the elements and go find a Chub or 2.

nicepix

Reaction score
So how have you been fishing in this wind then? I was puzzling about this when I drove over the bridge over the river this morning and was looking down at the river.

You couldn't fish a feeder and tip because the wind would just blow it about and it'd be hard or impossible to tell when you've got a bite.

You couldn't fish a float because a) it'd disappear below the waves and b) trying to handle/cast a light float rig in this wind would be a nightmare.

I see what's said about the inline swingtip up above, but how else could you effectively fish in this?

I'll be fishing for barbel. 1.75lb tc rod, 3 or 4 oz quiver tip and find a sheltered spot where I can fish a near bank swim. As Titus has said; watch the catch reports next week in the angling papers. This sort of weather usually results in large barbel being caught.

But, I have also had some cracking days float fishing in very windy conditions using a cork and quill ducker float with about 1" tip showing. The float disappears under a wave and if it doesn't show when the wave has passed; strike.

Pike fishing is good too as the wind will allow the float to cover a lot of water, but you can ledger using a line clip and open spool without too much difficulty.

B

binka

Pike fishing is good too as the wind will allow the float to cover a lot of water, but you can ledger using a line clip and open spool without too much difficulty.

All geared up and ready to go with a couple of large dumpy sliders ready for the river in the morning, got a couple of packs of roach thawing right now and alarm set for 5.45.

Wind's really howling here, I just hope it keeps it up... Can't wait! :w

nicepix

Reaction score
All geared up and ready to go with a couple of large dumpy sliders ready for the river in the morning, got a couple of packs of roach thawing right now and alarm set for 5.45.

Wind's really howling here, I just hope it keeps it up... Can't wait! :w

Hope you do well Steve. :)

I had promised some friends I would help in their garden all day. It was supposed to be set in stone no matter what the weather. I've just walked the dog and it is warm, wet and windy - ideal for fishing. But in Dordogneshire where our friends live it is peeing it down and they have postponed until lunchtime and / or tomorrow morning. So, that's my fishing plans ruined for tomorrow! Bah! :(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If the water warms up enough it might induce a few carp to feed.
Strong winds I find a bit favorable. Although this will not apply now, I have a theory that choppy water in clear water conditions diffuses the light in some way that makes it harder for predators to hunt, therefore prey fish are a bit more active as they feel a bit safer. Just a theory.
With my thin tipped float rod I find stret pegging and just holding the rod in windy conditions fishing close in works to a point. Not so much seeing the float as feeling the bites as well. It does mean missing some fish though.

maceo

Reaction score
So on a river with really strong fast moving flow down the middle and choppy waves and whirlpools etc in the margins both sides, whereabouts is the best place to fish do you reckon?

I should mention that the far side is inaccessible and quiet trees and fields, whereas the near side is the Thames path where people walk their dogs and boats sometimes park up etc.

There's some tree trunks and other blockages etc that cause still-ish pools with swirling edges on both sides, but I reckon trying to cast over the other side consistently in a wind is pretty much asking the impossible. Then also, if you're fishing far side you've got more line dragging in the torrent making detecting bites very tough.

From experience, fishing out in the mid-stream in the full fast flow does nothing. That 10 or 15 feet of main flow seems barren - is that others experience too?

That leaves close in and as I mentioned earlier, the problem of sticks and branches and rubbish. Those gather more around the pools and the water even looks oily on the top sometimes - doesn't look like where I'd go if I were a fish.

If you were tackling that river in conditions like that, whereabouts would you be looking?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just seen a black cat get blown off my garden fence and on the way to the shop for a loaf this morning I was overtaken at 80mph by a man hanging on to a wheely bin.

mike47

Reaction score
Got up this morning amazed that my garden fence was still standing. Will keep my eye on it all day. I know there are places where I can fish in shelter on my local lake, but will hang on for a day or two and hope things calm down. Best wishes to all the brave anglers that go out today!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Up here in "sunny" Aberdeen we have had two nights of really high winds.

Last night the wind was close to 85mph and this morning everywhere you looked there was rubbish, litter and wheelie bins strewn across the roads.

Even the windows in my hotel room were beginning to bow and the curtains were moving even though the windows were closed.

This afternoon it has calmed a fair bit, but still high winds but with some blue sky and a little sunshine.

Outside of my office window the River Dee looks quite nice now but has some pretty large "waves" blowing downstream.

Update: Forget the sunshine, the temperature had dropped drastically and now . . . .. it is flipping Snowing!!!!!

Grrrrrr!

Last edited: