Pre-baiting

wes79

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on pre-baiting a swim/s for river Carp & Barbel.
Is there a best time? Over how long a period do you normally expect to pre-bait and is it essentially creating a false sense of food security? How much of the intended hook bait do you use, do you just keep a visual or do you not think its even worth the bother?

B

binka

Speaking purely from my own experience Wes the barbel in the large river which I fish are quite widespread but tend to move around in large shoals with the exception of a few banker swims where you are likely to catch regardless.

I can’t see a benefit of long term pre-baiting in these circumstances, I’m not saying it won’t work but if the fish aren’t in the area you are pre-baiting to begin with then it could be an expensive waste of time if you don’t know what frequency or conditions takes them there and what's not to say that the bait will not just lay on the bottom for hours before getting eaten at a time which you are not fishing?

The other thing to consider is the population of fish… A large shoal of barbel will mop up a large amount of bait in next to no time before doing what they are programmed to do which is move on and look for more grub.

I think that location on the day is really the key and perhaps prepping a few different swims before methodically working your way through them until you find the fish and when you do then pile some more in when your bites tail off.

Piling it in could of course have the opposite effect on a small river and spook the lot but I don’t know the type of venue you have in mind.

Again in my experience I find that river carp are even more localised, if you can find ‘em in the first place then by all means give it a go pre-baiting in the hope that they will more readily take a hookbait but you’re already more than halfway there with the location.

The only thing I will add is that I’ve found that really piling it in often leads to the bigger fish, presumably as they gain confidence and home in on the smaller feeding fish that would otherwise have mopped up smaller amounts of bait before they get there and move away from a barren riverbed.

law

Reaction score
Pre baiting builds up fishes confidence. So even if there are fish there already, it can mean you can continue to catch from the same spot and they wont be spooked by your hook bait.

I pre bait all the time. Infact 90% of anglers do. Its as simple as baiting up a margin swim while fishing out infront of you. So anyone who sais it doesnt work is talking rubbish.

But in a case like yours, Id bait ever other day for 10 days to 2 weeks. Depending on the stock, up to 5-6kilo each time, then fish it starting from the time you notmally bajt up.
Maize is a cheap option. 15kilo sacks are dirt cheap. Id also add some pellet, 8mm amd a few 14mm and also use them on the hair when it comes to fishing.

laguna

Reaction score
Prebaiting works because it attracts and holds fish, gives them confidence to feed and encourages them to return to the same area - particularly if you use a quality real-food bait in the absence of other anglers choice baits.

I don't personally prebait frequently days ahead like some because;
a. I don't have enough time and
b. I cant visit a river without wetting a line
but what I do do is (energy permitting) prebait certain swims along a stretch on the day and then fish each one in turn, starting at the first moving on every half hour or so until I get a bite... unless its pissing it down in which case ill sometimes sit under a brolly and prebait a reserved far swim while trotting down the middle or a nearside feature.