shakey1

Reaction score
Hi
will the method feeder catch big carp?
because my mate said"you will only catch small carp on the method"
what do you think?

thecrow

Reaction score
Depends on the water that you use it on, it is certainly not just a small fish method. When used on waters containing big fish it has been very productive, when it was first used on Horseshoe it was THE method to use.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason the method seems to catch smaller shoal fish is because it was designed to cause a competition for particles buried in a ball of groundbait.

When used properly with regular casting it can cause a frenzy with fish competing for the bait as it hits the surface and following the feeder down picking off lumps and particles as they break away from the main ball.

In this situation the larger fish will often be on the outside of the shoal. This is not, as many people believe, because they are more wary or cleverer, it is simply because they are not as agile as the smaller fish and struggle to compete in this situation, think of a big ship surrounded by speedboats.

The way to pick off the larger fish is to dump the short hook length which is usually associated with the method and use one around 2 foot long with a high visibility slow sinking bait.
Don't tuck the bait into the ball as you usually would when fishing the method as the idea is for it to fall away from the main action and into the range of the larger fish on the outside of the action.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

nicepix

Reaction score
In this situation the larger fish will often be on the outside of the shoal. This is not, as many people believe, because they are more wary or cleverer, it is simply because they are not as agile as the smaller fish and struggle to compete in this situation, think of a big ship surrounded by speedboats.

That can also be the case with surface feeding. If I feed a cloud groundbait in a Cypriot harbour invariably it gets mobbed by the tiny fish. But underneath, a few feet down, I see larger mullet and bass cruising under the frenzy taking any larger particles that sink through the melee. I fish a larger bait than can be taken by the small stuff, a couple of feet down.

So, in the method feeder situation I would fish normally for a while until I was sure that the smaller carp are feeding greedily and then pop a different, longer hook length on with a larger bait.

denzinho

Reaction score
because my mate said"you will only catch small carp on the method"

First lesson I learnt when I started is to ignore what other people say and try your own styles of Fishing. It's way more enjoyable when experimenting.

Welcome to the forum mate :thumbs: