Bivvy choice

nolan1977

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a bivvy, I have found a few and some feedback would be great.

Vision Kashkym XT 1 Man Dome Bivvy | GO Outdoors

Vision Kenwick Quick Rib Shelter | GO Outdoors

TFGear Force 8 Speed Lite Bivvy, 1 man | GO Outdoors

TFGear Force 8 Bivvy (2 Man) | GO Outdoors

Carp Kinetics | Twin Rib Bivvy | Bivvies and shelters

I need one that will have a dual purpose, a day shelter and also for night/winter sessions

If any one has one of these some advise would be great

Thanks

Nolan

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Nolan

I know nothing about these bivvy's, but going by the adverts, I think I would go for the Vision Kashkym 1 man dome bivvy, as it has a double skin, which you will need if you are going to fish in winter conditions !!

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
My bivvy is a Trakker Armo so not on your list.

However my observation would be that trying to get one product to cover day shelter (lightweight and portable) and also winter sessions at night (twin skin and heavy duty), may be a real challenge. Let us know how you get on.

B

binka

I've been half heartedly toying with the idea of buying a bivvy for some time but couldn't find anything really versatile enough for what I wanted, the best I came up with was something like this where you have choice of having it as a standard 60" wrap around brolly or a bivvy with the front panel added in and there are various manufacturers, some with winter overwraps that would fit...

NEW Trakker MOD 60 Carp Fishing Brolly | eBay

NEW Trakker Mod 60 Carp Fishing Umbrella Brolly Full Infill Panel Only - 202210 | eBay

Trakker NEW Carp Fishing Shelter MOD 60" Brolly Full Insect/Mozzy Panel | eBay

Or a different make with winter overwrap...

Wychwood Solace 50 inch HD Brolly & Overwrap Combined RRP £339.99.NOW £144.99. | eBay

Probably not the best at one particular discipline but quite a versatile choice of different modes to use it in.

nicepix

Reaction score
Just be aware that the RRP on TFG products is a joke. I doubt if they have ever sold anything for full RRP. Don't think that you are getting a bargain because they've knocked 50% off.

I have also been disappointed with the quality of the three TFG items I have bought.

B

binka

I have also been disappointed with the quality of the three TFG items I have bought.

Only ever touched one product of TFG, in my case a pair of fishing boots that weren't waterproof :eek:mg:

Vowed never to buy another one of their products again and so far holding strong to that.

law

Reaction score
All those in your initial list are utter turd.
If you want something cheap, go second hand. JRC and Chub make some cheaper ones and are miles better. They also have extras- overwarp, tension poles etc.

law

Reaction score
You don't need a double skin.
Plenty of people, me included use brollys all yearn round

B

binka

Many thanks gents.

I found this on Ebay and some feedback would be great

NEW CARP FISHING BROLLY SYSTEM 60" | eBay

It looks fine to me considering it's only single skin, I think you can buy an overwrap separately to fit over but if it's a permanent sewn in front panel I reckon I still prefer the separate individual options so I could configure it as I like depending on length of stay, distance to carry, conditions etc... Other than that it's pretty much the same type of thing I posted the links to earlier.

Not to say that's right for everyone though, like law I currently make do with a straight forward brolly with a couple of storm pole attachments although I rarely do overnighters these days in winter... It does me fine throughout the rest of the year.

nolan1977

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Im still confused about what to get.

LAW - you said that you use a brolly all year round. Which one would you recommend ?

Ia am 6'4" tall so i need something with a decent amount of headroom.

I want something that doesn't take an hour to put, especially if its raining.
Im not to stressed about it having a double skin as I have really warm winter camping gear.

Thanks

Nolan

john step

Reaction score
All this talk of overnight sleeping in bivvies in the winter is making me feel quite faint.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had a Tracker big Z bivvy and sold it without even using it. Imo it was nothing special and have since got myself a TFG two man model (for the few times I need one) and I really like it, it has a built in ground sheet and second skin. It's easy to pop up and down (with a couple of trial runs first). They are nice and roomy inside with a handy porch also.
Unlike others i've had some crackin' items from TFG and their service is second to none, they'll refund or replace items, or even swap items without any quibbling about.

I did once get a pair of those waterproof boots that where like sponges... so i'm not saying all their gear is tip top.

The bad one

Reaction score
I've had a Tracker big Z bivvy and sold it without even using it. Imo it was nothing special and have since got myself a TFG two man model (for the few times I need one) and I really like it, it has a built in ground sheet and second skin. It's easy to pop up and down (with a couple of trial runs first). They are nice and roomy inside with a handy porch also.
Unlike others i've had some crackin' items from TFG and their service is second to none, they'll refund or replace items, or even swap items without any quibbling about.

I did once get a pair of those waterproof boots that where like sponges... so i'm not saying all their gear is tip top.
Tigger You have a Bivvy? You heathen you :D Must be difficult if not impossible trotting stick and pin from inside that. :D

On a serious note I have a Daiwa brolly system which is similar to the one you've put in the picture. It's good for overnights and up to two nights, any longer I prefer to take a bivvy dome double skin. Not the pram hood types though. Not sure you can get the types (1 & 2 man) I have these days as it was made by Realm.
There is a draw back with the brolly system on very cold nights and that's condensation forming on the inside and dripping on you.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I also have a 60" Oval JRC umbrella for summertime fishing, but come the winter and it a double skin bivvy for me !!

Bob

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

You don't need a double skin.
Plenty of people, me included use brollys all yearn round

Yea, if you are happy to have condensation dripping on you all night !!

Bob

law

Reaction score
Yea, if you are happy to have condensation dripping on you all night !!

Bob

ive had condensation dripping on me from twin skin bivvies too.
But the Big Snooze sleeping bag has a waterproof throw so no probs there.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Thanks for all the replies. Im still confused about what to get.

LAW - you said that you use a brolly all year round. Which one would you recommend ?

Ia am 6'4" tall so i need something with a decent amount of headroom.

I want something that doesn't take an hour to put, especially if its raining.
Im not to stressed about it having a double skin as I have really warm winter camping gear.

Thanks

Nolan

I use the brolly more in the winter than in the summer. Mainly because it is easier to dry out and gathers less mud.

You will need something without conventional ribs for good head room. The one linked earlier will have conventional ribs.
You will need something like the Supa Brolly or Wychwood, but they are both more expensive than the ones posted.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
1 Man Carp Fishing Shelter Day Bivvy Coarse Brolly Waterproof Tent RRP £159.99 | eBay
i got one of these off ebay last year for day shelter paid around £45 for one
plenty of room and quick to put up in a couple of minutes , worth the money if you can get one cheap.this one at £32.00 at the moment with 7 hours left to go
and has others that you can bid on , just waiting game till one is cheap and no one bids to high , he has loads that he put on ebay that you can bid on.

Last edited: