Halibut pellets......

wes79

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been done before.

So what are your views on this folks?

(Edit:I have lots of pellet in differing sizes, drilled and un drilled for banding or hair rigging and the smaller for light hand feeding/PVA etc but am I killing fish continuing to use them?)

John Baker Baits

Halibut Pellets…The Dangers of 'Catching-Fish-at-all-Costs'

John Baker

In the past few years there will be very few anglers who have not used commercially made fish pellets as bait. In fact, fish pellets are now used in virtually all branches of the sport, from the match circuit to specimen hunting and in the pleasure sector too. Trout, salmon, halibut and other marine pellet varieties make great baits and these are now very big business.

Average weights of the most popular target species, such as carp and barbel, seem to be increasing every year. As a result, there has been an increase in specimen-hunter style angling as well as a huge increase in the popularity of carp-match fishing. The pursuit of ever larger “Personal Best” specimen fish and match targets becomes the motivation behind angling methods and tactics. In short, there is now a new breed of angler and I am concerned that this situation has in fact produced anglers with a “catch-at-all costs” attitude. These are the individuals who will not hesitate to use unsporting or ruthless tactics to achieve their goals. They are likely to break fishery rules on the basis that they are unlikely to be caught. They are prepared to use any amount of bait in order to gain an edge over others. More critically, they are prepared to use bait that could be damaging the very quarry they seek! Over- baiting with high oil, or high protein bait can have a seriously detrimental effect on the health of fish and this is the basis of my concern.

In recent years high oil content pellets have proved to be one of the leading baits on the coarse fishing scene. In particular salmon pellets and halibut pellets. The danger and concerns of using these baits to excess has been discussed before. In fact, it was more than 10 years ago that many angling clubs and organisations banned their use. It is a fact that the excessive high oil content of these pellets will damage the digestive systems of carp, tench, chub and barbel. After all, about 85% of all commercially made fish feed pellets are designed for trout, salmon and other marine species they not formulated for coarse fish! It may shock many anglers to hear that the oil content of many trout and salmon pellets is up to 20% and the oil content in halibut and marine pellets is up to 46%!

Coarse fish have a totally different mode of digestion, as well as having different nutritional requirements to other species. When we throw our high-oil pellet freebies into the rivers and lakes we are often doing so without knowledge of what other bait is being introduced to the venue. Unlike a fish farm, we have no control over the quantities of food the fish are eating! It may surprise some anglers to know, that just one small handful of halibut pellets can provide a 10lb barbel or carp with most of its nutritional requirements for a week! If more than this amount of free offerings is introduced, it can seriously affect the metabolism of fish. It’s a bit like eating a curry every evening, it would soon make us fat, as well as seriously upsetting our stomachs too!

I believe the indiscriminate use of halibut pellets and other high-oil-content pellets is beginning to seriously affect our sport. When it comes to barbel fisheries, this applies to most, if not all, popular stretches of our rivers! Both I and many friends will confirm that anglers up and down the country, from the Hampshire Avon to the Severn and the Trent to the Ouse often struggle to get bites. Even the most experienced anglers are becoming confused with fish behaviour and at a loss to know why sport is slow, even in seemingly ideal conditions. There is a simple answer to this, the fish are full up!

As the winter approaches and water temperatures drop, all coarse fish find bait more difficult to digest. In fact, when water temperatures drop much below 11 degrees Celsius all cyprinoid species take much longer to digest even their natural food. Some oil and protein-rich bait can actually take several days to pass through their systems. The over-use of semi-indigestible pellets could not only be killing our fishing but actually killing our fish. High-oil content pellets leave nasty fatty deposits in the gut of fish. Liver function is impeded and overall fish behaviour can become lethargic. It is even possible that fish could come to rely on angling bait in the same way a heavy drinker relies on alcohol, yet the addiction masks the slow and inevitable damage being done. Perhaps we should carefully reconsider past reports surrounding the mysterious deaths of huge barbel, especially those that have suddenly grown- quickly over a short period of time? Is it likely that these fish died as a direct result of stress caused by the use and subsequent over reliance of over-rich angler’s bait.

I have, for many years, called upon professionally qualified fish nutritionists to evaluate my views and assist in my own bait research. I believe the findings outlined by fish nutritionist, Pat Haughton of Sparsholt College, are far reaching and significant. We must surely all realize that anglers bait now represents a major percentage of the diet of wild fish. The great weights gained in recent years by carp, barbel, tench and chub, cannot be sustained by natural food alone. As anglers, we are unknowingly disrupting the welfare of our revered quarry. Surely, it is now time to think more carefully about our behaviour and our responsibilities. We must think about the amount of free offerings we introduce to our rivers and lakes. I am not suggesting a total ban on the use of these over-rich baits but would recommend they are severely limited in their use. Why not use a halibut pellet as a hook-bait only and pre-bait with free offerings that have a low oil and low protein content? I am sure our results would be the same and fish health would not suffer.

Most anglers are conservation minded and we all care about any potential damage we may unknowingly be doing to the environment. I am sure we would be shocked if we thought we could be damaging the welfare of our favourite species.

rubio

Reaction score
Any of us having used fishmeal pellets have contributed indirectly to fish death. What are they made of after all. The potential for killing more fish by using processed fish seems accepted, and therefore caution as regards quantities is often promoted. Restraint is difficult to achieve if your aims are short to medium term, even over the course of a single season. The decimation of bait fish like sandeel has been catastrophic to many ecosystems. Now we are moving onto Krill as replacement.
I don't think I would personally call for a ban on marine foodstuffs for coarse fishing but as anglers we promote care of the fish we catch as an example of how much we care. The challenge is how much do we care about the fish harvested commercially to support our activities.

wes79

Reaction score
I know a percentage of mechanically removed meats from the slaughter of animals goes towards Cat and Dog food production but is not necessarily the main reason why the animals are reared is it more to do with becoming a by product that can level out the primary unit cost of the animal in monetary terms, I'm not sure if the same applies for the pellets but would be interested to find out.

Cod liver oil is similar & other oily fish have most of their nutrients removed before being canned, salted or the oil replaced with sunflower oil.

I'm not making excuses, however how much of the Halibut catch actually goes towards fish baits as a primary goal as opposed to being sourced and caught to be sold with say fish&chips?

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
If the over high oil content of halibut pellets concerns you perhaps trout pellets would be better although it should be noted that neither were developed for coarse fish

.Rainbow trout feeds have undergone a shift since the 1970s from being relatively high in protein content and low in total lipid to being lower in protein content and higher in lipid (Hardy, 2002) (Figure 5). Over the same period, the percentage of digestible protein has increased, making modern trout feeds much more efficient and less polluting. An additional change in trout feeds has been a reduction of the percentage of protein supplied by fishmeal and a corresponding increase in the contribution of alternate proteins, mainly plant protein concentrates and rendered animal proteins, such as poultry by product meal. Protein sources are blended to produce an amino acid profile in the feed that meets the dietary amino acid requirements of the fish. Generally, lysine and methionine are the first and second limiting amino acids. DL-methionine is supplemented to trout feeds when high levels of soy proteins are used in the formulation

sam vimes

Reaction score
how much of the Halibut catch actually goes towards fish baits as a primary goal as opposed to being sourced and caught to be sold with say fish&chips?

Halibut pellets are made and formulated for farmed halibut (same as trout pellets being produced for trout farming), not of byproducts of trawler caught halibut.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I believe that 'captive' halibut are very fussy about what they eat - hence the development of the 'halibut pellet' which generally contain fishmeal, fish oil, wheat, fish protein concentrate, crustacean meal, corn product, vitamins and minerals.

wes79

Reaction score
Halibut pellets are made and formulated for farmed halibut (same as trout pellets being produced for trout farming), not of byproducts of trawler caught halibut.

Excuse my ignorance sam + I'm a bit confused here, is that the halibut pellet produced to feed farmed halibut derived from the same source (farmed halibut) or is the pellet just a high oil meal made out of other special fish farmed ingredients or by products that is fed to farmed halibut?

A typical halibut pellet contains low temperature fishmeal, fish oil, wheat, fish protein concentrate, crustacean meal, corn product, vitamins and minerals.
The Truth About Pellets: Part 1 | Total Fishing

Wiki just implies its everything and anything, even by products (so could account for some if not all) of halibut production, I know you probably think I'm splitting hairs here but farmed is easier than trawling for fish that are not there or at least dwindling in numbers.
Fish meal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The fish caught for fishmeal purposes solely are termed "industrial".[3] Other sources of fishmeal are from bycatch of other fisheries and byproducts of trimmings made during processing (fish waste or offal) of various seafood products destined for direct human consumption. Virtually any fish or shellfish in the sea can be used to make fishmeal, although a few rare unexploited species may produce a poisonous meal.

Last edited:

alsoran

Reaction score
To a little more objective about this, Most pellets when they get eaten by fish have been in the water so long that they have washed out, why do you think that the slick they produce fades after a time??

It is only in winter that 'high oil' bait's become a problem as the oil becomes thicker and hard for the fish to digest. Pellets don't break down as fast in the cold. Far more harm comes from using large amount's of chopped meat, that can't break down and leaves a thick white fatty scum over the bottom of the lakes it is used on.

wes79

Reaction score
I believe that 'captive' halibut are very fussy about what they eat - hence the development of the 'halibut pellet' which generally contain fishmeal, fish oil, wheat, fish protein concentrate, crustacean meal, corn product, vitamins and minerals.

ok I got that :):D so its effectively a formula suited best for halibut farming.
I always assumed "halibut pellets" were actually made of halibut meal & oil :D:eek:mg::eek:

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
ok I got that :):D so its effectively a formula suited best for halibut farming.
I always assumed "halibut pellets" were actually made of halibut meal & oil :D:eek:mg::eek:

Have you seen how much halibut goes for on the fish markets :eek: :eek:

:D:D:D

flightliner

Reaction score
An old aunt of my wife used to drive a flatback lorry for a dealer in the old Sheffield rag n tag market.
One day she was delivering an enormous halibut that slid off the back when doing a turn on a corner with a slight incline.
It stopped all the traffic around the old law courts until four co-workers arrived to haul the monster back onto the lorry.
Sorry, just thought it interesting--- back to the real thread!

B

binka

An old aunt of my wife used to drive a flatback lorry for a dealer in the old Sheffield rag n tag market.
One day she was delivering an enormous halibut that slid off the back when doing a turn on a corner with a slight incline.
It stopped all the traffic around the old law courts until four co-workers arrived to haul the monster back onto the lorry.
Sorry, just thought it interesting--- back to the real thread!

Can you imagine walking along minding your own business when a giant fish suddenly slaps down in the middle of the road? :D

As another aside, it's amazing what lengths some will go to in order to protect their secret pellet glug recipie, trained attack dogs are not unheard of...

nicepix

Reaction score
Can you imagine walking along minding your own business when a giant fish suddenly slaps down in the middle of the road? :D

As another aside, it's amazing what lengths some will go to in order to protect their secret pellet glug recipie, trained attack dogs are not unheard of...

Now if that was my spaniel she would be guarding an empty jar and sitting with an innocent expression like this > :wh

laguna

Reaction score
Flight, I once had to climb up (yes actually climb) on top of a huge frozen halibut to get to the other side of the warehouse (I was buying some Norwegian prawns at the time) but not before having to step up onto yet another, somewhat smaller specimen which was without any exaggeration; over 18ft long! Both these fish covered the entire warehouse floor and I can honestly say I have never seen anything so big in all my life as those two fish, I even searched the net for pictures since and nothing compares... they must have broke the jib!

As for high oil pellets, We cant have it all ways... pellets designed for farmed halibut and salmon are too rich and damaging for coarse fish long term, but its also difficult to deny that coarse fish like them and that anglers will continue using them. Its a (not very simple) case of educating anglers to restrict there use in cold conditions and to use them in far less quantities in warmer conditions.

Its also worth pointing out that not all Halibut pellets are equally saturated with oil, we substitute some of the oil in ours with GLM extract!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Halibut are impressive but they must be awful things to catch, I hooked a stingray in the Canaries which was an estimated 8 foot wingspan (the skipper wouldn't have it on the boat and cut the line) that thing nearly broke my back so god knows what landing a big Halibut must be like.

Love the story about the lady trucker but coming from a family which lays claim to having three generations of truckers in it going back nearly 100 years (father, grandfather and brother) I have to say if she had roped and sheeted it properly she wouldn't have had a problem.

flightliner

Reaction score
Flight, I once had to climb up (yes actually climb) on top of a huge frozen halibut to get to the other side of the warehouse (I was buying some Norwegian prawns at the time) but not before having to step up onto yet another, somewhat smaller specimen which was without any exaggeration; over 18ft long! Both these fish covered the entire warehouse floor and I can honestly say I have never seen anything so big in all my life as those two fish, I even searched the net for pictures since and nothing compares... they must have broke the jib!

As for high oil pellets, We cant have it all ways... pellets designed for farmed halibut and salmon are too rich and damaging for coarse fish long term, but its also difficult to deny that coarse fish like them and that anglers will continue using them. Its a (not very simple) case of educating anglers to restrict there use in cold conditions and to use them in far less quantities in warmer conditions.

Its also worth pointing out that not all Halibut pellets are equally saturated with oil, we substitute some of the oil in ours with GLM extract!

laguna, its true, I often see guys on the Trent ladling pellets in the river by the bucketfull, soooooo not necessary. Lack of knowledge, vested interests-- who can tell but cutting back somewhat would be better for all and everything concerned.
I,m not saying not to use them but a little more moderation should be considered.

ps--- any thoughts of the weights of those giant halibut???

Titus- fully appreciate your comments about the beast to be sheeted and roped but she wasnt an angler and the relationship between fish and breaking strains of lines wouldnt have meant much to her---lol.

Last edited:

wes79

Reaction score
While we are derailed Can halibut pellets be introduced to fish curry at all (hide the taste but maybe add to the nutrition) :confused:

Might be worth a dabble, I've eaten dog biscuits (boneo's and marrow biscuits are quite nice) :w

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
ps--- any thoughts of the weights of those giant halibut???
To put it into some kind of context (bearing in mind this was 22 years ago and the Alaskan real-big ones are now virtually non existent), the smallest was three times the size of this rod caught world record at 500lb+ http://i.imgur.com/nvRcyJM.jpg
The biggest one in the warehouse was bigger, probably closer to 2000lb

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To put it into some kind of context (bearing in mind this was 22 years ago and the Alaskan real-big ones are now virtually non existent), the smallest was three times the size of this rod caught world record at 500lb+ http://i.imgur.com/nvRcyJM.jpg
The biggest one in the warehouse was bigger, probably closer to 2000lb

It would be a hungry bloke who ordered a side of chips with that one.