Vaseline. It helps sometimes......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I remember a few years back on " Fishermans Blues " on the radio weekends early morning. Keith Arthur often recommended rubbing a good dollop of Vaseline into your hands when it was freezing cold like lately ( which can take up to 20 minutes of constant hand wringing before your skin absorbs it ).

I have used it many times and it certainly helps. Without it when your hands get wet your skin absorbs some of the moisture and that can then freeze in your pores..

Result - frozen fingers and an absolute nightmare trying to pack up your gear...

Anyone tried it or got any better suggestions...?

Last edited:
C

chefster

I remember a few years back on " Fishermans Blues " on the radio weekends early morning. Keith Arthur often recommended rubbing a good dollop of Vaseline into your hands ( which can take up to 20 minutes of constant hand wringing before your skin absorbs it ).

I have used it many times and it certainly helps. Without it when your hands get wet your skin absorbs some of the moisture and that can then freeze in your pores..

Result - frozen fingers and an absolute nightmare trying to pack up your gear...

Anyone tried it or got any better suggestions...?

Thin latex gloves mate,can tie hooks,put bait on etc ,and keep hands warm,not too good when shipping long,but i use woolen fingerless mits over the top,so pole glides easy,they get wet when unhooking fish,but doesnt matter as they,re not next to you,re skin,,Gazza

nicepix

Reaction score
Back in the 80's all the lads on the milk rounds used Vaseline to keep the cold out. I learned from them and have used it when fishing, including fly-fishing for grayling in sub-zero temp's. Even now I put a layer on before donning my neoprene fingerless gloves when fishing in the cold.

If it is taking 20 minutes to soak in it might mean that you are putting too much on for your skin type. I have quite coarse hands and don't have a problem with it being absorbed.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Use it on your feet as well or if you really feel the cold try vicks vapour rub on your feet, I used to use it when on guard duty all the time.

rubio

Reaction score
At risk of sounding pretentious I do prefer the Norwegian formula stuff, but it's pretty much the same.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Obviously hands are critical, even more than other exposed parts, but I still rub a small amount of ' Simple ' Moisturising / Replenishing cream on my face to give some protection in very (facing) cold wind. This, along with E45 lip ice applied regularly stops the terrible stinging when you get home in the warm...
I use the above as NEITHER has any odour...................

I could use Vaselene, but it gets bit sticky on the face ! (Good for hands though !)

Works for me, and keeps me looking youthful (add a smilie here )

peterjg

Reaction score
What a bunch of softies ..... You'll all be wearing perfume next! Manup and at least wear mackerel oil or axle grease.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This, along with E45 lip ice applied regularly stops the terrible stinging when you get home in the warm...
I use the above as NEITHER has any odour...................

The best way to stop you getting chapped lips is to smear them with cow muck, It has no protective properties but it sure stops you licking them.

nicepix

Reaction score
Use it on your feet as well or if you really feel the cold try vicks vapour rub on your feet, I used to use it when on guard duty all the time.

That's a good tip. I suffer from 'policeman's heel' in cold weather and Vaseline is the best treatment I've found for it.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Reminds me of the frankie boyle Star Wars joke!

"Use the force Luke.......I've ran out of lubricant"

john step

Reaction score
At risk of sounding pretentious I do prefer the Norwegian formula stuff, but it's pretty much the same.

OOOOOOOOO sounds very refined:D

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

The best way to stop you getting chapped lips is to smear them with cow muck, It has no protective properties but it sure stops you licking them.

After a guffaw at this I read it to my sandwich maker. She thought it very funny. She wanted to know if it works just as well if used in sandwiches.:eek:

Last edited: