History of Hemp

wes79

Reaction score
Do you thinks it is at all possible that fish in the UK have once fed on hemp seed that was once growing naturally along river sides and shed its seed into the water?

its assumed hemp seed was gradually introduced to fish and they now are used to it

I found a hemp plant growing by a river last year, out in the sticks mind you, right next to what looked like a peg and can only guess someone was using uncooked hemp perhaps to use for fishing, I took some of the leaves home (to feed my rabbit obviously) but it did get me wondering if before it was banned as a plant, it might of flourished, maybe even last century like all the street names and areas with the word hemp in them alot of them are close to rivers or running water courses like brooks where I'm assuming they were for retting in water and drying to be used for fibre etc

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's more likely that the place names are related to industries such as rope, sail and paper making, where hemp fibres were once commonly used. The very word "canvas" is derived from the word "cannabis".
Hemp does come from certain varieties of cannabis plants, but not the type that produces marijuana. It's no longer illegal to farm cannabis (hemp) plants in the UK, provided they are of the types that have a low THC content.

How industrial hemp is made - production process, making, history, used, processing, parts, components, steps, product, industry, machine, History, Raw Materials

Hemp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How hemp moved back into the agricultural mainstream | Environment | The Guardian

Hemp Farming in the UK. What future? | The Hemp Store

wes79

Reaction score
Good post sam :)

with the help of my historian friend I hope to find out more about this plants use in the last century in my local area (thats assuming there is any records or documentation available).

Could I apply for a license to grow some on my allotment & how much would I need to grow to produce 25kg of fresh seeds to use for fishing?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it was once used as a hedging/windbreak for other crops so using it on the allotment would be perfectly acceptable use.

wes79

Reaction score

You must apply using the online application form on the Home Office Drugs Licensing website.

:confused:

Woe,Steady on mrs, I just want to fish with hemp seeds using a plant that grows out of the ground to procure the seed for free as nature intended, I'm not wanting to become or consenting to become a government approved "dealer" I guess they assume nature got it wrong then? :eek:mg: big pharma won't be happy.

I'll take that as a no.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

I think it was once used as a hedging/windbreak for other crops so using it on the allotment would be perfectly acceptable use.

:D:D:D:D:D
Watch this space.

Last edited:

ken more

Reaction score
Many years ago i remember my son had a hemp plant growing at the back of his hamster cage, rather stupidly i tried to smoke it. The result was being bitten by an angry Hamster, apparently they don't like Clipper lighters:confused::eek:mg:

tom_hib

Reaction score
Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
I've read that there were lots of objections to it when it first became popular as a bait - and calls for it to be banned.

"Drugs the fish" was one laughable objection and I think there were also claims that the seeds sprouted on the bottom and grew underneath the water.

I use hemp a lot. Nearly every time I go. Very effective with roach and dace.

I'd wondered the same question with regard to sweetcorn. Why would fish find a lump of bright yellow sweetcorn anything other than a weird, alien, outside object which caused them to flee in terror? How could they possibly have come to consider them dinner?

robertroach

Reaction score
I use hemp a lot too, usually with tares. It's my favourite fishing method at the moment.
I have heard or read somewhere that the seeds attract fish because they look like the tiny water snails that they feed on. Once they get started, they develop a taste for it. I'm not sure if this is true!

Reaction score
Go to the FM home page and do an advanced search for an article written by Lee Swords. The article is called Hemp The Demon Seed.

Lee (a chef) looks at why hemp is so attractive to fish (it's not because it drugs them and they're addicted to it, us folk used to say) - it's all down to the very high nutrition value.

nicepix

Reaction score
Do you thinks it is at all possible that fish in the UK have once fed on hemp seed that was once growing naturally along river sides and shed its seed into the water?

its assumed hemp seed was gradually introduced to fish and they now are used to it

I suppose its not out of the question to imagine that once there were boilie plants all around the UK and one day a boilie was dropped into the water by a seagull carrying it home for its chicks and the fish came across it and got used to it :eek:mg:

wes79

Reaction score
I suppose its not out of the question to imagine that once there were boilie plants all around the UK and one day a boilie was dropped into the water by a seagull carrying it home for its chicks and the fish came across it and got used to it :eek:mg:

Bollies growing on plants and being carried off by seagulls LOL, sounds a bit JK rowling to me.

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

Go to the FM home page and do an advanced search for an article written by Lee Swords. The article is called Hemp The Demon Seed.

Lee (a chef) looks at why hemp is so attractive to fish (it's not because it drugs them and they're addicted to it, us folk used to say) - it's all down to the very high nutrition value.

Great article, thank you for sharing.

in 1955 the Czechoslovakian Tubercular Nutrition Study concluded that hemp seed was the 'only food that can successfully treat the consumptive disease tuberculosis, in which the nutritive processes are impaired and the body wastes away' - Robinson, 1996.

contains all the essential amino acids needed by man to survive.

For anyone interested its found using the following link:
http://www.fishingmagic.com/articles/reference/12686-hemp-the-demon-seed-exposed.html

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Origins of hemp as bait..... I used to fish the tidal Thames a lot in the dace glory days.
The urban myth (or fact) that was widely believed was that it was the Polish refugees during WW2 that started using it and popularised it. They apparently used to eat the roach and dace.
Nothing changes it seems.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Origins of hemp as bait..... I used to fish the tidal Thames a lot in the dace glory days.
The urban myth (or fact) that was widely believed was that it was the Polish refugees during WW2 that started using it and popularised it. They apparently used to eat the roach and dace.

That's quite close to the anecdote I linked to. However, in that one it's Belgian refugees from the WW1 fishing the Thames around Richmond/Twickenham.

wes79

Reaction score

So was the Hemp plant not a native plant species to be found anywhere in the British isles until this time or that its use was not known as well as in europe?

sam vimes

Reaction score
So was the Hemp plant not a native plant species to be found anywhere in the British isles until this time or that its use was not known as well as in europe?

Native or not, I've no idea. However, if you wade through some of the articles previously linked, you'd find a gem like this - "Britain's naval strength in the 16th century was reliant on hemp rope, to the extent that Queen Elizabeth I decreed that farmers had to grow hemp on part of their land."
That doesn't mean it was native, but it does suggest that it must have been rather widely cultivated.

john step

Reaction score
That's quite close to the anecdote I linked to. However, in that one it's Belgian refugees from the WW1 fishing the Thames around Richmond/Twickenham.

That will probably be the same anecdote Sam. It could well be likely I was getting my wars mixed up:eek:mg::eek:mg: