Very sad.

sumtime

Reaction score
Animals wouldn't make this mess :( one of my local parks that separates Anfield and Goodison Park. Walked around earlier with my daughter and g/daughter, my daughter and I were shocked at the amount of dog excreta and this abomination. There is an abundance of poo everywhere where I live but this tops the dump charts.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's all down to civic pride and education at an early age. Unfortunately we have now got a generation or two who have always had someone to pick up the mess for them no matter where they leave it, you only have to look at any town park after a sunny day at the weekend it is covered in filth, but by 10 am the next morning the army of street cleaners will have picked it all up ready for the pigs to dump it all again.

I have no doubt that being an urban park that mess will be cleaned up in the next day or two, the real problem comes when the people who left that decide to visit a nice rural lake or river and leave the same mess, there's nobody there to pick it up and the job falls to the poor old club bailiff or the next local angler to fish the swim.

B

binka

Very sad indeed.

It seems to be ever more common around urban waters these days and I abandoned my plans to fish and did an impromptu clear up a couple of seasons ago on one of my locals that filled the boot of the car :(

Even worse I was met with the usual barrage of questions when I pulled up at the local refuge depot to get rid of it all with a stinking car all I had to show for my efforts, within weeks it was back to square one.

I just don't get it with some people, they appear to me to be completely without a conscience when it comes to things like this and unfortunately it would appear that some of those would probably class themselves as anglers too...

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Good on ya. Don't lose heart there are quite a few of us doing the same.

greenie62

Reaction score
... did an impromptu clear up a couple of seasons ago on one of my locals that filled the boot of the car :(

To paraphrase the classic line from Jaws: "Need a bigger boot!" :eek:mg:

:thumbs:Good on yer kid!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I live in the Sandwell area .

And one of the things i see on a regular basis is the Dust Carts pulling out of one of the local KFC places onto the road the window open and out goes the empty cartons into the road , This lot have a freakin huge bin behind them and THEY cant be bothered with using it .

If they cant be bothered then the rest of the morons certainly wont , Sad fact of life these days why do it myself when someone else will do it for me not good .

The parents are just as bad thou so what can you expect ..

As for fishing line i had a walk around one of the local pools not long ago and collected a huge bunch of line hooks shot floats ect ect even broken reels .

Sandwell is NOT a pretty or nice place to live now .

PG .

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I once, and it was only the once, fished a stretch of the Severn Nr Ironbridge and was amazed to see that folks had actually bagged up their litter. Only thing was they had then hung it from every tree and bush on the stretch as though they were being responsible.

You can see why some landowners prefer a syndicate to a club or day tickets even though the income may be reduced.

terry m

Reaction score
It is indeed very sad.

I do get especially annoyed when it is the anglers themselves that contribute to this directly. Luncheon meat cans, deadbait packets, heaps of used tea bags and sweetcorn times are all giveaways.

The point about civic pride is exactly right.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Litter generally & discarded tackle in particular really grinds my gears - although I think that it is partially a generational thing, there are also some of an age that should know better who are clearly ignorant / can't be bothered. Really sad to hear about the 'demise' of Stanley Park - I haven't been for maybe 18 months but it seemed OK then - a lot longer since I last fished there.

Leaving 'birds nests' of the sort that Binka picked up lying around is unbelievably irresponsible with the potential harm to wildlife, but some people clearly don't give a toss. I wish that I could offer a meaningful solution but realistically it will continue to be down to those of us that are bothered enough about the issue to clear up after the idiots.

greenie62

Reaction score
...... Really sad to hear about the 'demise' of Stanley Park - I haven't been for maybe 18 months but it seemed OK then - a lot longer since I last fished there.....

Many of us grew up with Parks which were staffed and maintained - unfortunately many Parks Departments have disappeared with the staff being made redundant in the last round of cuts - result= no 'parkies' to keep the place nice and tidy - or tell you off for leaving litter!:eek:

Talking to one of the Canal & Rivers Trust Volunteer Litter-pickers, the other day, whilst fishing the Leeds & Liverpool Canal near Wigan. His 'beat' is from near Chorley down to near Wigan and is reasonably happy with the tidiness of the Wigan-end of the 'beat' but commented about the amount of Anglers litter towards the Chorley end!
Apart from the usual rubbish - plastic bags, sweet wrappers, and fag packets - there is also a great deal of Angling-specific rubbish - hook packets, discarded line, bait tins (Meat, sweetcorn and Hemp), etc!
Given that there are already complaints raised this last year over litter on some of our waters on rivers and ponds - I have posted an appeal on the Club Forum to ALL club members to take not only their own litter home but to collect any more they see and take that too!

Response on the Club's forum has been underwhelming - apart from one member who echoed my appeal and pointed out that this has been a problem on the Club waters on & off for the last 20 years and his attempts to get members to do some litter-picks have fallen on deaf ears.

I contrast this with Salford Friendly AS (a free club!) who had a good turn-out on one of their recent litter-picks - collecting 50 bin-bags of mainly non-angling rubbish!:eek:

The contrasting attitudes of the "I've paid me subs - don't see why I should bother collecting litter" with the free Club members "If not us then who?" is interesting! :confused:

Please take your litter away - as well as anyone else's you find.:thumbs:

wes79

Reaction score
Don't wish to make out I'm some saint but I have now resorted to taking other peoples line home on several occasions often take those poo bags on a roll to use to bag up stuff (B&M) .it upset me to see on a lovely canal spot a smashed brolly, smashed reel some wood bits and some bags that had both un-eaten sandwiches in, a whole spool of tangled line (from the smashed reel) in the same bag which was asking for trouble as there was Canadian geese in the plenty so wouldn't of been long before dark that one of the birds smelt the food and put its neck in the bag, locally we've had owls and herons die from line that has been left around.

Loads of poo bags dangling in trees by rivers and canals where I live, it looks worse just after the fall, where otherwise green trees begin to reveal the hidden mess, looks like some dog owners leave it for the return walk back but either forget or cannot be bothered to pick it up because they are to close to the footpaths so no obvious attempt to throw them any distance away, plus there are bins by the car park specifically for dog poo bags, excuse me french but takes the f0845number-iss

Although removing line that can and does entangle birds (plus those plastic things that hold four cans of lager together) is one thing, I haven't yet felt compelled to bag up the dog poo that is left.

On a funnier note though have you ever been caught short for a number two while out and copped a smell of your own deed?

a man turd will deffo give a dog turd a good run for its money and trump on the stink rating

Last edited:
B

binka

It's so disconcerting.

It's a million miles away from what I eventually went on to do but when I left school I did my greens keeping and following that landscaping courses and there was a real worth, respect and appreciation in society of our open spaces.

Where has all of that gone and why? :confused:

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Don't wish to make out I'm some saint but I have now resorted to taking other peoples line home on several occasions often take those poo bags on a roll to use to bag up stuff and it upset me to see on a lovely canal spot a smashed brolly, smashed reel some wood bits and some bags that had both un-eaten sandwiches in, a whole spool of tangled line (from the smashed reel) in the same bag which was asking for trouble as there was Canadian geese in the plenty so wouldn't of been long before dark that one of the birds smelt the food and put its neck in the bag, locally we've had owls and herons die from line that has been left around.

Loads of poo bags dangling in trees by rivers and canals where I live, it looks worse just after the fall, where otherwise green trees begin to reveal the hidden mess, looks like some dog owners leave it for the return walk back but either forget or cannot be bothered to pick it up because they are to close to the footpaths so no obvious attempt to throw them any distance away, plus there are bins by the car park specifically for dog poo bags, excuse me french but takes the f0845number-iss

Wes...

As someone who has a keen interest in the canals and has probably walked hundreds of miles of them I have often seen multiple bags of sh1t hanging from the trees and have tried to drill down as to why people do this?

The only conclusion I can reach is bloody mindedness, I’m afraid.

Folks aren’t daft and they know it’s an offence to not clear up after their dogs but there isn’t enforceable legislation that I know of that tells them how to dispose of it afterwards, a kind of two fingered salute to the establishment that we all have to suffer.

Not long after moving into my first house many years ago a woman who lived further up the road continually allowed her dog to cr@p in the road right in front of my house without clearing it up knowing full well that legislation prevented her from allowing it to do it on the pavement without clearing it up but not the road, when challenged she knew the law chapter and verse despite the fact that the damn stuff got all over the wheels of my car and ended up on my drive when I reversed on.

I still don’t know how but the argument eventually escalated to the letters column in the local rag and when the husband stepped in with his analysis on the percentages of contracting a harmful effect of their actions with an unfortunate gamble he shot himself in the foot because I contracted a tape worm from said sh1t in another area when I was six which went undiagnosed for eight months and nearly killed me, not to mention the mess which came out when I was finally treated after a fortnight in hospital.

No big deal now but pretty frightening as a young kid.

Let’s decorate a tree with a bag of sh1t eh, what a great idea!

The bad one

Reaction score
Folks aren’t daft and they know it’s an offence to not clear up after their dogs but there isn’t enforceable legislation that I know of that tells them how to dispose of it afterwards, a kind of two fingered salute to the establishment that we all have to suffer.
Binka there is enforceable Legislation. It's the Cleaner Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 It gave Local Authorities the power to give fixed penalties notice to dog owners who don't pick up their dog Sh*t amongst many other Envo crimes. Many LAs contract out the Dog Warden Service who police it and the wardens are paid on commission over and above their basic.

As someone who has chaired a parks friends group for 20 years my advice would be to e-mail the park manager of the park complaining about the littler and dog sh*t, who should then notify the DWS to blitz it for some time.
I can assure people that park managers don’t like complaints about dirty parks and a few fixed penalties tickets, which dependant on the LA can range from £50 – 120, given out to dirty Barstewards will go round the dog walking fertility like wildfire.

I even threatened my local authority via the local media, to take them to court using the same Act over a plot of land they owned which they weren’t cleaning up.
Boy did the balloon go up over that one, I had every council man and his dog phone me up over it.:D If I can find the link to it I’ll post it.
There you go http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/laying-down-the-law-over-litter-1216614

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
As somebody who as just retired after spending the last eight years litter picking for the ribble valley council here in Lancashire.
I must say I'm glad to see the the back of this job,Start every day at six thirty,Clean the streets, And they are just as bad the day after
The most soul destroying job I've ever had.
And the public look at you as if you're on community service.
I'm glad to be out of this.
Roll on the better weather, and I can get a lot more fishing done ??

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done mate, I always make a point of speaking to our local lads and they always appreciate it.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I even threatened my local authority via the local media, to take them to court using the same Act over a plot of land they owned which they weren’t cleaning up.
Boy did the balloon go up over that one, I had every council man and his dog phone me up over it. If I can find the link to it I’ll post it.
There you go http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....litter-1216614

Bad One

Do you have any relatives who post on here

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/354696-beau-brummell-fishing-4.html#post1327922

Spooky:eek:;):D

flightliner

Reaction score
Back pre Maggie, a miner in a nearby village was constantly finding dog mess outside his front gate -- he had kids that were vulnerable so he kept an eye out for the culprit who it turned out lived some two streets away and walked her dog prior to going out to work.
He asked her to kindly take the dog elsewhere to do its dirty work but the problem continued, after one last request that went ignored he took things his way--- scooping up the mess on a shovel he waited until teatime then went round to the offenders house and knocked on her kitchen door, when she opened it he just said " I think this belongs to you" and slung the s- - t into the kitchen!!
End result was no complaint and no more mess!
Regarding litter, last year my wife and myself had a visit to a national trust property, I parked the car in a carpark and noticed a strip of white thro the undergrowth- looking a little closer it turns out that some moron had seemingly reversed what must have been a van and dumped a complete white pvc type front door and frame before driving off.

john step

Reaction score
Agree with Titus about a generational thing. There was a huge publicity push about litter about 1960 after the new 1959 Litter Act. Seems to have fizzled out now.
Near me is a large school with a good name where parents clamour to get their children.
The approaches to the school are an eyesore with crisp packets, drink cans and chip wrappers etc.
A drainage ditch besides the playing field is about a foot deep in similar rubbish.
They have been approached on many occasions but instead of the darlings being brought out on a litter pick its the poor old caretaker who gets lumbered.