River cray

ginty

Reaction score
I normally fish the river medway in eat peckham kent. I wanted to find somewhere a bit more local so i went just for a stroll around the river cray in dartford.
Anybody ever fished here or is it a waste of time? It was quite deep in places so im assuming there must be fish there surely??
Can people tell me some local places for fishing. i live in lee south east london. Im also new to the hobby.

john step

Reaction score
I normally fish the river medway in eat peckham kent. I wanted to find somewhere a bit more local so i went just for a stroll around the river cray in dartford.
Anybody ever fished here or is it a waste of time? It was quite deep in places so im assuming there must be fish there surely??
Can people tell me some local places for fishing. i live in lee south east london. Im also new to the hobby.

I reckon there must be fish there. Try wandering along with minimal tackle and some worms where you can get access.
Have a look on utube under URBAN FISHING for encouragement.

ginty

Reaction score
Thanks. Im going to have a look. Might go with maggots and do a bit of trotting down stream.
What do you think?

rubio

Reaction score
Thanks. Im going to have a look. Might go with maggots and do a bit of trotting down stream.
What do you think?

Gotta be worth popping a few slices of bread in ya pocket when you're exploring a river. I won't always use it on the hook, and sometimes just drift a bit of crust downstream. Even this time of year a chub will sound an encouraging plop as it grabs a gobfull of bread.

law

Reaction score
Ive fished a bit up the Orpington end.
You have to hack away at the undergrowth to get anywhere decent, but Ive had chub to 3lb, pike to 16 and assorted silvers.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The Darent should also be in your locality?. This is a cleaner chalk river that probably suffers from low flows due to over abstraction, but i seem to remember somewhere on here some memories of chub and dace fishing on it towards its lower reaches at Dartford and that not everything was as hopeless as you might expect..

That map location - probably semi-tidal there?

ginty

Reaction score
The darent is probably the same distance as the medway.
Im going to give it ago on the cray. The only thin is, i saw a few ducks when i went so bread on the top is a no no?

Advise on setup please and what to use. Bare in mind im new to the hobby as ive only been doing it 7months.

B

binka

Im going to give it ago on the cray. The only thin is, i saw a few ducks when i went so bread on the top is a no no?

Just a generalisation but if the water is urban and there are ducks then definitely give bread a go on or near the bottom as the fish will likely be used to it from the offerings thrown in for the waterfowl, either a piece of flake or crust but if using crust just nip a small shot on a couple of inches from the hook, big enough to anchor the buoyant crust down.

Good luck with it.