second hand over new gear

nolan1977

Reaction score
I have found some good quality secondhand rods and reels, now I'm not sure whether or not to buy the secondhand gear, both rods and reels, or buy just one new rod and reel.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Good quality second hand gear can be a good buy, at the right price. However, it all depends on exactly what quality you are talking about, how much use it has had and what exactly the new alternative options are. It's sometimes the case that second hand gear is overpriced, overused and not of sufficient initial quality to make it a worthwhile buy.

The pros and potential cons need to be weighed up carefully when it comes to buying second hand. Personally, I'd avoid most budget to mid-range tackle second hand. I'd also avoid anything showing obvious signs of being well used.

Whilst I'm not averse to buying second hand, I'm much more likely to buy heavily discounted, but carefully researched, new gear. There are plenty of end of line bargains to be had if you are prepared to put some effort into finding them.

nolan1977

Reaction score

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Warrior S is a reasonable budget rod, which I have used. However, at £35, more than half of the street price, I wouldn't buy them, especially if I had to travel to collect or pay postage on top. The Shimano reel is a bit more sensibly priced, provided the bidding (inc postage) doesn't go much higher than £65.
What you won't get, when buying from ebay, is any form of warranty. If a reel siezes or rod breaks unexpectedly, a short time down the line, you are up the pond without a rod/reel.

The Black Widow rods have a reasonable reputation as a budget rod and tend to sell around the £40-45 mark in the big discount shops. The reels I know little about, but they seem to sell at around the £50 mark. They are Diawa, and whilst not my preferred brand, they'll be decent.

At £80 for the pair, as opposed to a minimum of £85 for the second hand, it looks like a no brainer to me, if only for the warranty. If Banks & Burr don't have the TC/reel size you'd prefer, I'd ring Eric's (and perhaps others) to see if they'll price match or beat them. It never hurts to ask!

Daiwa Black Widow Carp Rods

Daiwa Black Widow BR - 5000A

Daiwa Black Widow BR - 4500A

thecrow

Reaction score
Banks and Burr are my preferred tackle shop even if it means travelling 20 miles, they are friendly and knowledgeable, if you ring them and tell them what you want and what for along with your budget i'm sure they will help.

law

Reaction score
Just go for it.
Agreed, you get no warranty, but if the gear isnt as described, paypal covers you to send it back for a refund.
And going buy you previous posts, your new to carp fishing, so the stuff you have listed is ideal starter gear.

lampro

Reaction score
to be honest I would and allways would buy good second hang gear over cheap new kit a mate of mine has a tackle shop in Stafford AA tackle exchange he buys and sells new and second hand gear also trades in your unwanted tackle against what ever you want to buy or swap all his stock is checked or repaired if needed before he sells it had some right bargains and good advise over the years from him

Steve2020

Reaction score
to be honest I would and allways would buy good second hang gear over cheap new kit a mate of mine has a tackle shop in Stafford AA tackle exchange he buys and sells new and second hand gear also trades in your unwanted tackle against what ever you want to buy or swap all his stock is checked or repaired if needed before he sells it had some right bargains and good advise over the years from him
I haven't managed to pop in as yet but next time I'm in town I'll stop off as I usually Park on North walls so have to pass it on my way out of town. Has this guy had 2 shops previously, 1 being on the Marston Road and the other on the Wolverhampton Road ?

lampro

Reaction score
I haven't managed to pop in as yet but next time I'm in town I'll stop off as I usually Park on North walls so have to pass it on my way out of town. Has this guy had 2 shops previously, 1 being on the Marston Road and the other on the Wolverhampton Road ?

he had 1 on the marston rd about 15 years ago his name is Andy cracking bloke will always do you a good deal or even just too pop in for a chat he owns it with his soon too be wife Angie who is a lovely women and really knows her stuff you a Stafford chap then

Steve2020

Reaction score
he had 1 on the marston rd about 15 years ago his name is Andy cracking bloke will always do you a good deal or even just too pop in for a chat he owns it with his soon too be wife Angie who is a lovely women and really knows her stuff you a Stafford chap then
Cheers for the info I'll pop in next time I'm in town.
I live in Stafford yea, I'm a member of Izak Walton & Blackwood progressive, had some good days at calf heath of late.