what do you guys think of the mini spomb

fishperch

Reaction score
i guys ive been looking at the mini spomb for a long time now and im considering buying one. so can u use the mini one on a carp rod of 3lbs test ocasonally as i dont fancy buying a spod rod/reel at the moment. also is there any difference the colour makes other than visibility

sam vimes

Reaction score
I managed to wreck both of the spombs I bought in fairly short order, so I haven't bought another. However, I can acknowledge that too many people absolutely love them for my experience to be representative. You shouldn't have too much bother casting a mini-spomb with a 3lb TC rod. However, much depends on how far you are attempting to cast and what the exactly you are filling the spomb with. The biggest issue is likely to be whether the line/reel on your single set up can cope with spodding/spombing.

As for the colour. Anecdotal evidence, from the time that the original black Spomb appeared on the market, suggested that the white plastic was a response to the black version suffering in extremely hot sunny conditions.

Last edited:

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
I have the white one and use it on my Tench rods with 8lb mono, casts OK to 50yds with a full load. Very useful

terry m

Reaction score
The Spomb is a super invention, simple but incredibly effective.

I have not used the mini version, but the full size version works fine for me. White works for me based on visibility. Black may be better in very shallow waters.

Does anybody still use a conventional spod? I cannot remember the last time I saw anything other than the Spomb being used.

law

Reaction score
I think they are the best innovation in fishing for years.

I use the mini one when tench fishing all the time when using sweetcorn. I can never get corn to land in a tighht area with a catapult.
I use it with a 2.75 carp rod and 10lb line and have had no problems yet.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody still use a conventional spod? I cannot remember the last time I saw anything other than the Spomb being used.

I still have a spod or two and as long as they stay intact they would be what I would use since I never had any prob's with them and they did what I got them to do...not that I use them very often...once a year if they're lucky. With the right catty I can get a large ball of groundbait quite a distance and very accuratly so if it's do-able i'd much prefer to use the catty :).

law

Reaction score
I can never get certain baits tight with a catapult though. The spomb is dead tight and accurate.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can never get certain baits tight with a catapult though. The spomb is dead tight and accurate.

Once you get the hang of using a catty it makes baiting up an area very fast and easy. As I say you'll need to get your eye in but once you do you'll find it very accurate.
Obviously you are limited as to the distance you can get with the catty but there are some powerfull ones available and they can throw a ball of bait a surprisingly long distance !

pf0x

Reaction score
Apparently a well known tackle company were originally offered the designs to the Spomb by its designer but they weren't interested. So he went ahead and made them himself.

Good on him. A great little invention. You will be absolutely fine with a carp rod and mini spomb. Even a barbel/specimen rod would be okay (as long as you don't push it). A few pellets or boilies in a mini spomb is not heavy.

caelan

Reaction score
hi it is a great bit of kit get the hang of it it goes ok with yer carp/barbal
rod and it is very accurate

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ve seen them used to devestating effect over the last couple of years, sooner or later I suppose I,ll get one, large and small.
In the meantime I'm still using the one I made years ago from something similar to a large kinder egg.
Never lets me down, done me equally as well as the guys with spombs but just falling short on distance compared to a spomb.
The spomb is good but on rivers they have their shortcomings only being able to free the bait on the surface, Years ago I made a baitdropper that can deliver a payload of free offerings anywhere from the surface to any depth decided on by the angler.
Great for barbel where bait can be released just over the top of the fish without spooking them.

pf0x

Reaction score
I thought I could sense a lawsuit coming on until I saw this!

our Impact Spod that is being made under license from Spomb® Fishing Ltd.

I used my Mini Spomb alongside a Gardner Pocket Rocket mini Spod last week. For me, the Spomb won hands down. Don't know why I wasted my money on the spod.

No need to 'plug' it
No spod spill
Just as accurate
But the best thing is way it skips over the water on the retrieve whereas the spod takes on water and takes x3 as much effort.

Brilliant invention.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
No need to 'plug' it
No spod spill
Just as accurate
But the best thing is way it skips over the water on the retrieve whereas the spod takes on water and takes x3 as much effort.

Brilliant invention.

Ditto that.....:thumbs::D