Nice Beaver

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm a great fan of beavers. I could stroke one all day. :)

But what you don't want are those nasty coypu things that are like mini beavers but without the charm. We have a lot of them over here and last week I was heckled by one all afternoon while out fishing.

robertroach

Reaction score
They chew up trees, make dams (really big ones), block rivers and stop fish migrating. Not good in my opinion. I don't think the salmon and sea trout fishers like them.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In fact, only today BBC Radio 2 ( on the prog which runs from noon ) had a fairly balanced discussion on this very subject...
I didn't take it all in but someone from the Tay catchment area said they had a major problem with damage as almost change the scenery with dams, wood cutting etc etc
Another point of view was held by someone from the west country (I forgotten the name of the river) where a 'pair' have bred and the guess at the moment is around 8 animals exist in the area. I understand that beaver can carry parasites which can affect humans (I think that's correct ) so if the locals want to keep them the beaver will have to be removed from site and checked for all sorts of things before being allowed back...

I believe some form of meeting has, or is about to take place, to discuss this complex issue.

No doubt everyone will have an opinion with farmers and wildlife conservationists leading the way. Apparently beaver are vegetarians although some evidence exists that they do eat fish from time to time - from what I've read !!!

Anyway, those interested could do worse than listen to the prog.................

NB ! ALL THE ABOVE IS FROM MEMORY AND MAY WELL BE INCORRECT, SO DON'T GO GIVING ME A HARD TIME IF I'VE MISQUOTED- OKAY ??

The bad one

Reaction score
Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As the Otter is in East Devon and I live in the adjacent county, Dorset, this is bad news. On our easily flooding rivers like the Dorset Stour I guess the only thing for any dams will be a dredger. Will these people never learn? What annoys me is that those responsible never take responsibility. No matter what the damage they never have to pay for it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
With any luck, they could flood the flood-plains...then, when those dim enough to buy houses built on water-meadows have lynched those crooked enough to build them and the councils bent enough to allow them to, and the survivors have sorted out the insurance gonks who will claim that they don't cover acts of God or of Stunning Stupidity, Merrie Olde Englande will be a much better place, and with much more natural rivers.
Written with tongue partly in cheek...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Judging by how the farmer sorts out problems where I fished yesterday he'll get the JCB and the shotgun out and fix the problem PDQ....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I don't think beavers eat dodgy property developers etc; you want wild boar for that.
Oh, hang on, Devon/Dorset... it's all starting to fall nicely into place.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Just to throw something into the ring, an acquaintance of mine is an ecologist who has travelled far and wide in the course of his work. He says Ukraine is absolutely full of Beavers and the rivers are gorgeous and teeming with fish, which he links directly to the Beavers. Apparently the ponds behind their dams create ideal habitat for young fish which knocks on to the general populations.

B

binka

I've just been watching a report about these beavers on BBC 24 Hour news and there was a guy called Derek Gow hailing their benefits.

You know that really weird thing where they say that some owners look like their pets...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Judging by how the farmer sorts out problems where I fished yesterday he'll get the JCB and the shotgun out and fix the problem PDQ....

One of these days with a bit of luck and good judgement the beavers will fight back and ram his JCB where it causes him the absolute Maximum discomfort and pain then use the shotgun to enhance the effect . :wh .

Beavers were once part fo this country and must be allowed to return . i might ad along with wild boar wolves and otters ..

nicepix

Reaction score
One of these days with a bit of luck and good judgement the beavers will fight back and ram his JCB where it causes him the absolute Maximum discomfort and pain then use the shotgun to enhance the effect . :wh .

Beavers were once part fo this country and must be allowed to return . i might ad along with wild boar wolves and otters ..

So were Romans. But we don't want another bunch of eyeties roaming round do we Flight'? :D:D:D

law

Reaction score
Hopefully they will eat the otter population, allowing the fish in our waterways to return to their former glory

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

And bears, not sure what type but not polar

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
And bears, not sure what type but not polar

Brown i believe or was it Grisley have to check up on that one .

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Hopefully they will eat the otter population, allowing the fish in our waterways to return to their former glory

Errrrrrrrrr Beavers are vegan i do believe so have no impact on fish stocks as far as predation goes , On the other hand the ponds the create are mighty good for fish stocks .

PG

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As far as i'm aware Beavers create fish habitat rather than destroy it and they would be beneficial to the countryside on a whole. They don't eat fish either !
If Beavers where introduced I think everyone posting on this board will be long dead before they managed to make any impact on anything so what the hell does it matter !

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Or perhaps dam the rivers trapping sufficient fish for otters to survive, multiply and "return to their former glory"

We've had a CS and ATr thread, it was about time we involved Otters again

Last edited: