bite alarm info

nolan1977

Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen an alarm that I want to get but I'm unsure of some of the terms. What does drop back mean?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
When the fish picks up the bait and moves towards you.The indicator will then "drop back" as opposed to moving up and forwards if the fish moves away from you.The indicator drops back because the line falls slack when the fish moves nearer to you as opposed to tightening when it moves further away.

Last edited:
B

binka

As Skip says really.

The term drop back refers to when a fish picks up the bait without moving off or picks up the bait and moves towards you which in both cases will usually cause slack line.

Because the line is not moving forward over the roller on the alarm you need something to register this, usually either a weighted bobbin so that the line has some tension under which it can roll back or reverse back over the alarms roller wheel to in turn trigger an indication or it could be that you are looking at a rigid arm indicator in which case it should drop back under its own weight especially if it’s one with an adjustable weight built in to it.

There are other types of alarm too but these are the most common in my experience.

Last edited:

nolan1977

Reaction score
Hi,

Some advise would be great please, I want to get some alarms, but as yet have not been able to decide. I dont want to buy some really cheap ones thta will last one season.

I also cant afford to spend £100, my budget is arounde £40. I need 2.

Thanks all

sam vimes

Reaction score
In your shoes, I'd be looking at the Fox M+ and the Nash Siren S5. The Nash is probably a little too new to get a really good idea of whether they are bombproof. The Fox has been around longer, and forever in slightly different guises.

nolan1977

Reaction score
Thanks Sam,

Now should I buy new to be safe or take a chance and get some off ebay

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Sam,

Now should I buy new to be safe or take a chance and get some off ebay

Only you can decide that. I suppose that it rather depends on how little you could pick them up for if you buy second hand. You should be able to get two new ones, of either type, for £50, without trying too hard.

law

Reaction score
I wouldn't get either. The new Fox alarms are ok, but my mate took 2 sets back to the shop after failing in pouring rain.
As for the Korums- they get terrible reviews.
I'd go with a second hand original Fox Micron
One of these. FOX MICRON M BITE ALARM | eBay
I've had mine for over 15 years, I dropped my buzz bars with all 3 alarms attached into the lake once, totally submerging them.
Pulled them out, shook them off, dried the battery and they still worked no problems

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Another vote here for older fox microns. I have a pair of Micron ES, stupidly simple and effective. When i lost one, I had no hesitation in going to ebay to buy another, the fact that the one i bought was 10 years old didn't matter to me at all, because the one it was replacing (which worked as well on the day i lost it as on the day i bought it) was that age too.

Newer versions look ok, but for me it bothers me that they try to make them smaller, sexier, blingyer whatever... and I'm never sure if that's at the cost of functionality.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have had a pair of Fox Microns for over 10 years and they are still going strong.

The only time they ever play up is when the batteries run low.

For what they cost buy an extra one for use as a spare just in case.

nolan1977

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought 2 of the fox micron mx alarms. Now another question gents. What bite indictor should I buy?

There are so many to choose from. Should I get a fixed bar or a normal chain drop

pf0x

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought 2 of the fox micron mx alarms. Now another question gents. What bite indictor should I buy?

There are so many to choose from. Should I get a fixed bar or a normal chain drop

I tried finding out myself and asking in a shop etc but it just seems to come down to a personal preference? (Unless everyone I asked didn't know the difference?)

It does your head in. There are so many different types. I just went for a chain set.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some types of indicator are made for certain applications, sprung arms for fishing at range come to mind. A swing arm type can be handy in windy conditions, just to stop the indicators swinging around. However, a standard hanger bobbin, preferably with adjustable weights is arguably the most versatile. Whether they utilise cords, chains or braided wires is a matter of preference. Some manufacturers have made interchangeable systems incorporating all three basic indicator types, spring arm, swing arm and hanger. I know that Solar and Fox have made, or currently make, such system indicators, but they are rarely cheap.

I would suggest that the once ubiquitous Fox Swingers might be well out of fashion, but they are simple, reliable, well proven and versatile. There are also usually plenty available second hand, for not too much when compared to the new purchase price.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
sam's put a good one the fox one's you can move the weight back and forwards to push it forwards suit tight line fishing to your rig and push it to the back for slack lines putting not much pressure in the line tension . i have quite a few from bobbins from chain ones to cords one's , but have stayed with Dave's Danglers Original Elstow specials with have a carbon clip and a short cord line on them with different weights to suit what style of fish i'm after.