rigs for beginers

nolan1977

Reaction score
Hi,

Could some of the members put up detailed pictures or explainations of some basic rigs that would be good for beginners.

Also the waters that I usually fish dont have carp that are over 14 lbs, would I still be able to use leadcore and braided line?

Also on chod rigs can i use corn or other hookbait instead of bollies?

I hope that I have explained myself correctly.

Thanks

Nolan

sagalout

Reaction score
A simple rig is a method feeder, swivel and short hook link. Any bait you like. If you look on youtube at the top match blokes they do not use leadcore etc.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
You can also buy pre tied rigs though on some waters , particularly commercials some rigs and types of line are banned

sagalout

Reaction score
All of the info you require is already on the net, just have a look round, watch the videos from "from the waters edge", "totally awesome fishing", any of the main tackle manufacturers.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL_gBw32HaU

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

and another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1cUgjZprb4

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

and there's more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcqAFHMjpA

sam vimes

Reaction score
Could some of the members put up detailed pictures or explainations of some basic rigs that would be good for beginners.

Rig Tying - Gardner Tackle
Their terminal tackle is pretty damned good too.
Your best bet is to find a simple basic rig that will double up for bottom baits and bouyant baits. Get confident and consistent when tying it, see how your results go and then think about getting into more complex rigs for specific circumstances. K.I.S.S.;) Despite there being loads of weird and wonderful rigs, I tend not to use more than three variations on the same themes.

Also the waters that I usually fish dont have carp that are over 14 lbs, would I still be able to use leadcore and braided line?

You can, if the rules allow, the size of the fish isn't really a factor. However, I wouldn't use either without having a damned good reason for doing so. I do occasionally use leadcore for specific applications. The reality is that at least 95% of my carping involves standard mono reel line with tungsten rig tube. I can't recall using braid reel line for carping other than that which is on my spod and marker set ups.

Also on chod rigs can i use corn or other hookbait instead of bollies?

Chod rigs are only chod rigs if a bouyant bait is used. A chod rig with a sinking bait is essentially a helicopter rig with a hooklink with a fancy curve to it.

Last edited:

nolan1977

Reaction score
Thanks gents for all the advise.

The only reason that I want to use the leadcore is to keep my hook length on the lake bed.

If there is another way of doing this and someone could tell me I would use that.

I currently have 10 lb mainline on my reels

How effective is the method feeder?

I thought that it was only for smaller fish

Thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
The only reason that I want to use the leadcore is to keep my hook length on the lake bed.

If there is another way of doing this and someone could tell me I would use that.

I currently have 10 lb mainline on my reels

How effective is the method feeder?

I thought that it was only for smaller fish

Leadcore has nothing whatsoever to do with the hooklink, if used correctly.
If you want to pin a hooklink down, try tungsten putty. If you need to pin a mainline down, try tungsten rig tube. 10lb mainline will be fine for relatively small fish or for bigger fish in water that isn't too snaggy.

law

Reaction score
Forget the chod. It's too technical for a beginner.

Judging by your other questions, I'd forget carp fishing for a while, grab a float rod and learn the basics.

sagalout

Reaction score
Unless you are using a floating bait the hooklink will naturally sit on the bottom.

How effective is the method feeder? I thought that it was only for smaller fish Thanks
The method feeder is very effective. I believe matchmen are regularly catching fish to mid doubles and beyond now.

nolan1977

Reaction score
Thanks for the links to the videos, they were very helpful. I will leave the chod rigs for now.