any news on the severn at coalport will be up there in aug
for four days with me tangling mates to see if we can land a few decent
fish not been up that far fishing before so any news ie what rods will be best
to use tar caelan/martin

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When you get here call in to a local tackle shop and get a TAA licence, it covers several miles of the river and you will also get up to date information on which swims are producing.

For rods any big feeder rods or 1.5lb tc barbel rods will do fine, and a matching reel around the 5000 size will be plenty. The fish up here are not massive and you don't need a long chuck so there is no need for 2Lb+ rods and 30Lb braid, I use 10Lb line and change the first 50 yards every couple of months. So long as you use one of the recognised brands the make is irrelevant.

You will need a good selection of feeders and clip on weights as conditions can change, the difference between summer levels and a big flood can be as much as 6 meters, or to put it another way, up to the ridge tiles on a house but in august the old girl is usually a dancing sparkly stream and a far cry from the winter river.
If you contact me closer to the date and let me know where you are staying I will set you up on a decent stretch and sort you out with some rigs.
No charge of course but I never refuse a pint in the Robin Hood or the Golden Ball.

tincatim

Reaction score
Good advice there and a nice offer!

I've not fished this stretch for a long, long time but I do remember it being quite prolific back in the day. Do you still get the buildwas and power station stretches on the TAA book? If I remember correctly we used to fish the Atcham stretch a lot and that was also on the TAA book.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Buildwas is still on the card and most of the 'canyon' as the locals call it from Dale end down to the Brewery Inn stretch at Coalport but Atcham has been PAAS by the bridges and day ticket from the garage lower down for as long as I can remember.

tincatim

Reaction score
That might be my hazy memory then (it was 20 odd years ago ;))

I've still got family and friends in Telford so I ought to go back with some fishing tackle soon. Do standard groundbait feeder and halibut pellet tactics work in ironbridge?

caelan

Reaction score
titus thanks for that info you have been
a great help tar I have now got two 11\2 test rods I have lent
from my tangling mate martin/caelan

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do standard groundbait feeder and halibut pellet tactics work in ironbridge?

I'm pretty sure that works anywhere mate but a man of your experience doesn't need me to tell you that.

Sometimes I miss the old days before the pellet revolution when you had to work for your fish.