Best couriers for transporting rods

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will be listing a few rods on eBay in the next few weeks and was wondering who are the best/cheapest couriers.
I used citylink in the past but they have gone bust so I was wondering who to move to.
Many of them have restrictions on the length of tubes you can send and most of them wont insure fishing rods so its getting a bit difficult to know who to choose.

Weight is not normally an issue so for safety I tend to use the heavy duty cardboard tubes carpet or vinyl flooring is rolled on or if I can't get hold of that I have a mate who is a roofer and gets me they downpipes when the replace the guttering, a quick blast with the pressure washer inside and out and they are perfect.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
do not use MY HERMES they are rubbish they are really cheap , bit i guess you pay for what you get , look at reviews of them on rating sites bad ones.
still waiting for a rod posted 6/1/15 say i its the collection point and not moved since then, getting my dosh back this week.
best one post DPD best one i found for service , and had a few of post office from parcel force been quite good.
as you said city link were really good as well.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I have always used the post office for rods because they take the length (oo err missus) and I find it more convinient to drop items off then to wait in. I use MyHermes for all other things because they are cheap and (touch wood) I have had no problems just a fast efficient tracked service.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well knowing someone that works for DPD and hearing how things get thrown around and generally mistreated i would give DPD a very wide berth .

I have used Yodel both outgoing and incoming a few times not had any issues with them ..

PG ..

Oh and if you DO go for DPD do NOT mark it as handle with care or breakable or similar cus it WILL get mangled up deliberately

PG ..

john step

Reaction score
Just recently had my Drennan tL net handle delivered via UPS. It was well wrapped by Ted Carter and the driver was helpful and" customer focused " if thats the word.
The livery on the vehicles are fresh and look professional. You can track the progress. I suppose you get what you pay for ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can't say I've sent enough to comment from a senders point of view. However, I buy an awful lot of stuff online, so can from a recipients point of view. I'm always pleased when I hear that a package is coming through either DPD or UPS. I've never had a problem with either and they've always arrived at the allocated time on a given day.

Terry D

Reaction score
Only had one problem using Parcelforce. Sent 2 pole sections for repair in a decent cardboard tube. Only half the parcel arrived at the destination, the other half was returned to me. 2 pole sections in 4 parts became 6 parts and then not worth repairing at all.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I use Myhermes for loads of stuff and have never really had any issues other than one failed collection.

I think all couriers have good and bad local agents, and it is pot luck which you get.

The worse one I have used was City Link, although Parcel Farce are also pretty bad.

TNT have been reasonable for the couple of times I have used them.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use hermes for a lot of stuff but they won't take long parcels, 3 piece rods ar just about ok but two piece ones are generally too long.

trotter2

Reaction score
I use "My Hermes" never ever had a problem, excellent and cheep:)
The worst and most expensive are royal mail and parcel force :(

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Plenty there to go at, thanks for the replies.

caelan

Reaction score
I have had orders deliverd by u.k. mail no problems and the price
was very good an they text you what time they will be at your address
an you don't have to wait in all day martin/caelan

ian g

Reaction score
I have had orders deliverd by u.k. mail no problems and the price
was very good an they text you what time they will be at your address
an you don't have to wait in all day martin/caelan

Same here Tackle UK use them , I was impressed with their service

ken more

Reaction score
Sent a rod yesterday by UPS through Interparcel, collected when they said it would be and received a text telling me it was delivered today. Cost £17 though with extra insurance and the contact stuff, but not too bad all in all.