do you like touching fish ?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Am I alone in this ? I see a lot of guys on TV kissing their catches wow you'd never get me doing that , fish are horrible slimy creatures ( especially bream and except perch ) so I don't really enjoy the process of putting them back.

OK so I don't run around shrieking but I must admit its the least favourite bit of fishing for me , of course we should all keep contact to a minimum and you shouldn't use cloths to handle fish ( I keep a bait tub next to me filled with water to wet my hands ).

So do you have a good old feel when you catch one ? If you do then you're a dirty ******.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
For bigger ones I prefer to leave them in the net, laying the net on a mat or grass. Its not that I don't like touching them, although its not something I enjoy, but it is safer. For smaller stuff its usually damp hands and then rub my hands down on a microfleece towel after.

bracket

Reaction score
I have no issues with handling fish at all. Big fish, as already mentioned, are best dealt with in the net, across your knees. then released. Anything two pound or under, just lift out, unhook and release. The paramount thing is to get them back in the water as soon as possible. Wipe your hands on a towel? Nah, the seat of your jeans is good enough for me. You don't smell too pungent at the end of a session but you are guaranteed a place at the bar. Pete

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Bream for the obvious reason, Eels because of the way they perform, Pike because I have a phobia :eek:

Anything else no problem, Chub and Tench especially.

Read an article a long way back that said, holding fish with dry hands would feel like burning to the fish.

alsoran

Reaction score
Am I alone in this ? I see a lot of guys on TV kissing their catches wow you'd never get me doing that , fish are horrible slimy creatures ( especially bream and except perch ) so I don't really enjoy the process of putting them back.

OK so I don't run around shrieking but I must admit its the least favourite bit of fishing for me , of course we should all keep contact to a minimum and you shouldn't use cloths to handle fish ( I keep a bait tub next to me filled with water to wet my hands ).

So do you have a good old feel when you catch one ? If you do then you're a dirty ******.

Don't have a problem handling fish big or small. It's all part and parcel of fishing. Which is why I find your post a little odd. If fish are such slimy horrible creatures then why go fishing for them in the first place??:eek:mg:
Sounds like you would be happier doing something else given your apparent aversion to them.:wh

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I wonder if he has the same problem with women......." have a good old feel when you catch one "...........sounds very dodgy to me..

B

binka

I'm a self confessed fish snogger, strictly no tongues but often a peck on the top of the head in the jubilation of returning a good fish.

Never had a problem with it, never will :D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I don't got fishing to catch fish so i can handle them, as that would be weird, rather like kissing them. Slimy bream or eels are sometimes a pain to handle, and anything on a very cold day that gets your hands wet. But that is the unfortunate price successful angler types have to pay as we bag up in arctic conditions.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I wonder if he has the same problem with women......." have a good old feel when you catch one "...........sounds very dodgy to me..

I dont know how you managed to missunderstand me but you did - well done.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Don't have a problem handling fish big or small. It's all part and parcel of fishing. Which is why I find your post a little odd. If fish are such slimy horrible creatures then why go fishing for them in the first place??:eek:mg:
Sounds like you would be happier doing something else given your apparent aversion to them.:wh

Aaah the two most used emoticons - :eek:mg: meaning I might be stupid and :wh
Meaning I definitely am.

I exaggerated my language to try and make an interesting thread ( you know like yours ) I personally think some people handle their fish too much but thats their choice.

tincatim

Reaction score
Whilst I'd never describe myself as a 'fish toucher' or tell anyone outside of angling that I like to 'touch' fish:eek:, I do like to hold a fish once caught and release by hand into the water. Most of the time though, I'll put them back in the landing net as it's quicker and probably better for them.

And as for kissing them! :puke: I understand the sentiment but imagine what nasties live in that slime!

daji

Reaction score
I like handling fish (with wet hands and care of course) to get a good close up view of them. I also like to gage the weight of a good fish by hand.

mike47

Reaction score
Not something I've given much thought to, to be honest. Tench I'd rather leave in the net and eels are definately a no no! Other than that I have no problem. However, I do like to look closely at my fish, particularly at this time of year when the roach are in fantastic condition. Do I kiss them? No!

law

Reaction score
Cats are the worst. Their stink can stay on your hands wash after wash

MRWELL

Reaction score
No problems for me to handle fish,i have a wet cloth for the real slippery ones at hand,this saves wiping this protective slime off them so much,but mainly i use my hands to hold the fish and unhook,there is nothing odd or wrong in handling fish,why fish if you don't like to touch them :confused:,just get on with it and stop being a girls blouse ;)

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't have any problem with handling or kissing fish although I'm not too thrilled about catching small snotties when the slime gets everywhere (line, hands, clothes, nets) although I've found that the larger Bream don't seem to have as much slime on them.

It's not that Bream slime makes me feel sick or anything; it's just very very annoying.

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I have no issues with handling fish, although I confess that when \I hook bream - usually by accident - I generally try to unhook them in the margins without getting them out of the water. The slime is 'orrible.

I occasionally see people trying to unhook pike wearing huge gloves and treating them as though they were carrying mains electricity. Laughable, why target a species if you are not comfortable unhooking them.

tincatim

Reaction score

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can I own up to having a bit of a fetish for tench? They always remind me of wet silk and a certain exotic young lady I once had the pleasure of.............When I say once what I really mean is........Oops, just having a bit of a Boote moment there.