Being organised

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to get organised so that I can go fishing at the drop of a hat, don't get much time nowadays!
I like to fish for different species , as such have accumulated a lot of gear! I seem to spend more time swapping things between bags rather than fishing, inevitably I have arrived only to realise I have left something at home!
Short of taking everything how do you all do it? I am thinking of setting up 3-4 bags , I know I will have to double up on stuff but it seems the only way to me.
Any help appreciated:wh

Thanks

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Hi Noddy,

Within reason, that's what I do. I have tackle boxes stocked up for different types of angling, a general one that always goes, one for carp, one for pike and one for silvers. A separate bag and Vest for fly fishing and a lure bag. You are right, a certain amount of duplication is necessary but I find that I can very quickly get ready to go with a much reduced likelyhood that I've left something behind (still happens from time to time anyway I'm afraid).

The trick is to get organised in your own way, to suit the fishing you do. Most years I fish for Carp from March to October, Pike in the Winter with a bit of fly fishing, lure fishing, a bit of tenching in June (how could you not) and occasional Barbel trip and a bit of trotting for roach, chub, grayling etc when the mood takes me.

Good luck

Stu

john step

Reaction score
Yup, a set of tackle for barbel, one for pike, one for tench and silvers, one for carp and I still manage to forget things usually the wallet of permits.
Permanently housed with my spare wheel in the car are a couple of old reels a folding landing net and a couple of tins of bait such are DAMMED FREQUENT ELDERLY MOMENTS!!:eek:mg:

bracket

Reaction score
I am much the same as the rest, an old Shakespeare tackle box and holdall for my river gear and a PI On Box, plus holdall with all the stillwater stuff. I too suffer from major Senior farting moments, but with me it is the genuine article, not loss of memory. Pete.

law

Reaction score
When I had a garage, I used to have everything stored sensibly on shelves. Then would pack the relevant gear into my bag, depending what species I was after.
Now I don't have a garage, just a cupboard under the stairs, I do as above- have a bag for pike, bag for silvers/tench/feeder fishing and a bigger bag for long carp sessions and a bag for carp stalking sessions.
I've had to duplicate a few little bits and bobs, but it makes it much easier.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The duplication of gear is worth the outlay if it means you can go fishing in minutes rather than spending n hour unpacking and re packing a bag and with always the danger of forgetting something

B

binka

When I had a garage, I used to have everything stored sensibly on shelves. Then would pack the relevant gear into my bag, depending what species I was after.

This works for me too.

I will admit to being very OCD when it comes to organising my gear and especially as I like a variation of species, venues, methods etc. which all require varying degrees of different gear.

This is partly because I don't want to spend ages sifting through kit prior to every session but also because lugging something a fair distance that I needn't have irritates me just as much as forgetting something I need.

I also find the multiple bag approach works well for the sake of a bit of duplication of terminal gear.

Trying to lay stuff out in a logical order took more doing than anything but after much re-arranging and settling on something I was happy with I can now all but go along in a couple of minutes and lay my hands on what I need with my eyes closed and it's then just the quick routine of putting it back when I get home.

Like I say I think it's a bit OCD but it works for me.

Do I still forget stuff?

Of course! :eek:mg:

noddy_88e

Reaction score
That's very organised binka! Where did you get the cordura rod tubes from?
That's just what I looking for , as described on my recent post.

Thanks
Noddy

B

binka

That's very organised binka! Where did you get the cordura rod tubes from?
That's just what I looking for , as described on my recent post.

Thanks
Noddy

The tubes were supplied with the rods but you can buy some cordura tubes separately, I think Airflo is one make and Ebay will have plenty of listings... I remember seeing someone doing bespoke ones to order some time ago too so if I find it again i'll post a link.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
would love to have space to put my gear like yours binka total ocd that mate
just got the old coal house and not much room sharing with fridge freezer and dryer storing chairs and bait on top not much room to play with
and a store cupboard 1 metre x 1metre where i put my terminal tackle bags where they are safe in the house

greenie62

Reaction score
...I will admit to being very OCD when it comes to organising my gear ....
Like I say I think it's a bit OCD but it works for me.

Hey Binka,
How dya catch OCD? - looks like a beneficial disease! ;):D

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm another one that likes to grab the tackle and go with minimal fuss. I've got four bags; an Aldi day bag with stuff for light ledgering, float fishing and a bit of emergency predator gear, a lure / dead baiting fishing bag, a catfish bag and a 'kitchen sink' bag with all the carp stuff in; alarms, rigs, 2 & 3 oz weights, etc.

Once I've got the right bag out I just transfer the camera into it, put a rod or rods into whatever holdall or rod bag I'm taking and put whatever bait I need into the bag or bait bucket.

The house we bought is typical of 'modern' French houses (modern meaning less than 200 years old) in that it has a sou-sol or basement that is as large as the house itself. Imagine a bungalow built on a store room, or rooms. This is about a third of it. The car goes in the main doors, my workshop is through the doorway along with the washing machine, freezer and humongous sink. Round the corner at the top is another huge area that we use for storage and behind that is another room that is under the front patio and in there is the wine rack, wormery and fuel store. Then there is another little room off to the right with a patio window going out to the garden that Little Wife uses as a makeshift greenhouse.

This is my fishing area........

Nothing like as organised as Binka's but it does me. I'm intending making (or more likely getting someone competent to make) a double sided rod rack. The bait is in the plastic storage boxes outside the cupboard and the ones inside the cupboard have all the stuff I rarely use these days.

The beauty about this arrangement is that I can load and unload the car under cover and leave stuff out to dry without getting in the way or annoying Little Wife.

I could do with Binka coming over to organise the space to its best effect :)

terry m

Reaction score
As others have said, separate bags/holdalls for different styles of fishing. I cannot think of an alternative that would work for me.

B

binka

I could do with Binka coming over to organise the space to its best effect :)

Took the idea right out of my head, kind of thing I really enjoy.

Not sure if you could cope with the "don't touch that... no, not there... come back in six hours" though :D

A bit OCD ? :eek::eek: That is straight out of a medical textbook. I've seen less well stocked [and infinately less well organised] tackle shops. There's not even any mud ffs ! :eek:mg:

Lmao :D

Just for you Skip here's an older one complete with mud during a "playtime"...

NURSE... NURSE...