electric fences--

nicepix

Reaction score
I never trust them. Over here there isn't the same restrictions on access. You can walk across a field to access the river or public lake and nobody minds. But there are a lot of grazing land containing Limousin cattle, a semi-feral breed that only encounters humans when they are being de-horned, stuck with needles, having their calves taken from them or shot dead so they aren't particularly friendly, especially cows with calves.

When you've only got a 2mm electric wire between you and a herd of Limousins remember that whilst you can go where you want, you might not want to go where you can.

bracket

Reaction score
One of the venues I fish has been prone to predation by mink and otter. The owner surrounded it with an electic fence, which has more or less solved the problem. The fence is only two foot six high, so it is easy to set the pole roller up to avoid it when shipping back. However the fence is just six metres back from the water's edge and if you fish the far bank at thirteen metres, hook into a lump and follow it round with the pole, you are soon reminded of it's presence. For someone of my years it's like having your own bespoke pacemaker. Pete.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
My club was losing a large carp every other day and our tench and crucians were decimated by otters until we fitted a 2 foot high electric fence a few years ago. It certainly works. You get quite a kick if you touch it but all in all its better than no fish.
Anyone wants more info for their own lake PM me.

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yes they dang well hurt esp if you are having to try to reconstruct one that a car has gone thru in an effort to keep the stupid sheep in ( Weston Park a few years ago Agbo rally ) ..

PG ..

seth49

Reaction score
If you want to check if they are live or not touch the wire with a piece of grass, you will get a small shock only.

How we used to test them when I lived on the farm.

A lurcher bitch I used to have once touched one with her wet nose, never seen her go as fast.

One day there were two hikers trying to get over one up the field.they had pots and pans hanging of there rucksacks,You should have heard the racket they made,
Really funny??

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Had the dubious pleasure of my metal landing net pole touching one as I was trying to land a barbel on the Kennet years ago. Most unpleasant.

Only after the fish was landed did I discover that my so called mate had stitched me up by extending the handle and moving the net so that as soon as I picked it up it would touch the fence. Barstid ! This is the same bloke who watched me nearly drown when I took a dive in a very high Thames. He was rolling about on the bank helpless with laughter while I was heading for Teddington at a fair lick. My best mate but God how I hated him that day !

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Forgot I was fishing in front of one until the pole touched it - then I got a short, sharp shock.

Didn't forget again....:)

nicepix

Reaction score
2 crocodile. 50ft off cable. 12" florescent light = free bivvy light

Except that the current pulses so your light would drive you mad and attract the attentions of any intolerant tax inspectors who happen to be fishing nearby ;)

nicepix

Reaction score
Damn right it would ! I'm waiting for someone to bring out a bankside mortar so I can sort these searchlight wearing idiots out.

I could just imagine you with a mortar

mortar-board-.jpg

terry m

Reaction score
I used to repair these things in a former life, more years ago than I care to consider.

As has been said, they are not continually live, they pulse. So quickly brushing a finger over the fence is not conclusive. Look for a red or brightly coloured box situated close to the fence with an earth spike. On a damp day you can sometimes hear the faint pulsing.

The voltage is extremely high c25Kv, but the current is not huge, though it damned well hurts. The old stories about electric shocks being good for you are rubbish. Each electric shock can cause internal damage that does not repair, not necessarily high levels of damage, but certainly not desirable. Be cautious.

greenie62

Reaction score
...The voltage is extremely high c25Kv, but the current is not huge, though it damned well hurts....

The old saying springs to mind:

Its the volts that jolts - But the mills that kills! :eek:

(mills as in milliamps = current)

bigfish74

Reaction score
I tend nkt to go near them anymore after a "mate" of mine told me to touch one when we were young felt like someone had booted me up the ass very very hard.
Andy

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being brought up in the country I learned about them at a young age,
Being boys we used them as a test to see how hard you were, if you are expecting the shock it was tolerable but if you weren't is sure straightened your spine and opened your eyes.
The trick was to grab it between the clunking sounds and hold it tight and see who could stand the most shocks.
The other thing we used to do was touch the fence and touch your mate at the same time, both of you would get a shock then.
The funniest one was a field trip from school when I was about 10 where we all held hands and the teacher touched the fence and one of the kids and we all lifted into the air together, we spent the next 10 minutes laughing and daring each other to do it again.