Fishing mishaps

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I'm thinking of injuries sustained on route to the swim, or actually fishing.

I'll start with one of my own.
Some years ago on the Yorkshire Derwent, making my way to a stretch of the river, through some course long grass, I felt a searing pain in the region of the shin bone. To cut a long story short, I'd become entangled in some rusty barbed wire attached to a fallen post. Resulting in, some three or four days later a nasty infection, which required medical attention. And an endless course of injections.

So, has anything befallen you.

B

binka

How long ya got? :D

The usual calamitous slips and trips, I once did a forwards foot spin in soft mud whilst carrying a made up rod which resulted in the tip digging into the ground and snapping off :eek:mg:

A couple of seasons ago I went down a steep bank very early in the morning shortly after the river level had subsided following high water which left an ice like layer of silt, I couldn't stop and just picked up speed until I bashed through the reeds and into the river beyond up to my wotsits.

One of the strangest things happened to me as a kid, I had been fishing with a small open wound on my hand and picked up a bacterial infection from the water which resulted in me watching the wound get bigger and bigger over the course of the next few days as the bacteria ate away at the edges until I was whisked off to the doctors where it was easily treated with a course of antibiotics.

Etc... Etc... :D

Edited to add: Almost forgot what is probably the best when a hook on my taut line pinged out of the mouth of a tench which I had ready to unhook in the landing net between my knees and shot straight to the top of one of my nostrils... A very uncomfortable ten minutes with a disgorger and pair of tweasers.

Last edited:

caelan

Reaction score
Ireland fishing trip went over for a weeks fishing been of work with a bad back
for 12weeks but still went over there and I fell in the water on 5 separate days

mike47

Reaction score
When a young lad (many moons ago) I was fishing with a chum Dave and my uncle Dave ( a real character) in the upper reaches of a harbour. Uncle Dave cast out but couldn't see his bait hit the water. We both turned around to see my chum stood there with a hook through his cheek and a ragworm wriggling on it. Uncle Dave and I fell on the ground laughing, which caused my chum even more pain. Took him a while to get over it.

pf0x

Reaction score
I've fallen out of a tree..... :eek:

No damaged sustained but it's amazing how many thoughts go through your head whilst you're falling! There is the split-second as you try to convince yourself that you're not really falling and everything is ok. Until you realise that no, you really are falling! Followed by "I can't believe you've fallen out of this tree you massive idiot".

*Thud*

Also the usual "oops that mud was a lot softer than I was expecting. Oh look it's gone over my boots".....

Luckily nothing serious.

alsoran

Reaction score
I've been returning 20lb+ Carp, slipped and got into the water before the fish on a couple of occasions:eek:mg:

Been fly fishing on a windy day and ended up with a 'Gold Head Hares Ear' in my cheek just below my sunglasses, good job it was barbless,:eek:

Had the rear legs of chairs slide out from under the chair with me on it:eek:

john step

Reaction score
As mentioned before in threads, been swimming with my mobile a few times.
Winter is the worst. Goodness knows what those strange people who swim all year round in lakes and the sea get out of it!

Keith M

Reaction score
I remember I was a seven or eight year old fishing on the Thames with my dad and the undercut riverbank underneath me collapsed into the river, an angler in the next swim had to dive in and pull me out because my dad couldn't swim.

I also remember my mate took a picture of me holding a Tench at night and the flash temporarily blinded me and as I returned the Tench to the water I put my foot down where I thought was firm ground and went head first into the water.

Keith

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Whilst fishing a match (Leeds-Liverpool Canal at Maghull), the chap in the next peg leaned forward on his box and just carried on going, head first into the canal.

This being Liverpool, the accompanying comments were both numerous and uncharitable (but darned funny) :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There was a time when I could proudly state that I had fallen in every river I'd ever fished.....and I mean proper fallen in not a bit of a bootful. I've had the usual hook's in the usual places,nothing serious but damned sore none the less.

The best I've ever seen however was Big Ted and The Bailiff.

Big Ted [bless him] was a lad who used to come on Phil's works matches. He was as keen as mustard but not terribly bright. One day when the fishing was particularly slow Ted decided to do a bit of piking and managed to drive one of the treble hooks on a very sizeable plug straight into the bailiff's George McCalls. Ted didn't realise and was yanking for all he was worth while Bailey Boy was hopping about with a plug stuck in his Old Chap.

I honestly thought I was going to die laughing.

peterjg

Reaction score
Years ago, no decades ago, the in chair to use when carp fishing was a wooden deck chair - I had a run, pushed myself upwards , the chair collapsed sending an angler fishing opposite into hysterics.

Years ago on the upper Lea I jumped across what I thought was a ditch onto a flat muddy bank - the flat muddy bank was a load of floating scum and I went into 4 foot of water, rods and tackle.

I once borrowed a rowing boat on a carp lake I used to fish - I fell in just getting into it.

A few years ago I was banned from my then club because I kept falling over! Nothing to do with drink, I was recovering from an ear operation which effected my balance.

Just a sample .....

nicepix

Reaction score
About ten years ago this month I launched my kayak out of Withernsea, East Yorkshire in a flat calm sea. A few lads had already set off and there was just me and another lad following on. There were also some anglers on the sea wall and I was keeping a eye on their lines and negotiating through them which entailed going 45 degrees to the shore. Just at that point, one single and very large wave, probably wake from a large ship going up the Humber, struck the kayak amidships and rolled me out. It was only about 5 feet deep, but as I was kneeling on the bottom it became apparent that I hadn't fastened the neck seal on my kag'. And all the leads that had been laid loose in the cockpit could be seen scattered around me. I had been slack in my preparation owing to the calm conditions. Normally for a beach launch I'd be all wrapped up and the tackle stored. Fortunately the rod was an Ugly-Stik and so survived whereas any other rod would have snapped.

Strange thing was that after making it back to shore, emptying my kag' and getting back aboard I was able to continue fishing all afternoon without feeling cold such is modern polyester clothing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have done most of them, fallen in, tripped over etc. I know one of the reasons I bought a mobile phone was I often fish on my own miles from anywhere, some of the marsh waters I fish are like that, you wouldn't see a human being all day. I reasoned if I ever broke my ankle or became ill I could always ring for assistance. Not had to use it yet but, there may come a time so, I think they are a godsend in this respect. I always make sure I have my phone with me before I go fishing.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This was my most recent one a couple of years ago when a friend walked into the line as I was putting a bait on the hair.
You have three options if you do this,

1) Push the hook through until the point and barb pop out then cut it off and remove the hook.
2) Pull it out through gritted teeth.
3) Go to hospital and lose a nights fishing sitting in A&E.

I went for option 2 which straightened my spine for me then at the wife's insistence I called in at my local surgery the next day for a tetanus booster only to be told I didn't need one.

sagalout

Reaction score
I like the 'Sparkle' on the hook - is it to help keep bait in place?
It to show the doctors how clean the hook was so he didn't need a tetanus. Either that or he borrowed it from Binka's freshly polished neatly packaged in a mahogany dovetailed hook box collection.