New Fishing Program on TV

Judas Priest

Reaction score
To be honest I turned off about half way through. Dean and Ali came across ok but it wasn't for me, or more importantly as a non angler the wife. She likes most angling programmes, or more more likely suffers me watching them, but this one she thought wasn't very good which after 30 years of everything from Passion for angling, through the Matt Hayes times and even the Golden Maggot says something.

fruitowl

Reaction score
Good heads up thanks for that will have to set it on record when it doesn't clash with the other halfs programes :p

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
No don't sugar coat it Crow, tell it like it is

I just don't like the kind of angling programme that is a compromise trying to appeal to anglers and none anglers, I don't think it works, Robson Greens stuff was for me a prime example of this, still I suppose any angling on TV is better than none and I do have the control by my chair :)

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

And that's before theCrow makes a special 'guest' appearance! :eek::D

If I did you wouldn't be able to see me :)

theartist

Reaction score
Thought it was ok, wasn't great but hey ho as Crow says any angling on tv is better than none. Macey and Hamidi seemed likeable and were entertaining and I thought format would have appeal for the wider audience. ITV4 and Korda should be championed for this project rather than the lambasting they are going to get from us lot. Programmes like Passion' are so well made they are like classic Zeppelin or Mozart compared to this programme which is bubblegum pop, but is that a bad thing? Kids are going to get it and given time it could improve as much as Robson Green's programme has, which i watch more for the commaraderie than the fishing as if it were just for the latter i'd watch stick float videos on youtube (which i do) but that won't make for popular mainstream tv.

Passers by who chat to me when i'm fishing talk about Robson Green or River monsters now whereas they used to ask "Isn't fishing boring?" I don't get that any more which is testament to our pastime being less underground and more accessible due to programmes that serious anglers may find a bit cringeworthy at times.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
It was truly the worst fishing programme I have ever seen. I turned it off half way through.

Robson at least goes to some stunning locations and catches (or is handed a rod attached to) some stunning fish. This one was two disinterested nobodies fishing a muddy puddle for goldfish.

Unless the next episode has lingerie models for guests I will not be watching it.

Last edited:

lureed

Reaction score
I was very disappointed by this first episode, particularly as Dean Macey fishes some waters local to me, and thought they might feature. If the format continues as is that's not going to be the case. This series is obviously not going to appeal to the experienced angler - there seemed to be very little fishing shown, just a bit if banter, some very sketchy fishing instruction, and a few long shots of fish being landed. To be honest I couldn't see just who it is aimed at.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dean Macey is an Essex boy who was a decent all round athlete/decathlon (gold medal commonwealth games and silver and bronze world champs) and a real media *****. This is his way of stretching his media career, I have never enjoyed his cameo guest appearances on other peoples fishing shows and didn't even bother to watch this one, looks like I didn't miss much.

Edit, Can't believe wh0re is in the profanity filter.

Last edited:

pf0x

Reaction score
I'm refusing to watch this out of principle (the principle being I don't watch rubbish tele). One viewing of the trailer was enough for me.

I don't dislike Dean Macey (or some of the Korda/Thinking Tackle output). I think Dean is a "good thing" for angling (especially after I heard him defend angling on Radio 5 a few years ago when it was suggested fishing is 'cruel' etc.) He's a good guy with genuine passion for angling.

Anglers and angling are viewed with suspicion by some and as being odd and downright nutty by others. Mainstream TV just won't make a plain, normal coarse angling show for anglers, sadly.

Dean was on TalkSport radio yesterday hoping his new series "would do for angling what the British Bake Off did for baking". Good luck with that. It's a shame they felt they had to appeal to the lowest common denominator (Z list celebrity and general 'laryness') to achieve it.

mike47

Reaction score
Switched off after 20 min as I was fed up watching a bloke who had never fished before and probably would never fish again. He just couldn't be bothered. Much better stuff on u tube...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
And I was really looking forward to watching this program !!!**** and*****

So, what would be the ideal angling program, any suggestions?

greenie62

Reaction score
Switched off after 20 min as I was fed up watching a bloke who had never fished before and probably would never fish again. He just couldn't be bothered.....

The first 20 mins are the worst! It gets better after that - it would be hard not to - honest! At least they had a convert by the end - oops - sorry - forgot spoiler alert! Just hoping it gets better!:rolleyes:

Suggestions for a better programme:
Mr Crabtree goes fishing - with our own Peter of course! :)

Last edited: