molasses sugar

fruitowl

Reaction score
has any body ever tried molasses sugar in a groundbait mix for bream rather than the liquid stuff,
has anyone ever thought about it.
opinions please

alsoran

Reaction score
It might work but, the lack of water in the groundbait might mean it won't/can't dissolve, which in turn could make the ground bait not bind together properly.
Bulk liquid is the best option btw not the stuff from tackle shops.

Chris..

caelan

Reaction score
hi fruitfowl
never seen it or used it in the sugar form only in liquid
in my bream mix it may just work keep us posted tar

fruitowl

Reaction score
hi fruitfowl
never seen it or used it in the sugar form only in liquid
in my bream mix it may just work keep us posted tar

will do am thinking about trying it sunday and as a bag of the sugar is only £1.19 worth a go.
possibly use a little hot water mix with the sugar then add to groundbait mix so the sugar will already have dissolved.

Steve2020

Reaction score
I generally use the mollases from Holland and Barratt with plain Brown crumb and micro pellets' which has brought me some enjoyable bream catches.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
As alsoran says, bulk Molasses, (usually a gallon), from anywhere that does Horse Supplies.

Also, if you do want to try granular, Demerara Sugar, if it does'nt work you can always use it in your coffee :thumbs:

Sorry, Demerara Sugar should be available from any Supermarket, two heaped TABLEspoons per approx kilo of g/bait.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Merv,

Mo lasses is what John Lee Hooker or Howlin Wolf would demand in their dressing room if playing a gig in Rotherham...ok, maybe York or somewhere munter free then...

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
You know it, my friend. Along with Art Tatum, Etta James, Billie Holliday, Charlie Parker and a great many others. When i say I love the Blues, that don't come easy for a lifelong Liverpool man... :)

The Sogster

Reaction score
Big Bill Broonzy for me.

On topic, the only time I used molasses was to soak sugar puffs.
Worked a treat as a bait however using it at the end of autumn it seemed to attract more wasps than fish grrrr. Probably didn't help that I kept wiping my hands on my thighs.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Big Bill Broonzy for me.

Worked a treat as a bait however using it at the end of autumn it seemed to attract more wasps than fish grrrr. Probably didn't help that I kept wiping my hands on my thighs.

Should have rolled a few cigars on your thighs to make a bit of extra coin :thumbs:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Big Bill Broonzy for me.

A fine choice. My compliments. :)

My personal favourite is Chicago barrelhouse piano blues so guys like Albert Ammons and Art Tatum are as good as it gets but Big Bill is a class act too.

mccn

Reaction score
Hello matey,

I am a new member on here but read your thread wiv interest. I have used this many times and the liquid molasses with great results using both however the beauty of using the granulated type is that it doesn't give off that distinctive smell that will alert all your mates with what's in your groundbait mix.
The best results I had with it was by dissolving it in a jug of boiling hot water and letting it cool completely, once cooled mix it into your groundbait gradually over about an hour. Riddle your mix , bag it up and freeze it (all this must be done at least 48 hrs before use). The best weight we've had on this mix in a 6 hour match this winter is 127lb (no lies) of skimmers and big bream (no carp).

Good luck mate