Daiwa Black Widow or Fox Warrior S rod

alantay

Reaction score
I am just about to start Carp fishing and I am not sure which one of these two rods to purchase. 'Daiwa Black Widow' or 'Fox Warrior S'. I also need a combination reel. I am on a budget of about £50 and do not want to spend too much money to start with. Can you advice on which rod is better to start with and should I start with a 2.75tc or 3tc, mainly fishing in small/medium size commercial lakes.

laguna

Reaction score
Its nice to see a few carp anglers posting on here lately and I hope some will stick around for a while and help answer some of the many questions asked. :w

I'm no out and out carper but I do know the Black Widow is a favourite amongst many commercial carp anglers, I suspect its due to the 'easy to remember' name rather than performance that accounts for its popularity? Not that there's anything wrong with Diawa stuff, indeed they produce some excellent budget gear whereas the Fox is generally considered higher quality but it causes too many moths to fly out of the old wallet imo.

Personally I'd go with a 2.75 test on UK commercial type venues, your unlikely to encounter anything big enough give you problems.

Here's another for you to consider; TF Gear Banshee 11-13' Allrounder Rod in Feeder Rods | Fishtec
Its not as trendy if you like to follow the crowd and its certainly nothing to brag about either, but it will do the job asked of it Bonus? you also get a free reel to go with it good luck.

law

Reaction score
I have a pair of the original Warriors and they are ****.
I've been told that the new versions are much improved, but I'm still dubious.

The Daiwas are proven time and time again so I'd go with them, but if you can stretch your budget, I'd go with the Sonik SKS's. I've got a set and my mate upgraded his Black Widows for a set after using mine for a session. They are a much better rod.

alantay

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
I checked out your recommendation on the 'TF Gear Banshee 11-13' Allrounder Rod' and this look like good buy and l do fish for all types of fish (silver fish, bream, barble and carp) on float and feeder. I am not a hardcore carp fisher. Do you know the spec on the quiver tips? and mainline rating for the rod?
Would this rod be OK for fishing for carp up to double figures on commercial lakes?

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
I checked out your recommendation on the 'TF Gear Banshee 11-13' Allrounder Rod' and this look like good buy and l do fish for all types of fish (silver fish, bream, barble and carp) on float and feeder. I am not a hardcore carp fisher. Do you know the spec on the quiver tips? and mainline rating for the rod?
Would this rod be OK for fishing for carp up to double figures on commercial lakes?
The TF rod isnt something I've used personally Alan but I know a couple of guys who say its adequate for carp to mid doubles and if you also float fish for tench or silver fish seems a bit of a bargain to be honest but then you gets what you pay for... might serve you well for a year or two then perhaps progress to something a bit more 'tarty' looking?

There was a thread the other day about the TF gear rod I'll see if I can find it...

erm not the best advert, its regards the repair of said rod! :eek:mg: perhaps the OP can offer you some advice/opinion before you part with some dosh? http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/rod-building/355028-how-repair-broken-rod.html#post1332344

Last edited: