Chevin

dalesman

Reaction score
Last night in the pub with Black sheep bitter going down nicely, we got round to every body's favourite specie the loggerhead, chevin or chub.

And we all had different ideas on a roaming set up as in a rod, whether be a Avon style rod with a straight tip or the feeder rod and tips.

At least six of the lads use old feeder rods because they don't want to use 1lb plus TC rods but want to upgrade their old feeder rods but find increasingly impossible to find multi section rods (3) for roaming on the river for the good old Chevin

Keith M

Reaction score
if I'm roving for Chub on a small river or stream where there are beds of streamer weed, root strewn undercuts and overhanging branches etc. then I'm quite happy using one of my older 11ft 1.25lb TC J.Wilson Avon Quivers either with the quiver tip section or the Avon tip section (if I am touch legering); I think they are great rods for this type of fishing for Chub.

When I am fishing much larger rivers then I usually use 12 ft 1.5lb Barbel rods (with or without their associated quivertips) which enables me to cast larger feeders and leads with ease and reach overhanging branches along the far bank if they are not too far.

However I'd have no qualms in using much lighter rods than these if I'm fishing in open water or in a relatively snag free swim and didn't need to cast too far.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Daiwa (Airity, Spectron, Team SR3, Harrier) and Shimano (Fireblood, Speedcast, Super Ultegra, Beastmaster CX, Aernos, Alivio) still both do models of match type three piece feeder rods in their current 2015 catalogues. You may not find them in the local tackle shops, but they do exist. Not everything out there is two piece and 12' maximum, though you could be forgiven for thinking so depending on what you read or the tackle shops you frequent.