Is Facebook killing off forums...?

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have noticed on various fora that membership and posting traffic is dropping, not just with Angling based sites, but quite a few other forum subjects... this seems to be allied to a corresponding rise in Facebook activity by those fora... anyone like to offer an reasoned opinion....?

greenie62

Reaction score
...... anyone like to offer an reasoned opinion....?

It's probably because it's easier to block people intruding onto 'your' FB site than it is to a Forum - just ask BlackKettle!:eek::rolleyes::D
It'll then fall into a myriad of splinter groups and sub-splinter groups until they become thousands of 'Me&MyMates' groups and have no concerted presence at all - at which point they cease to become a mass social media format until they are re-united again by a 'hosting forum'. Plus ca change.....:eek:mg:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have to say that I'm no fan of facebook... I don't have a account and I find it's sidelines (selling info about it's members, highly questionable) I also hate the layout... (the code is total pants) and the fact that there is no moderation is totally ridiculous, I'm well aware that it has it's fans, but I'm not one of 'em

thecrow

Reaction score
I have to say that I'm no fan of facebook... I don't have a account and I find it's sidelines (selling info about it's members, highly questionable) I also hate the layout... (the code is total pants) and the fact that there is no moderation is totally ridiculous, I'm well aware that it has it's fans, but I'm not one of 'em

I am a member of some FB groups nearly all are angling related, one that isn't that is interesting is a local history/memories page, all are moderated.

I am not aware of any information I have given FB that could be sold, there is no information about me as I haven't given them any and so far I have had no unwanted e mails unless the ones regarding spurious offers of money or tax rebates which I imagine are from an African country are a result.

It is noticeable that at times there is a lack of posts on some forums, whether that's down to FB or the same old thing being discussed on forums, who knows, how many what rod/net/reel/landing net/brolly threads will a forum stand? :D

PS isn't it time ALL forums used the active members of the forum as the count when mentioning member numbers?

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
the info they sell is for market research/statistics etc, it's illegal to sell info about individuals due to the data protection act, but key-click info is saleable... that said most commercial sites make money in this way.... but it's still summat that annoys, I used to have an account, but the amount of cr@p that I received was atrocious.... but as to your comment about moderation, I'd have to disagree... there is a lot of facebook that is un-moderated, maybe it has changed since I last had an account... but TBH I saw little evidence of it when I did

thecrow

Reaction score
the info they sell is for market research/statistics etc, it's illegal to sell info about individuals due to the data protection act, but key-click info is saleable... that said most commercial sites make money in this way.... but it's still summat that annoys, I used to have an account, but the amount of cr@p that I received was atrocious.... but as to your comment about moderation, I'd have to disagree... there is a lot of facebook that is un-moderated, maybe it has changed since I last had an account... but TBH I saw little evidence of it when I did

Arthur I said that the groups I belong to are moderated and they all are, you may have had a different experience.

B

binka

I hope the majority of discussion doesn't go over to facebook as I'm not on it and have no desire to be.

My mate follows Pike on there on what is a moderated fb site but the whole thing's not for me... I overhear far too many conversations about who's said what about who and why they've been blocked or blocked someone else etc., I need that sort of thing like an extra hole in the head and I'm also highly suspicious of how information is used.

Wasn't there an issue in the national media some time ago which highlighted the need to keep up with the ever changing t's & c's and how they affected your personal settings?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't like Facebook. Never got on with it, very confusing I find but, I may be just stuuupid. I only keep on it as my nephew lives and works in Columbia and he lets me now he is OK through it and I like to keep tabs on him. He was once on a bus and the local bandits stopped it and got on with machine guns. He thought he was a goner as he is a gringo and looks American. Fortunately they did not kidnap him for a ransom as they were on a goodwill mission handing out presents to the locals. I worry for him and I don't want to have to sell my old decrepit fishing gear to raise a ransom but, I suspect the 10 or 20 quid would not cover it. By the by-
However , I must visit him one day and get some Colombian fishing under my belt.
He lives a exciting life but, personally give me fishing magic and "I caught an amazing gudgeon" thread any day and its easier to use and follow than Facebook and once I found some right wing Nazi types on Facebook. Why or how I cannot remember but, at least fishing magic members may only hit a dislike button now and then or just ignore you or occasionally chuck their handbags around and that's OK by me, because at least you know what to expect, on Facebook, anything may turn up.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
I, also, am not a great fan of Facebook. I have an account, for the sole purpose of accessing our very active local Village Website. The difficulty I have with Facebook is this: Should I walk down Poole High Street I am completely anonymous and ignored. As soon as I log on to Facebook total strangers are desperate to be my friend. What is that all about? Pete.

tincatim

Reaction score
I'm glad it's not just me then. I'm one of the only 'younger' people I know that's never signed up to facebook, when I say younger I'm 34. Im just not interested in knowing every little bit of inane drivel that people are doing all of the time.

My missus uses it and some of the **** people post is just terrible, who cares that you're tired and off to bed, or that you burnt your toast! I don't.

I can see the positives to it, for people that have moved away and want to keep in touch or swap photos. Yes there are fishing groups and fishey pages, but I'd much rather use a dedicated forum like this one as it's relevant to what I'm interested in.

As for the original question, I can't say I've noticed a decrease in forum activity yet. I've been using various forums since I returned to angling nearly 4 years ago. The only decline I've seen was the Go Fishing forum, but that was always pretty quiet anyway.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I, also, am not a great fan of Facebook. I have an account, for the sole purpose of accessing our very active local Village Website. The difficulty I have with Facebook is this: Should I walk down Poole High Street I am completely anonymous and ignored. As soon as I log on to Facebook total strangers are desperate to be my friend. What is that all about? Pete.

Online Charisma Pete , I have it , you have it.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It's simple really ,, you just make sure that the info you put up there can not be traced back to you ..

According to FB i live in Hungary :wh my IP says central London ;) and any phone numbers are from the land down under :wh

All good fun

PG ..

nicepix

Reaction score
I tried Facebook for a few weeks. Its all photos of ugly kids and stupid requests for you to 'Like' something that means damn all to anybody.

laguna

Reaction score
Your your own moderator on your own page/wall, the personal information provided would be voluntary. Pages and groups on FB are moderated as they are set up and maintained by others.

The appeal? for us it enables us to gauge our marketing efforts with our own page, we can see in real time endorsements and feedback, address any concerns almost immediately, public announcements etc.

For others its a means to keep in touch with friends and family, some people seem to collect friends just for the hell of it. A few famous people have accounts too and everyone seems to follow them around for the goss. :eek:mg:

Advantages are live chat, video calls and file sharing, keeping in touch with relatives abroad etc. The real disadvantage to facebook is its sound-byte none archival rants, not much better than twits to be honest.

Forums need a good shake up if they are to compete by including some of the features FB has IMO.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
In much the same way that the web has impacted on something like the Barbel Society, Facebook has certainly affected forums.

It's added a choice that some like and some don't.

On a personal level I much prefer it, you have a wider audience and find a more varied selection of people respond.

You set your own standard on Facebook, in five years I've only removed a couple of people because of swearing, it works well for me.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I'm not convinced.... I heard that companies are also using facebook profiles to gauge behaviour/characters of prospective employees... that to me is bloody invasive.... as for "Following" celebrities... AAAAAAAAaaaaarrrrrrrgh.....!!!! FFS whats that all about....?????

Here's a tale that will tickle you.... a mate of mine sent me a friend request (when I had my account) and as I didn't log on that often, I got a phone message from the irate friend..... "why didn't I accept his fried request....?"

Now here's the tickler... I saw him the following week and had to argue the fact that since I had known him for 37 years what was so important about a friend request....? did our friendship need the validation of a computer keystroke???? the following day I deleted my account, we are still mates, especially as I'm the godfather to his youngest boy, but this is just one example of a needless reliance on a computer for a social life.....:eek:mg::wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Facebook is fine for what it is. If you don't want to see inane or banal rubbish, block the "friends" that post it, just ignore it or unfriend those that really get on your wick, provided you can cope with any potential fallout of doing so. I prefer to just ignore it, but my view of some friends has undoubtedly been coloured by their use of Facebook.

Facebook can be pretty much whatever you want it to be. However, as an alternative to forums, I find that it's horrible. If Facebook does eventually kill off forums, it'll be down to the ever increasing numbers of people that live their life on it. Most of the angling related stuff on FB leaves me cold. Too many dafties talking cobblers in text speak for my liking. I tend to follow some angling companies, waters etc for information updates, special offers, latest nes and the like. The only angling related group I have any real involvement with is the secret group for a syndicate. Only syndicate members can view it and it has proven to be quite useful for members to keep in touch and up to date with catch reports. It has even seen the odd member sign up to Facebook just to use it.

Forums may not be perfect, but in comparison they are largely populated by relative subject matter experts and rabid intellectuals. I suspect that's one of the biggest problems with forums, they are generally dominated by a relative few with either a lot of knowledge/experience or a lot of self confidence. They can be quite intimidating for those that are a little shy, newcomers and youngsters.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I'd rather use a forum than any other form of social media... they are better set out, structured and easier to navigate... oh and faaaaar less drivel about "I've had beans for dinner" or" I've just had a monster poo" (I kid you not)

sam vimes

Reaction score
less drivel about "I've had beans for dinner" or" I've just had a monster poo" (I kid you not)

That's nothing to do with Facebook, per se. What you see on Facebook is down to those you choose to have as friends, or fail to adjust the settings to filter out!;):D