A long overdue return to fishing

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Hello all. I grew up in Norfolk, starting fishing at 7 or 8. Always loved catching small roach and perch in a gravel pit near my parents' house. Then after a year or so I caught a pike on a spinner, and that was it - I was obsessed with catching pike from then onwards. Caught many, but due to the locations I fished, nearly all were small.

I stopped fishing at 16 (still not sure why), then when my parents moved house I agreed for them to give away my tackle - carbon carp rods, Mitchell 300A reels, a big box of lures, landing net, Avon scales etc. All gone.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, 31 years since I last went pike fishing. I started watching YouTube videos of pike catches on the Broads and elsewhere with my young son. Both of us were fascinated, I felt that old excitement again. So I set about building up my gear again and watching more videos for techniques old and new. We went lure fishing early Feb, no sign of a fish all day. Then 2 days ago we went deadbaiting and caught 3 jacks, lost a slightly bigger one and had a couple of dropped takes. I am now back fishing again, my son absolutely loved it, and we are making lots of plans for trips. The only shame is the time of year - we'll have one last trip soon then return in October, but perhaps do some late Summer lure fishing before that. Need to leave those pike to spawn in peace!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Welcome back to the fold mate from a fellow pike angler, hope everything goes to plan and you and your son experience some red letter days together, tight lines.

tincatim

Reaction score
Great to see another returnee, I strongly believe that anyone who fished with any kind of serious interest as a youngster will one day return to it when they're older and settled down. It never leaves you, it just stays dormant for a while.

Welcome to FM

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Already planning this weekend's piking trip. Trying to make up for lost time before the season ends. My local Morrisons has a very good pike bait section :)