Freespirit E Class (Gold) Bank Creeper rod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In the next three or four months, I'll be in the market for a couple of stalking/margin rods. I've still got an open mind, but the budget isn't huge, but I won't be buying any old gear because it's cheap.
For rods that are likely to get chucked around a bit and dragged through undergrowth, the Freespirit Perdurable finish seems a sensible option. However, though I've seen and owned other Freespirit rods, I've never clapped eyes on the Creeper (Tree 6', Margin 8'6", Surface 11', Boat 10' and Bank Creeper 10') variants. Has anyone got any experience of them and anything to tell me, good or bad? Any good alternatives that folks know of? (No recommendations of the Hi-S, please. They may well be wonderful, but they are way more than I'm willing to fork out.)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have a Berkeley Snide, it's a 7'6" 2.25lb stalking rod I use it with an ageing Angler Scout sidecaster, It also get used with a Silstar baitfeeder as a third rod when on socials... it's handled carp to 17lb with no problems... ggod rods if you can find one (rare now)
There's the Chub Outkast Stalker (good rods, but no experience of em)

you could try a Nash Dwarf 6' 3lb that collapses down to a sneaky 30"
or even a Nash Dwarf 9' 1.75lb or 2.25lb all the way up to 3.5lb if that is your bag.....
All are cracking rods, I have a pair of Nash 9' 2.75lbs as my main carp rods.... for £50-60 each, you really can't go wrong...!:thumbs:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Arthur,
the Nash Dwarf/Scope are on my shortlist. However, there's no way I'll be buying any rod less than 9' long. I doubt I'll buy less than 10'. Margin fishing on a big open pit is the order of the day. There aren't any trees to speak of to require the really short stuff to go poking about.

Still rather fancy the Freespirits, but the chances of me getting hands on without buying is very slim.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Dwarf's are available in 10' lengths as well as 9' & 6' they're worth a look.... I can hit nearly 90 yards with my dwarfs..... if I had the 10 footers I might manage a few more, but according to the ad waffle I think the 9'ers can hit 150 yards in the right hands(Terry Edmonds I think) not mine:eek:

alexmack

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a bank creeper 10' and the 11' surface creeper. I own. . . Well far too many rods of a similar calibre all types of fishing and these are my favourite two!! Had them both done with cork handles a few years ago, so they are not the gold version, but I bet they are made on the same blank. The surface creeper is my absolute favourite rod bar none, for Flicking 5-15g controllers and cushioning light hooklink it is amazing! Both have a great through action and plenty of power for stopping big fish.

I can't compare them to a hundred other rods, but can tell you they make playing fish and casting an utter joy!

Tight lines
Alex