When is the close season???

theartist

Reaction score
I don't want to start a close season debate regarding going or staying but would like to know what you all think about the current dates.

This is a quote from an unrelated thread and rather than hijack that i've posted it here ...... "Incidentally I've been bumping into anglers who seem adamant the 15th march is in season"

It highlights that 15th - 15th inclusive is not the simplest way of doing things. To add to the confusion the coarse rod Licence expires at the end of March and not the 15th.

I know it's been this way for yonks but with many new anglers coming to these shores not bothering to adhere to the rules and many experienced anglers still unsure of the close season dates wouldn't it be easier for the season to end when the licence does?

Maybe even an April/May (inclusive) close season of two months with no loopholes like worming for eels would be simpler to enforce and educate both the angling and non angling public on? Any thoughts?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It's not only the dates that are confusing Artist

Midlands, Yorkshire, and the north-east and north-west of England

You can only use natural or artificial fly, minnow, worm, shrimp, prawn, sand eel or artificial lures during close season.

So if approached, I assume I'm fishing for Brown trout:confused:

alsoran

Reaction score
It's not only the dates that are confusing Artist

Midlands, Yorkshire, and the north-east and north-west of England

You can only use natural or artificial fly, minnow, worm, shrimp, prawn, sand eel or artificial lures during close season.

Sets one up nicely for a little drop shotting for trout:wh

Chris..

bracket

Reaction score
The duration of the Closed Season for Coarse Fishing is quite clear. It is from midnight on the 14th of March to Midnight on the 15th of June. The methods defined as those used in Coarse Fishing and subject to the Closed Season is where the misunderstandings and debates begins. Pete.

rubio

Reaction score
The guys I referred to were not, to judge from the gear they carried, inexperienced, nor were they foreign. The dates are clear and distinct unless you are looking to deliberately sneak an extra day I feel.
I mentioned it because it came up in conversation 3 times in a weekend. Last weekend. Freaky coincidence maybe the simple answer. Wonder how many others would be saying the same on the banks next sunday if one was to take a stroll?

B

binka

The guys I referred to were not, to judge from the gear they carried, inexperienced, nor were they foreign. The dates are clear and distinct unless you are looking to deliberately sneak an extra day I feel.
I mentioned it because it came up in conversation 3 times in a weekend. Last weekend. Freaky coincidence maybe the simple answer. Wonder how many others would be saying the same on the banks next sunday if one was to take a stroll?

I'm going back a long time probably around thirty years ago but I'm sure we fished on the 15th March in a genuine and common belief that the close season was the 16th March until the 16th June.

Please note the distinction between genuine belief and pre-meditated illegal fishing :)

The situation seems clear nowadays but it would be interesting to hear of other peoples recollections from many years ago as we were by far not the only ones and I've had similar conversations with other people.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going back a long time probably around thirty years ago but I'm sure we fished on the 15th March in a genuine and common belief that the close season was the 16th March until the 16th June.

Please note the distinction between genuine belief and pre-meditated illegal fishing :)

The situation seems clear nowadays but it would be interesting to hear of other peoples recollections from many years ago as we were by far not the only ones and I've had similar conversations with other people.

Like yourself Steve, i've also fished on the 15th of March (only about 5yrs ago) genuinly thinking it was the last day of the season. Wierd in'it how it still confuses me every year !

greenie62

Reaction score
Like yourself Steve, i've also fished on the 15th of March (only about 5yrs ago) genuinly thinking it was the last day of the season. Wierd in'it how it still confuses me every year !

Try telling the bailiff that one! - Ohhh - you are the bailiff! :eek::rolleyes::eek:mg:

keora

Reaction score
The close season for coarse fishing on rivers in England is the period from 15th March to 15th June inclusive.

There's an article on the history of the close season on this web site:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/feature...rly-history-of-the-coarse-fishing-season.html

The close season was originally introduced (the Mundella Act of 1878) after Sheffield anglers persuaded a local MP, Mr. Mundella, to propose legislation in Parliament.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try telling the bailiff that one! - Ohhh - you are the bailiff! :eek::rolleyes::eek:mg:

I'm not sure if i've got some kind of memory loss....especially regarding the closed season date ;) LOL.

Being serious I do get mixed up every year, god only knows why :confused:.

theartist

Reaction score
The close season was originally introduced (the Mundella Act of 1878) after Sheffield anglers persuaded a local MP, Mr. Mundella, to propose legislation in Parliament.

Since Nelson Mundella has sadly gone can we change it now? :wh

bracket

Reaction score

I bought my first rod licence in 1954, cost, I think, 1s 6d. It was issued by the Trent River Board and only covered you for that area. Later the Trent RB and Severn RB combined to become the T&S RA. More recently, all River Authorities amalgamated, under the EA banner, leading to the introduction of the current National licence. Back in 1954 the Closed Season was, as is now, the 15th March to 15th of June. The only exception I know to that, was at one period, the Yorkshire RB's Closed Season ended midnight 30th May giving two additional weeks to the open season in that area. 1st of June we Nottingham Lads were up there like a shot. Pete.