keeping worms on the hook

chrissh

Reaction score
when i go bream fishing 85% of the time i use lob worm
how do you keep worms on the hook without having to use plastic worm stops
how did you use to keep worm on the hook before worm stop came out .

B

binka

I prefer to use an eyed hook when whole worm fishing and thread the worm through the same side in and out (as opposed to straight through eg. not in one side and out the opposite side) and then thread the worm around the shank until the eye of the hook is inside the body, I rarely if ever lose a bait this way and the worm has relatively free movement but if I'm whacking it out any distance i'll still put a slither of silicone around the shank just to make sure.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have tried banding them with some success and mentioned this on another forum, a chap on the forum suggested tying a bait band on a hair and pulling it while stretched through the worm with a baiting needle, this works great and stands up to fairly hard casting. Its very good on barbless only waters and for fishing for Perch, where it allows you to strike instantly.

greenie62

Reaction score
...how do you keep worms on the hook without having to use plastic worm stops....

I used to use 'Beak' Baitholder hooks - with the double barbs on the shank and the hookpoint barb crunched down - size 6-10 for lobs, 12 for redworms, when free-lining for Trout on rivers. Thread the hook as far through the worm as you can - over the eye if you can. If you leave a small tag of line when tying the hook on, this acts as an extra 'barb' to keep the worm well up the hook.
Tight Lines!

The bad one

Reaction score
Toughen the worms up (lobs) in acid soil peat for 24-36 hours. Hook them in the middle but not the saddle and nip a red maggot on after the worm. Simple and works for me. Much prefer Dendros to lobs and day of the week, the stay alive much longer than lobs.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A small section of elastic band pulled over the hookpoint will keep a worm on even a barbless hook. Simple.

laguna

Reaction score
Use a dead worm.
Pull the head off and hook it right at the broken end where the juices ooze then hook the body through the saddle - awesome perch bait!

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 ----------

Ps. Do you really target bream??? :eek: :p

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When we used to fish those big festivals in Denmark the Bream were always the target species for the big winning weights.

Worm tipped with either a red maggot or as I found better still, tipped with half a Caster . . . . . . . usually did the trick.

On occassion though a worm and corn "cocktail" would be the favoured combination.

Last edited:

Terry D

Reaction score
Nick the hook through the worm and slide the worm up the line by about 2 inches. Pass the hook back through the worm and then add a small shot to the line about an inch or so above the hook. The worm will then be retained by the shot on the line and it's held in 2 places so should really stay put.

john step

Reaction score
1. If you want to use the worm directly on the hook secure it with a plastic maggot which grips better than a real one.
2. Better still hair rig them by using one of those Korum plastic bait spike things that you push through with a pointed tool.

You will be amazed the difference this makes and you get violent bites even from roach which love big worms rigged this way.No need to use tiny hooks and gossamer tackle when hair rigging worms for roach or other species.

caelan

Reaction score
push a bait stop through the worm with your needle they stay on even with a heavy cast give it a go I also target bream LOL MARTIN/CAELAN

bracket

Reaction score
Something I should not admit to, but here goes. Back in the good old Winter League days, when the Trent was bank high and coloured, a lob worm nailed to the deck, for chub, was the best chance of putting something on the pan at the end of the match. You were only likely to get two or three bites during a match so you had to get them out . I used a similar method to Terry D, but minus the shot and with a second hook tied 3 inch above the first. Threaded the worm as described, but double hooked. I never lost a a worm or a chub. Strictly illegal though. It's amazing how you will prostitute your integrity for a few team points. I'll never get to Heaven. Pete.

sumtime

Reaction score
Something I should not admit to, but here goes. Back in the good old Winter League days, when the Trent was bank high and coloured, a lob worm nailed to the deck, for chub, was the best chance of putting something on the pan at the end of the match. You were only likely to get two or three bites during a match so you had to get them out . I used a similar method to Terry D, but minus the shot and with a second hook tied 3 inch above the first. Threaded the worm as described, but double hooked. I never lost a a worm or a chub. Strictly illegal though. It's amazing how you will prostitute your integrity for a few team points. I'll never get to Heaven. Pete.

In sea angling, a pennel rig, eh?

john step

Reaction score
push a bait stop through the worm with your needle they stay on even with a heavy cast give it a go I also target bream LOL MARTIN/CAELAN

Thats what I was referring to by saying "one of those Korum things you push through on a spike "