stripping line from a reel to reuse

fishperch

Reaction score
brought a big pit reel today and I got around 90% of the way to filling up my spool and the line had run out :( is there any way i can put the line back onto the spool the line is suplied on without creating excess twist as i would like to pack my reels spool and then spool up. i dont wanna have to buy more line as it's never been used before, I have filled up my reels with the same line from the pack before and they are all working fine. i do not have a line spooling station

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't help you with this problem but for future reference I only ever change the first 100 yards of my line (not a long caster) but do it fairly regularly, every 10 or so trips, It works for me and certainly cuts down the cost.

retrobob

Reaction score
Put it on to another reel, reel to reel style. Then put backing line (old or cheap) on your first one and put the new stuff back on top.

law

Reaction score
I only ever change the first 100 yards of my line (not a long caster) but do it fairly regularly, every 10 or so trips,

:eek::eek::eek:
Ill go 10 times in a couple of weeks in the summer.
That's nuts. I put it on the scales every few months and if it still breaks at its stated strain, or above, I'll carry on using it. If not, I'll change it, or if the line drops well below the lip.
I changed some Drennan Soecamin that I put on the spool around 6 years ago last week. It broke just under the 5lb stated.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:
Ill go 10 times in a couple of weeks in the summer.
That's nuts. I put it on the scales every few months and if it still breaks at its stated strain, or above, I'll carry on using it. If not, I'll change it, or if the line drops well below the lip.
I changed some Drennan Soecamin that I put on the spool around 6 years ago last week. It broke just under the 5lb stated.

It's not the breaking strain which is the problem it's the fact that I loose the first 3 or 4 yards after every trip due to the wear and tear which feeder fishing and casting every 10 to 15 minutes on a river inevitably causes.
I like to fish with my line just below the lip of the spool so after about 10 trips I have lost 30 to 40 yards and I'm getting close to hitting the knot on the cast so it's time to change it.
Changing the first 100 yards also takes out any twist which inevitably builds up when you play fish off the clutch and is the usual cause of those frustrating tip wraps which we all suffer while rebaiting.
I buy bulk spools of whatever is on special offer and it works out at less than the price of a gallon of diesel, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

john step

Reaction score
I read about this line twist solution some time ago and found it works for me.

Find an area of long grass. Lay the rod down with the bail arm open and walk the end of the line (with nothing attached) for as long as the spool holds or at least 100yds.

Go back to the rod and wind in. (put a enough pressure by hand to get firm line lay)
The line going through the long grass pulls out the twists. Simples.

caelan

Reaction score
yer it works for me as well put it on the drill chuck it will take it of as quick as you will let give it a go martin/caelan

law

Reaction score
I read about this line twist solution some time ago and found it works for me.

Find an area of long grass. Lay the rod down with the bail arm open and walk the end of the line (with nothing attached) for as long as the spool holds or at least 100yds.

Go back to the rod and wind in. (put a enough pressure by hand to get firm line lay)
The line going through the long grass pulls out the twists. Simples.

Or buy a twist buster. Only a couple of quid.