angling direct

caelan

Reaction score
do any of you tanglers use angling direct in store not the on line stuff
as when we go the racks of stuff are all most empty I cant see the point of a massive warehouse an no stock to sell all you get told is check the web site
before your visit why martin/caelan

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Maybe they got a good deal on the place as the beginning of the recession(s) and are hanging on, waiting for the good times to return?
Stock is a bit expensive to have hanging around just to make the place look more "Lived-in", no?

Wasn't going there out of sympathy for Abbey Baits, whose maggots nabbed me a nine-pound bream a few yards from their shop, but now they've closed, I s'pose I might have a sniff round some day. But I'll check the website first - thanks for the heads-up!

Reaction score
I won't use the place.

Used in on line a couple if times. They are happy to take orders for items that they do not have in stock (but show they are) with a delivery date of some time never.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is Angling Direct a single entity with multiple retail outlets, or is it a kind of co-operative buying group of otherwise independant retailers with a single large warehouse/Internet outlet at the core? I was under the distinct impression it was the latter, explaining the surprisingly small shops with little stock quite nicely.

Sometimes, all is not what it seems in the tackle game.

lureed

Reaction score
Have used them online quite successfully, but when I visit the shop (in Waltham Abbey) they seem more interested in chatting to their mates about their last fishing trip than serving you.

Re Alan Tyler's post referencing Abbey Baits, looks like they will be opening a new shop soon according to this: Abbey Tackle

floatfish

Reaction score
Angling Direct are like a lot of on line shops, reliant on the manufacturers main distributors delivering pre ordered stock on time. As most of this comes from the far east, any delay in shipment caused huge stock gaps.People order for what is an expected delivery and it fails to turn up . So you have to wait for next delivery ,could be several weeks allowing for transit time Far East to UK.
I wanted a Diawa rod a year or so ago, they could not get them from Diawa as there were none shipped. Ended up with a far better quality one for the same money. So it worked out well in the end.
It's all part of not having thing made in UK anymore.

caelan

Reaction score
floatfish you are spot on that is what we were told huge backlog waiting on shipment from the far east martin/caelan

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
One of the problems with a lot of tackle shops is cash turnover and orders..... a lot of manufacturers are struggling to get their money from cash strapped shops, so withhold deliveries till the last bill is paid...

This means large swathes of empty shelves and no stock... what pee's me off also, is the way Angling Direct charge you postage at an exorbitant rate for small items if it has to be bought in... (a top two.... at £29.99... plus £15 postage is taking the p*ss)

They also have a rep for taking orders and not delivering as has already been mentioned... It's happened to me a couple of times... Another little (shall we say sideline) is charging a higher price in the shop, than their own online prices.... quote their online price if there's summat you are after.....

Do your homework before you buy... and they also price match other outlets as long as the item is in stock at other shops, if you have a club ticket they do a discount as well (about 8%) (in the Chelmsford branch anyway)

Lots of dealers have their own little quirks and foibles... once you get to know them, they are easy to avoid and get a deal.... Angling Direct are not alone in their "Little Ways"

floatfish

Reaction score
floatfish you are spot on that is what we were told huge backlog waiting on shipment from the far east martin/caelan

That seems to be a regular happening , they always seem to sell out and are awaiting new deliveries. Probably down to production delays and a keen price with their suppliers.On checking the website the number of out of stock items tells the story.