any advice

wabbity

Reaction score
I am a member of a local angling club and one of the waters is rarely fished, its a long haul to get to. It has 3 large lily pads and over half the rest of it is covered in a weed that has small elongated leaves and lots of stems going down to the bed of the lake. It is surrounded by trees and the water is very black. We have seen good size fish rolling and feeding during our reckies the last few months. A couple of days ago we (me and oldest son) cleared a few swims of weeds.

Tomorrow we are going to fish it. Any tips or ideas for approaching this waterwould be greatly appreciated.

wabbit

wabbity

Reaction score
James, you can do nowt else but walk slowely its through the forest/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Neil, sorry forgot to say we have pre-baited the cleared swims.

wabbit

wabbity

Reaction score
due to the water being black, will the colour of the hook bait make a difference?

wabbit

james j

Reaction score
Todmorden.Its in Yorkshire not Lancashire.
Wabbit

My local club has a pond which is full of the wed you describe and also some very large fish.The problem is you want to fish light enough to get the bites,but heavy enough to get them on the bank. It maybe a case of waiting for that one bite,which could be a PB or a tiddler.

Have you thought about rsking the swims wider,so it gives you more area to play a fish in?

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
maybe corn or something smelly /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif. What have you pre-baited with?

wabbity

Reaction score
James, thats how we cleared the swims and either side with a rake, then we found a branch with some smaller branches on the end and we threw out the branch then twisted it over and over then dragged it out and got loads of the weed stuff out.

we prebaited with maize and hemp with added spices/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

wabbit

W

Wolfman Woody

Does this look like your weed?
floatingleavedpondweed.jpg

That picture is of a very bad case, I must admit, but you have to cut the weed right at the bottom and keep it cut.

I acquired a small pond for our club, at first it was clear and then this stuff appeared and choked it. One of the members made up a 3 feet steel bar and sharpened the edges on both sides except for the middle bit. Some holes were drilled in the middle and ropes attached.

Two people stood on one side of the pond and two on the other and we pulled it backwards and forwards for a full morning. It cut through most of it, but some did come back and I got that. The pond was 5 feet deep in the middle, but most of the surrounding bits were 4 feet so I donned some chest waders and went out with an old landing net handle and a double sided weed cutter you get from the tackle shops.

It took ages, but we managed to control it in the end.

And then some daft pratt planted some miniature leaved water lily in it that spreads like wildfire.

W

Wolfman Woody

If it's this sort
persicaria_amphibia_bf4.jpg

It's amphibious bistort and not so much a problem in deeper water.

Gardeners/pond keepers say it only grows in the margins up to 1 foot deep, but you see it in lake margins that are up to 2 and 3 feet deep. However, that seems to be its limit and the deep parts of the pond will remain free.

If the pond is only 2-3 feet all over and the bistort has taken over then you will need to rip out the roots. That's tricky, but with only 3 feet of water, you can at least get in there with waders and rip it out by hand. Takes some tugging mind.

Once you cleared either weed, the fishing should be good and not much pre-baiting should be needed. In the case of the aforementioned pond I cleared, I could go up there with a light whip and a tub of small pellets and catch 30 or 40 fish in just two hours.

wabbity

Reaction score
woody, its the one in the first pic and its 3/4 of the lake and as thick as the pic you posted. Its very deep in the middle as well. Ho hum! looks like we have our work cut out. This lake, because of the access is always the bottom of the clubs prioritys.

wabbit

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
sounds like a good opportunity to keep it to yourselves, just drag a few swims, off the beaten track, keep the feed going in, and pay the odd visit to reap the rewards /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

wabbity

Reaction score
thats the plan neil/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

wabbit

W

Wolfman Woody

Wabbity,

I'm sure if the club contacted their local EA fisheries team they would be happy to advise on chemicals to rid the lake of much of this stuff. Floating pond weed is one of the most aggressive of floating weeds (apart from aforementioned miniature lily.

One cure (check with them as not all EA teams approve) is using a glyphosate product such as Roundup. It has a very low toxicity level usually nutralised whe it hits water. However, if sprayed on the leaves the plants will usually die back including roots within 7 days.

DO CHECK THOUGH and don't just use it!

Mike Wyton

Reaction score
Yep roundup is neutralised as soon as it hits water /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Good luck Wabbity!

Rgds,

Mike W

wabbity

Reaction score
thanks guys your stars, but please read my thread dead lake/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

wabbit