injured on the bank

caelan

Reaction score
just putting a few bits together for fishing tomorrow with me grandson
if its not to cold put me hand in me tackle bag an bingo hook went in to finger
why I left that out last time who knows But the worst one I was fishing in Ireland and about to cast me feeder an a wasp was flapping around my face
I went to swat it an bang I hit the end rig an the hook went right up to the eye
on my index finger as much as I could wiggle it about I had to ask my brother
to tug it out with his forcepts whhhoo that hurt any one out there done any thing silly LOL MARTIN/CAELAN

smudger172

Reaction score
Once piking on a very very private syndicate water as a guest. Out on the boat before dawn the float slides away and a very angry upper double comes to the boat reach down to chin her out and she gives a big head shake. Result a size 4 treble up to the bend in my thumb and it has to be the barbed hook... Fish on until dusk and a trip to the hospital where i am met with you now know how the fish feels................:(

caelan

Reaction score
nice one smudger174 them hook do HOLD on lol

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

nice one smudger172 them hook do HOLD on lol

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Far too many if i'm honest. Badly sprained ankle when the bank collapsed under me whilst luring on the Trent. Broken fingers as a result of my mate letting go of a ''kissing gate'' before I was through, again on the Trent. Endless hook punctures, not funny when the hooks in question are 03 trebles. Plus plenty of stitches from a variety of mishaps.

It got so bad that the missus used to greet me on arriving home with the classic, ''well what have you injured today''. Fortunately that's all some time ago now, and I've been injury free for some time, whoops, I've done it now.

Lark

Reaction score
Maver Jurassic pole float through the palm of my hand.
Pulling for a break in shallow water..... Silly boy! (I've never claimed to be bright)
Still see small flakes of black paint just under the surface of the skin.
That did 'smart' a bit though.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was in my bivvy one night changing into my pyjamas when I slipped on some spilt lager and fell backwards onto my bagging waggler...

image18.jpg

I tugged and jerked it around but it was stuck...I called a ambulance.
Next thing I remember is waking up in hospital. I think someone had just told a joke as the nurses were all giggling or shaking their heads in disbelief....

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Have only injured my pride but the following incident still makes one of my oldest friends laugh.

I was fishing (the stick float) on the River Dane in Cheshire when I moved right up to the water's edge. A crack then appeared in the ground and, earthquake-like, spread behind me turning my little piece of England into a small island which then proceeded to float out into the river, taking me with it, for two or three seconds.

According to Neil, I looked down, saw the crack, looked up and looked at Neil looking exactly like Wile E Coyote as he goes over a cliff edge, with his sign saying "Help".

My look of acceptance of (but not happiness at) the forthcoming dunking was a picture, apparently. I just managed to throw the rod onto the bank before vanishing like the Bismarck.

To finish off this joyous experience, I emerged to find Neil paralytic with laughter and a concerned dog walker lady holding out a handkerchief she thought might help.

I somehow kept my reply polite.....:)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Whilst young a small hook on to line I bent to put some spit on the knot and somehow goths hook in my lip

After a few minutes trying to get a grip on the hook and failing I nipped back to the car and using the rear view mirror I did remove the hook

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I well remember the story that was told on here several years ago, of 'someone's' friend who cast out and embedded a barbed treble hook into their scalp, unable to get it out, they took him to the local hospital, unfortunately, on the journey, one of the other barbs became stuck in the car roof fabric, so they arrived at hospital and had to get the medical staff to go onto the car park to see to him.

As above, someone must have told a joke as the medical staff were giggling.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I may have told this one before but on a work party we were lying on the bank in sheep/deer country when one of the guys who was a nurse told the story of an angler who turned up in A&E complaining of a problem with his old chap. Apparently he did a lot of overnighters but didn't use a bivvy, preferring to sleep on the bank. On closer examination said problem turned out to be a rather large deer tick dug in under his foreskin.

You've never seen a dozen blokes stand up so quickly !

Keith M

Reaction score
I hooked myself in my top lip with a size 4 barbed hook after gripping the hook in my teeth and pulling on the line to test the knot.

I had to snip the hook with some small wire cutters to get it out.
I still have a small lump inside my lip.

I was in my bivvy one night changing into my pyjamas when I slipped on some spilt lager and fell backwards onto my bagging waggler...

Oh yea, slipped on some spilt lager? I believe you Peter, you kinky devil LOL ;):)

Only kidding LOL :)

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have told this tale before but, I think its worth repeating as a warning.
Bumped into a bloke once who I vaguely knew and his hand was the size of a melon, really-no BS. He fished on the local pier and wore old woolen gloves that he never washed. A hook had gone in and he removed it, no problem except it had taken in some dirty fiber covered in probably some old bit of rotten lug worm or something and a couple of days after he was having big problems. It had become quite serious and the medics were trying to stop the infection spreading and he was at risk of losing a hand.

Just thought I would put my old nanny hat on and put it in. If you wear gloves and get a hook stuck through, don't mess about, go to the hospital. Wash your gloves between sessions as well. I occasional wear mittens in the cold weather and it could could happen for coarse fishing. A microscopic bit of old rotten luncheon meat or maggot etc. carried in with a hook stuck in the hand. You never know, play safe.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Many years ago a good friend of mine was fishing a local water with a couple of his m8's, his brother and their girlfriends. My friends brother was casting out a jointed lure with his girlfriend sat behind him chatting. Unfortunatly when he threw the lure behind him and then cast out a set of the trebles embedded into one of his girlfriends eyes...wasn't a good outcome unfortunatly.
Makes you realise why fly anglers tend to wear sun glasses / glasses a lot of the time !

edsurf

Reaction score
Getting my young sons rig out of a tree many years ago, when he pulls it free lodging a very sharp barbed hook into my thumb, had to be cut and removed in hospital, they pumped up my thumb so it went numb cut off the barb and pulled the rest through. He hooked a swan on the Avon the following week, happy days.