Knee protection

benny samways

Reaction score
Any one use knee pads when fishing?

I am always on my knees when fishing, tying rigs, watching the tip when roving etc etc

I am pretty sure it is knackering my knees (34 now so over 20 years of doing it) and as well as a trip to the doctors I'm thinking of getting knee pads as I just cant kick the habit of doing everything kneeling down.

Weird one I know and a bit daft but what else are forums for?

ATB
Benny

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not daft at all in my opinion, I have often looked at the trousers which are sold to builders with pockets in the knee area for pads and thought they are a good idea, I just forget to look for them when I get home.
How long before one of the mainstream suppliers picks up on this one?

Here we go, and available in bottle green.

http://www.internet-workwear.co.uk/...et-S887.html?gclid=CO7pkMigt8QCFQITwwodlD0A7A

nicepix

Reaction score
I spend quite a bit of time on my knees when mole trapping. I've got several pairs of ****ies Workwear trousers with knee pockets for foam pads. The Redhawk trousers are very well made out of strong material and are currently about twenty quid (don't get mixed up with the cheaper Redhawks with no knee pockets). They are quite thorn resistant too. I also got three pairs of camo' trousers with knee pockets that were being sold off at £12.50 a pair, but they are all gone now.

I find them a lot better for kneeling on than not having knee pads.

(If you are looking at ****ies stuff I can also recommend the Raintite jacket and trousers.)

peterjg

Reaction score
I always wear knee pads when asking the wife if I can go fishing.

flightliner

Reaction score
After years of jogging my knees are a bit dodgy on the odd occasion so I buy the neoprene knee supports from poundland, theyre very good and also warm and waterproof so over the last two or three winters have been wearing a pair under my army trews , those cold damp knees are now forgotton and its surprising how even kneeling on the rock lined Trent is so much easier.
very durable and long lasting too.

greenie62

Reaction score
...I am always on my knees when fishing, tying rigs, watching the tip when roving etc etc

I am pretty sure it is knackering my knees (34 now so over 20 years of doing it) and as well as a trip to the doctors I'm thinking of getting knee pads as I just cant kick the habit of doing everything kneeling down....

Stop being so tight Benny and go and buy a roving chair! Adopt the habit of sitting down instead of kneeling - after all what do you think your a*se is for?!:eek:
At least the subsequent back pains will stop you thinking about your knees too much! :eek::D:eek:mg:
Tight Lines:thumbs:

nicepix

Reaction score
Stop being so tight Benny and go and buy a roving chair! Adopt the habit of sitting down instead of kneeling - after all what do you think your a*se is for?!:eek:
At least the subsequent back pains will stop you thinking about your knees too much! :eek::D:eek:mg:
Tight Lines:thumbs:

I'm never without my roving chair.

img_1239_edited1_mid.jpg

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Knees are a subject dear to my heart... mine are totally fecked... had the right rebuilt 3 times and staring down the barrel of a fourth and possibly a steel one at some point.... Wearing neoprene sleeves is okay in the short term, but long term they will cause sweating and muscle wastage....

Use simple tubegrip for support if you need it long term... Some ****ies trousers have built in knee-pad pockets and the pads are available from Screwfix IIRC...

I would avoid spending too much time on your knees as you can inflame the joint to such a degree that Bursitis sets in.... this is a highly painful infection of the joint fluid that if not treated rots the knee joint..... I copped a nasty case of it after putting down a laminated floor over two days..... it's bloody painful and you have to stay off your feet till the infection clears up... so no fishing:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
A2S, interesting point you make about the neoprene jobbies. Is it medical fact because if it is I'll reconsider my using them ??.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
+1 for neoprene suppoerts as Flightliner suggests.
Also those hard-ish foam kneeler mats sold to gardeners, about an inch thick, weigh b-all, you can kneel on them or use them as cushions; I usually carry two, plus one or two slices of soft foam, so I can make a combi-sandwich of whatever thickness I want.

nicepix

Reaction score
+1 for neoprene suppoerts as Flightliner suggests.
Also those hard-ish foam kneeler mats sold to gardeners, about an inch thick, weigh b-all, you can kneel on them or use them as cushions; I usually carry two, plus one or two slices of soft foam, so I can make a combi-sandwich of whatever thickness I want.

I've also got one of those gardener's kneeling pads in a fishing bag for when I have a walk along the river. They also make good hook length retainers. All you need are some pins with large heads.

terry m

Reaction score
Like others I suffer from kneeling, especially on hard surfaces. The trusty unhooking mat serves as a kneeling pad usually.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
A2S, interesting point you make about the neoprene jobbies. Is it medical fact because if it is I'll reconsider my using them ??.

Tis a direct quote from the consultant who did my last 3 operations.... you need muscle around the knee joint to aid joint stability, if you wear neoprene all day the joint area sweats and you'll eventually lose muscle tone and mass from around the joint...