Home made boilies

justabitpikey

Reaction score
Evening ladies and gents

I'm thinking of trying to make some of my own boilies. I reckon it's probably quite satisfying to land a fish on a homemade boilie.

My question is what needs to go into a boilie mix apart from the base ingredients, I'm talking about all these powdered betaine and protein mixes that you can buy. Are they key to catching carp or are they just a little bait boost?

Also what flavours would be good to try first? I read something a while ago where a bloke was using fruit smoothies as the main flavouring. Is it really that simple?

Cheers in advance

retrobob

Reaction score
13th May 2014 Angling Times has a good article on this, not sure if you can look at old issues in the app though.

john step

Reaction score
Many people do make their own and must get satisfaction from it. There are videos on the subject on You Tube.
Personally I can't be bothered as the commercial bait makers seem to do a good job at a realistic price leaving me to get satisfaction from the catching.:)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Back in the mists of time I tried making my own baits..... the aggro I caused with SWMBO was enough to put me off any further attempts....

you'll need somewhere where the lass isn't going to complain about the smell, the mess, the inconvenience and anything else she can think of/make up on the spur of the moment...

you'll need some measuring utensils, pipettes, cups, jugs, etc and you'll need a mixing bowl, whisk and a set of scales....

you'll need somewhere dry to store your dry goods/finished baits, preferably a fridge freezer and some plastic tupperware....

by the time you've amassed all the gear, tried umpteen different recipes, explained to the missus that you still love her and you are not hiding from her in the shed and the smell of tutti-frutti isn't "some tart from the boozer's perfume", and find you can buy a decent boilie from the local tackle shop....

Will you still wanna give it a go.....???:eek:mg::wh

caelan

Reaction score
been there done that got the T SHIRT as pointed out by the other thread
don't waste time spend it catching its to dear an your kitchen will look like
a battle field an stink martin/caelan

greenie62

Reaction score
May I draw the honourable member from Wigan's attention to the link below:p:wh:D:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

May I thank the Right Honorable Member for the former End of the Line - for his cogent explanation of the 2Sheds name - I'll try not to mention it again - unless I can gain comical advantage or at least a smirk - unless, of course, they're No Smirking sheds! :eek::p:D:eek:mg:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I must inform the Right Honourable gentleman from the Pier Locale that I'm a non-smirker....:p I must also point out that saying "Smirker" makes me sound like an inhabitant of Newcastle talking about his "Tabs" :D:wh:p

alsoran

Reaction score
Whilst at one time making your own boilies was a good idea, even more so if 3 or 4 of you got together and made very large batches together.
To-day forget it, you can't roll enough on your own to get one up on other anglers by persuading the carp that it's your boilie and only yours they want.
Your time would be better spent working out what other bait you can use in bulk to get you ahead of the game on the water/waters you fish.

Add that to the fact you will end up spending more time rolling bait then fishing it's a big no no, then there is her that must be obeyed:wh

Just my opinion fella and yes I have been there and done it.

john step

Reaction score
Evening ladies and gents

I'm thinking of trying to make some of my own boilies. I reckon it's probably quite satisfying to land a fish on a homemade boilie.

My question is what needs to go into a boilie mix apart from the base ingredients, I'm talking about all these powdered betaine and protein mixes that you can buy. Are they key to catching carp or are they just a little bait boost?

Also what flavours would be good to try first? I read something a while ago where a bloke was using fruit smoothies as the main flavouring. Is it really that simple?

Cheers in advance

Now.....after reading all the following replies about making your own are you still going to punish yourself???:eek::eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
.....saying "Smirker" makes me sound like an inhabitant of Newcastle talking about his "Tabs"

The Right Honourable members from the Nottingham area may well be able to confirm that 'tabs' is a local dialect word for 'lug-holes' thereabouts! :rolleyes::D:eek:mg:

carperjake

Reaction score
Having made my own for years I can confirm that it's very fulfilling to catch on a bait you made yourself from scratch. I made a very good base mix with a combination of 2 fishmeals (White fishmeal and pre-digested), seed mix (SLUIS CLO), milk powder (lamlac), robin red, garlic granules, seaweed powder, amchoor powder, maize flour and some other bits an bobs. As for flavours, I just used standard flavours from tackle shops as I couldn't find anything that really worked as well as monster crab and n-butyric.

I would make a binfull in an evening then 3 of us would roll it the next day, we would comfortably roll 40kg in a day, it was hard work drying it all but great fun once we got a rhythm going. Applying a good quantity of a good bait made a real difference and we all caught really well on the syndicate we used it on.

athomas

Reaction score
I've just made my first batch using Julian Cundif's youtube recipe.
I've gone for a big fish mix,salmon oil,sweet cajouser,cranberry and nutramino.
For a first attempt they look alrite and smell wonderfull.

I've also done some pop ups and added a few more drops of cranberry to some hook bait in an attempt to make them even more irresistable.

I'm expecting the fish to throw themselfs on the hook lol
The whole lot cost nearly £50 and I'll let you know roughly what each batch costs,and more importantly how I get on.

I've tied my own flies for years and reload my own ammunition so why not.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have made ultra posh and expensive oldschool milk protein mixes in the past and found them to be no more effective at all than a good readymade

the trick is to care for your bait properly and 'pimp' it

I will douse my bait in a good liquid and add attraction and look after it very well and never use old bait

That's why I use Dynamite, because they put best before dates on it
This is not a plug at all, very old protein, eggs, and especially particle flours etc. are not only ineffective but very dangerous aquatically

Just keep things simple and buy good ready made bait is my advice rather than muck about messing the kitchen up getting confused as hell

If you are worried about the price then you are using far too much. My fishing improved dramatically when I learnt to let other morons fill the lake in with cash and just use half a dozen fresh baits per take if that :)