caelan

Reaction score
HI TANGLERS
don't forget this weekend to put you clocks on one hour if you are meeting up
for fishing a match/pleasure or you will be hanging around on some corner
waiting for your lift to turn up LOL

bracket

Reaction score
I have never understood why they mess around with the time. As far as I am aware there are only a set number of daylight hours in each day, regardless of what the hands on the clock say, yet every year we are put through this nonsensical routine. Pete

john step

Reaction score
I seem to recall they decided to experiment (in the 70's ??) and not do this. I think they called it British Standard Time. It wasn't popular with the people who make a noise in the press etc.
It was changed back.
For the life of I can't see why it continues apart from the fact that the rest of Europe does it. I think it started in WW2.
Don't tell em Pike.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... I think it started in WW2...

It started in WWI, John - in an effort to get the workers up earlier and making more munitions to kill Germans - who coincidently had brought the same measure in a month or two earlier! :eek:mg:

bracket

Reaction score
It started in WWI, John - in an effort to get the workers up earlier and making more munitions to kill Germans - who coincidently had brought the same measure in a month or two earlier! :eek:mg:

That was my understanding too, so why did they not just get them up earlier and belay frigging about with the clocks? Pete.

greenie62

Reaction score
That was my understanding too, so why did they not just get them up earlier and belay frigging about with the clocks? ...

Pete, we're talking fiercely independant Brits here - who won't do anything unless it's dictated by law rather than common-sense or consensus - bit like the Close Season innit? :rolleyes::confused::eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score

Do you remember that far back:wh:eek::eek:mg:

terry m

Reaction score
Not sure why, but I had the notion in my head that it was something to do with Jock farmers and light mornings?

:eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
Do you remember that far back:wh:eek::eek:mg:

No! :p But I do remember the almost annual debates about GMT v. BST v. CET and the varying histories being trotted -out ad nauseum.

Terry M is also right when he asks:
Not sure why, but I had the notion in my head that it was something to do with Jock farmers and light mornings?
in that the farming lobby often used to trot this out as being one of the reasons for/against BST, Double BST, not returning to GMT, etc.

The modern myth about aligning us with our European Business friends is also a load of bollx cos they usually start work about an hour earlier than us at 8am CET which strangely enough aligns well with 9am BST - so adopting CET here would guarantee we don't work on the same timescale as them!:eek:mg:

Steven Fry - National Treasure - is doing a programme tomorrow on the Beeb about the hour change - may be amusing and educational!

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
won't make a difference to me..... I work 12 hour shifts and with an hours travelling each way..... for a good part of the year I go to work and come home in the dark.....:(

bracket

Reaction score

:eek:mg:
For Christ Sake please don't bring Farmers into the equation. That will be the Farmers, who get up at the crack of Noon, spend the next three hours filling out their subsidy claims, then three hours driving their trackors at 5mph along the main roads, to frustrate the local motorists, after that, straight in the Pub at 6 o'clock to bemoan how bad done to they are by the Goverment. They say you never see a Farmer riding a bike, if you did it would be a Harley Davidson. What a cossetted group they are. They produce a product nobody wants, at a price nobody wants to pay, then say "Look Mr Goverment I can't make a profit, you will have to give me financial help. No other industry would ever get the protection they get, they would go, and have, to the wall first. Before any one contests what I said, please be aware I live in a rural area and see this first hand. Farmers , salt of the earth, complete Bollox Pete.

B

binka

My favourite time of the year is when the clocks go forward and you're moving into Spring knowing that you've got the entire Summer ahead, I can get so much more done outside in the evenings.

Best hours sleep I never had, I just wish they'd leave the damn things alone after that.

terry m

Reaction score
For Christ Sake please don't bring Farmers into the equation. That will be the Farmers, who get up at the crack of Noon, spend the next three hours filling out their subsidy claims, then three hours driving their trackors at 5mph along the main roads, to frustrate the local motorists, after that, straight in the Pub at 6 o'clock to bemoan how bad done to they are by the Goverment. They say you never see a Farmer riding a bike, if you did it would be a Harley Davidson. What a cossetted group they are. They produce a product nobody wants, at a price nobody wants to pay, then say "Look Mr Goverment I can't make a profit, you will have to give me financial help. No other industry would ever get the protection they get, they would go, and have, to the wall first. Before any one contests what I said, please be aware I live in a rural area and see this first hand. Farmers , salt of the earth, complete Bollox Pete.

I guess we hail from similar parts of the country, your area must be inhabited by the Lesser Spotted Benefits Farmer, I am told they are an invasive species.

Thankfully they have not reached my part of the New Forest yet.

john step

Reaction score

At the point of prolonging this riveting and enthralling subject....the fact I was half remembering ......1940 Autumn the clocks didn't go back making it DOUBLE summertime. Not a lot of people Know that.:eek:mg:......You can tell I am getting bored not having been able to go fishing for a day or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
B

binka

I was walking a track through farmland a few weeks ago and I could tell the farmer was minted as his scarecrow was wearing a better jumper than me…

Until the way back ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The time change was bought in so the farmers could get their crops in during daylight hours...nothing to do with munitions!

B

binka

And nicked the jumper???????????

It happens all the time with me John, it's a kind of compulsion and I've been asbo'd three times now after getting caught wedged in the slots of those clothes banks you see in the corners of supermarket car parks... A scarecrow just represents such easy pickings.

This one used to have a perfectly usable pair of wellies...

The above may not be very true at all (it's four asbo's!) :D :D :D