What are the odds?

sagalout

Reaction score
This morning was fishing a sleeper on the bleeper to the point of an island on my right and waggler at about 5m directly in front of me. The beeper goes of and I'm in, luvly jubbly, at the net the mainline snaps above a grippa stop that I use to make sure the flying back lead is at least 2 feet from the main lead. Dash it I thought.

Re-rigged the sleeper rod, cast it out and put it down on bleeper. Picked up the waggler rod and cast it out. With in 15 seconds of the bait settling the float dips, I strike and I'm in to what feels like a carp. Get the fish in the net and it's the one I lost not 10 minutes before with all me tackle hanging out of it's mouth.

Close inspection of the broken line end showed it to be coiled up above the grippa stop so I think it was damaged by the flying back lead. I have seen these ones I use (Preston) damage the line before, it seems to get caught up between the lead and plastic insert gismo. In future I shall just mould some tungsten putty round the grippa stop.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you're competent on the waggler why have a sleeper rod at all?.
Much more skill involved and far more enjoyable IMO....

barbelboi

Reaction score
Saggy, like Simon I prefer to fish one rod in most instances (as I'm usually on a river) but, when using a lead and flying back leads, I've always used the Fox flyers for many years and they have always behaved themselves - i.e. they will always fly back down the main line as desired and I have never been aware of any damage to the line ...

sagalout

Reaction score
why have a sleeper rod at all
I like the added chance that two rods give, sometimes I have much better success on the sleeper so I put the waggler away and put two leads out. Just the way I are.

I go to one rod on the very rare occasions the fishing is prolific, but at this time of year on our club waters it is pretty slow, like yesterday, I had three tench, one carp, a bream/roach hybrid of about three pounds and half a dozen 2oz roach. All but the roach and the second hooking of the carp came on the lead, probably because I can get the lead tight to the island.

Where I am going this morning it is up to 18ft deep so I will have a lead out there and a waggler in the margins. Hopefully a mixture of good perch, tench and carp will grace the net.

law

Reaction score
If you're competent on the waggler why have a sleeper rod at all?.

For a chance of a bonus fish?
If youre fishing commies, its pointless, but anywhere that isnt overstocked with little carp, who knows what will come to it. A nice bonus tench or something.

sagalout

Reaction score
Hopefully a mixture of good perch, tench and carp will grace the net.
The best laid plans of mice and men..... The sleeper rod never twitched an eyelid, just laid there sleepy as a bucket full of sleepy things from the planet sleepy. The waggler produced about twenty roach from 4-8oz, well pleased except I couldn't get the roach to settle, I'd catch two or three then a half hour later another 2 or 3. I tried cutting the feed, upping the feed, not looking at the float, etc. But it was very nice had the lake to meself even the geese (canadus bloodius hooliganus) only showed up briefly had a quick fight and peased of.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Oh yeah, that tungsten putty is fatally flawed, roll it till it warms and is malleable, yeah right at 0600 hours on frosty morning it ain't gonna happen. Back to the drawing board.

john step

Reaction score
I don't use flying backleads just the ones you hook on and slide down the line on stillwaters.
They kept coming apart and at a quid or so a time I had to do something.
Now I carry some paper clips and old nuts. I tie the nut on a tail hanging an inch or two below the paper clip with light line.
Just open the clip a bit and it slides down easily. Its never damaged the line and if caught up breaks away easily due to the weak line/link.

sagalout

Reaction score
Damn fine idea there John, I think I am going to pinch a swan shot onto a bit of wire, open it up, put a grippa stop on the line and then put the swan shot above it. I don't cast far and only want to pin down about two feet behind the lead. I might look at some of the tungsten grippa stop type thingy ma gigs.

benny samways

Reaction score
The best laid plans of mice and men..... The sleeper rod never twitched an eyelid, just laid there sleepy as a bucket full of sleepy things from the planet sleepy. The waggler produced about twenty roach from 4-8oz, well pleased except I couldn't get the roach to settle, I'd catch two or three then a half hour later another 2 or 3. I tried cutting the feed, upping the feed, not looking at the float, etc. But it was very nice had the lake to meself even the geese (canadus bloodius hooliganus) only showed up briefly had a quick fight and peased of.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Oh yeah, that tungsten putty is fatally flawed, roll it till it warms and is malleable, yeah right at 0600 hours on frosty morning it ain't gonna happen. Back to the drawing board.

Just keep pulling it apart if you cant get it maleable enough by rolling it. I nearly always use the pulling apart technique, works all winter long.

---
I know your not meant to endorse such things but kordas flying backlead set up is bob on and doesnt tangle around grippa/float stops.

sagalout

Reaction score
I know your not meant to endorse such things but kordas flying backlead set up is bob on and doesnt tangle around grippa/float stops.
I dont think it tangled on the grippa stop, I think it catches/tangles on the plastic insert. A straight forward simple flying back lead wont work for me because I often just under arm lob or drop it in the margin. I could use a grippa stop and an olivette.

terry m

Reaction score
Just keep pulling it apart if you cant get it maleable enough by rolling it. I nearly always use the pulling apart technique, works all winter long.

---

Agree, I think that the Korda flying BL's are the best available.