High winds and rain

denzinho

Reaction score
I think this is going to be the first weekend in a long while (over a year easy) that I'm not going fishing due to the weather. Reason being is because the Rivers are closed which would be my first point of call and the local still waters seem to turn everything off in these conditions.

I don't know how the weather on the weekend affects you guys but what you going for this weekend?

Looking for inspiration :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
At least we've got rid of last weeks Easterly and North East winds. It's swung round to Westerlies and temperatures should be higher, albeit unsettled.
I'm out Saturday and Sunday regardless....

Chefster

Reaction score
I fished today in what can only be described as an endurance test,gruelling weather conditions,and freezing cold,at Toft carp lake,possibly the windiest venue on the planet!!,6 carp for 27-0-0,....125-0-0 won,81-0-0 2nd,52-0-0 3rd....i didnt enjoy it one bit!!,luckily i,m working the w/end:D,and 2 matches at Tunnel Barn Farm next week,tues and thurs..Gazza

slaphead

Reaction score
No fishing for me this weekend, grandkids Saturday, off to the caravan Sunday.

There is fishing on site, so if I'm good........;)

tincatim

Reaction score
I've just got way too much on with work and family to go, looks like I'm not missing much if this wind keeps up. With a bit of luck I'll be out on good Friday, found a nice little pond nearby that looks worth a go.

rubio

Reaction score
I've just got way too much on with work and family to go, looks like I'm not missing much if this wind keeps up. With a bit of luck I'll be out on good Friday, found a nice little pond nearby that looks worth a go.

There's an inspirational idea for ya Denzhino, take a stroll with an ordnance survey map and find a new spot to try.
Might as well take a rod with you.
And a few floats and hooks.
Something to sit on maybe.
And under............

The bad one

Reaction score
What's not to like about the predicted conditions rising air temperature, warmer added water going in of 4f + over what’s been going in, a really good wind to stir it up and add plenty of oxygen. On the waters I fish that all adds up to the fish feeding harder than they will have done all winter.
As Nicepix says bring it on!

So you might get a bit wet, but that goes with the turf of fishing doesn't it?

greenie62

Reaction score
Even better Phil,
Today's forecast is pleasant - upto 9C and a gentle Westerly breeze, dry and cloudy all day - then it goes downhill with winds and rain over the weekend. Get out today - it could be the last nice day for a bit! :cool:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As the old-timers on here already know I chose not to fish at all for Coarse fish during the Close Season.

So, for me this weekend I will venture onto a local trout lake, (less than 3 minutes in the car from my home), for a few hours on Sunday afternoon.

My next Coarse fishing trip will not be until late July or even August, depending on the conditions, so until then it is Trout, Trout and more Trout for me . . . . . . . . .

The only exception might be a weekend after the 16th June to herald in the new season on a local lake that has a good head of Tench and Carp . . . . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looking for inspiration :D[/quote]

I see someone caught their first crucian in the how did you get on thread. Give them a try over the weekend they might just be coming on now with conditions to suit. The air pressures dropping, crucians like that. Plus they will be hungry and wanting to feed up prior to spawning. And the weather should be warmer but it might be a bit windy.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Nah Mike Sunday will do me fine with those conditions. The Meres fish their heads off in them, even during the day and at this time of year for bream and tench.
Years ago when I was chasing big roach on a certain Gorton Reservoir I was blown off work by the very strong winds. So I took the opportunity to go roaching for the afternoon and on arrival the wind gusts were that strong I couldn’t open the car door to get out until there was a lull in the wind, which reached 70 mph during the afternoon according to the weatherman. Settled in the most sheltered bay I could find, which only had a foot and a half rollers on it. First cast and buzzer sounded and the bobbin hit the rod before I’d even set up the second rod. That fish was 1.08 and over the afternoon I took another 5 fish between that weight and 2.01.
Yes I got wet, as they was no way I was even attempting to put the brolly up in those conditions, but I went home a very happy chappy indeed.

I’ve also got my big roach head on for the next month or so, so I’ll be heading for another big reservoir up in them there hills the club has acquired over the last couple of years. Who know it might just produce some of the reputed and mythical big bream that it’s said to hold. ;)

B

binka

It's certainly a bit brisk out there but feels very mild with it, I'm just killing a bit of time before I pick my mate up at 6:30 for a waggler session... I've been as lively as a ruddy cricket from half three this morning :rolleyes:

caelan

Reaction score
not looking to good down south big black clouds an the trees in the garden
are dancing in the wind me I work on the farmers market tomoz so I will be out in it just not fishing

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As the others have said these conditions are great for a bit of fishing but seeing as my rivers are closed I have chosen to catch up on the chores around the garden.
Today the lawn has had its first cut of the year and a light re-seed. The tool shed has been emptied and sorted ready for the new gardening season, all the old chemicals and plant foods have been destroyed in the chimenea and any dodgy tools have been dumped in the boot sale pile.
No rain here in sunny Shropshire just a gusty south westerly to dry the surface of the soil after the lawn was trimmed so it's looking quite good already, all said it was a good day and I think I've earned a beer or two.

nicepix

Reaction score
There's an inspirational idea for ya Denzhino, take a stroll with an ordnance survey map and find a new spot to try.
Might as well take a rod with you.
And a few floats and hooks.
Something to sit on maybe.
And under............

Did that yesterday. On my mole patrol this week I crossed the River Vienne at Moussac so I stopped off on Wednesday and had a look around the stretch and then went back yesterday with rod, line and plummet. I even managed to dunk some luncheon meat for a couple of hours.

The wet weather is set for another few days and it is getting warmer too so I'll be out again either tomorrow or Tuesday.

The bad one

Reaction score
Just to illustrate the point I made about it all adding to fish feeding on the waters I fish. A mate phoned me this afternoon to report what he was catching… twice! He’d had the first time two tench. Second call a carp mid double. Told him don’t phone me again if you’re going to tell me you had more carp, don’t want to know! He’s not, so I must assume he’s caught more carp or he’s had nothing else.:D

retrobob

Reaction score
I fished today and caught loads, roach, 3 big perch and a 15lb mirror - it was ridiculously windy, I have never fished in such conditions before but I had a mate visiting and we had been planning on fishing for ages so we were going whatever.

I set my oval up to shelter my from the wind had it pegged down... and the wind totally destroyed it (Fox Oval Plus).

Steve2020

Reaction score
It's gotta be extremely bad weather to put me off mi fav hobby. Went out Saturday in fairly bad conditions, lots of rain but not too heavy, the wind was strong but it didn't stop me bagging up on bream :)

dangermouse

Reaction score
It's gotta be extremely bad weather to put me off mi fav hobby. Went out Saturday in fairly bad conditions, lots of rain but not too heavy, the wind was strong but it didn't stop me bagging up on bream :)

Wind, rain and bream... you really are a masochist ;)