Reaction score
hi all
when you are making plans for a day out fishing make sure you have filled
your tank the days before because if you leave it till the day your going
to fish the smell of the fuel will be on your hands and it will go all over
your tackle an rigs/bait not a very good start to your day

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
May sound strange, but Ian Heaps was a staunch believer in getting a good handful of leaves/grass from the bank of where you are fishing, and rubbing it into your hands to mask any smell.

nicepix

Reaction score
I don't buy into this at all. I haven't seen any hard proof that fish react adversely to angler's baits that might be tainted with cigarette, fuel or any other scent.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

May sound strange, but Ian Heaps was a staunch believer in getting a good handful of leaves/grass from the bank of where you are fishing, and rubbing it into your hands to mask any smell.

Merv, you can't 'mask' a scent from something with as sensitive an olfactory sense as a fish. All he was effectively doing was adding another scent to the cocktail.

barry dix

Reaction score
Many years ago I was told that you should always avoid the smell of oil on your hands when going fishing this I accepted as being true but as I worked in engineering I found it hard to avoid the way that oil and grease has of getting deep into your pores, this meant having to scrub my hands with soap to try to remove the scent of oil. However some years later I read that anglers in the USA were warned not to spray their lures with wd40 as the practice which was popular with anglers was polluting the water, it appears that the smell of wd40 was a deadly attractor to the fish. Strange how oil and grease repel fish and yet the much more potent smell of wd40 apparently attracts them.

naxian62

Reaction score
Never heard of Ian Heaps., but I do that hand rubbing in bankside vegetation thing. Mainly cos after riding my bike (to the venue) I feel the smell of the rubber from the handlebar grips would be quite strong.

barry dix

Reaction score
There's also something about women’s knickers, pheromones and catching monster salmon too.

nicepix

Reaction score
Never heard of Ian Heaps., but I do that hand rubbing in bankside vegetation thing. Mainly cos after riding my bike (to the venue) I feel the smell of the rubber from the handlebar grips would be quite strong.

Rubbing your hands in grass merely adds the scent of grass to the scent already on your hands. Animals with enhanced olfactory senses such as fish will be able to detect it along with the scent you are trying to mask. It is only those such as us with poor olfactory senses that cannot differentiate the myriad of scents that are found in everyday life.

john step

Reaction score
Ian Heaps World Champion 1975 now the owner of his own fishery in South Wales. Used to be very entertaining on country wide angling shows as well.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Rubbing your hands in grass merely adds the scent of grass to the scent already on your hands. Animals with enhanced olfactory senses such as fish will be able to detect it along with the scent you are trying to mask.

You may well have 'hit the nail on the head'. Is it that the fish recognises, differentiates, (creatures of the wild),/odour and accepts, the 'local' smell and feels safe.

Over to you.:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
There's also something about women’s knickers, pheromones and catching monster salmon too.

I tie flies made out of woman's pubic hair. The "Hairy Mary" has accounted for a few nice fish, has as the "Bushy Beaver".

One of my mates was using a bare hook, it's a Brazilian fly apparently.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
From memory of the research I did on the subject of scent back in 2000-1 it was shown that animals such as fish and dogs have such highly developed olfactory senses that they can differentiate hundreds of different elements to any cocktail of scent. For example a dog can discriminate the scent of cannabis or cocaine buried in tins of coffee even though the drugs are wrapped and the tins sealed. A cadaver dog will indicate blood spots left at a scene years ago and a medic dog can pick out cancer cells being exhaled in the breath of a patient.

Regards fish, it was indicated that sight feeding fish such as trout and minnows have less developed senses than carp and barbel. But even then the trout and minnows have olfactory senses far, far greater than man's. Salmon are supposed to navigate their way to home rivers using the power of scent. If you imagine the vast volumes of water going down a river such as the Humber then what percentage of that would come from a small tributary such as the Wharfe or Don? How do they manage to follow that scent from the open sea?

I am convinced that you cannot rid yourself of human scent and any additional scents such as soap, tobacco and fuel will also remain even after rubbing hands with grass or other objects.

Then you face another quandry. Why would a fish avoid the smell of cigarettes, diesel or petrol if the item that was was on something they would normally eat? Bass have been caught on fag ends. Sea anglers douse baits in WD-40. Carp take cork balls. Chub baits include mouldy cheese. My dog would readily eat the left overs of a pork pie even if I gave it her with oily hands.

As I said at the start; I don't know of any proof to back up this oft quoted advice.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a mate who advocates not filling the car on the way to the venue yet he lights his fags and his kelly kettle with a zippo lighter.....

naxian62

Reaction score
Nicepix
sounds like he's the man on this topic.
I do understand I'll never rid my hands of our human smell, I'm just hoping to get rid of the more obvious odours. It's a confidence thing.

nicepix

Reaction score
It only masks it to your sense of smell. That's not the same thing. To a creature like a fish it just adds another scent to the many it is able to detect that we can't.

And you don't seem to grasp the point that nobody has actually proved that hand scent or fuel, cigarettes, etc is detrimental to catch rate. It is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.