In what conditions will you not go fishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For me it's when it's raining

I'll fish in the cold, break ice to fish , go when it's hot and the fish may not be feeding, I'll keep on fishing if it starts to rain when I'm out but if it's raining before I go I'll not bother

Setting up in the rain and getting soaked before you make a cast is not for me

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The only condition guaranteed to keep me indoors is a very strong wind.

I can handle most weather conditions, even thick frost and snow and never let the rain bother me at all, just use decent waterproofs and a good brolly or shelter.

But those very strong winds, particularly from the east will stop me from leaving home.

mike47

Reaction score
I also don't like strong winds or setting up in the rain. No problem with rain coming on later or freezing cold, but the wind does it for me!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cold north easterly winds, I'd rather be in the pub with a nice cozy fire talking about it than freezing my whatsits off doing it.

B

binka

Snow is just about the only thing that will prevent me, I'm fully prepared to fish in it but owning a rear wheel drive car which has less steering power and grip than a supermarket trolley with its wheels greased means it's a no no for me :(

chrissh

Reaction score
I don't fish in windy condition or thunder storms' cold wet and rainy condition don't bother me that much days, I've had some of my best fishing in the rain.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Snow, to the extent it makes driving dangerous; Very high winds, unless I can find a nice quiet farm pond with plenty of cover; Electrical/thunder storms a total no-no !

Like many others I've fished in all of the above, but that was before I realised how stupid it was !

Became something of an expert in ice breaking this year............................

daji

Reaction score
Extreme cold, wind or rain will stop me going out. Not that i'm a fair weather angler or anything :wh

john step

Reaction score
The reference to thunder storms brings back this memory.
As a teenager (yes I can remember that) I was fishing a gravel pit at Ockendon Essex and a storm came over.
There was a row of electric cables a few yards from me that delivered electricity to the site huts.
There was a huge flash and the whole row for a hundred yards burnt and smoked. That was too close. Now I have a car I go and sit in it in a storm....
Farady Cage and all that.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I detest setting up & packing away in the rain and I cannot trot or fish a float from under a brolly [I just can't !] so in those circumstances/conditions I wont go. The only exception being if I'm after the zander when a bit of wild,wet & windy weather quite often means they are on the prowl.

Wind niggles the hell out of me but wont put me off....cold likewise unless I think its pointless going. I quite like fishing in the snow IF I can get there but no fish is worth risking dangerous driving conditions.

I am not so obsessed that I need to fish irrespective of conditions. I would rather wait until things settle down a bit than freeze my nadgers off and get soaking wet scratching around for 10oz of bits or one scrawny chub just to say that I've been out. I really dont need it that much anymore and I've got nothing to prove to anyone.

nicepix

Reaction score
I don't like going in the rain especially if there is a long walk involved. Setting up the tackle in a downpour puts a downer on the day before I even start. No problem if it rains while I'm there though. And I'm not put off by windy conditions as I've typically done better in windy weather than flat calm conditions.

Probably the conditions that most put me off are those cold, bleak days when you can't seem to get warm and the cold eats into you.

Chefster

Reaction score
I would attempt to fish in any conditions,how successful it would be ,is another thing!:DGazza

B

binka

I (rather foolishly) fished a night session on a gravel pit last summer purely on the back of the electrical storms that had been forecast for a day or two prior and for a couple of hours from around 11pm onwards I was treated to the most spectacular light display I've ever seen in my life, the fishing was deftly quiet during the storms but once they passed I had the biggest weight I've ever had which was just shy of three hundred pounds on a two rod method feeder set up.

I can also remember as a kid being dropped off on the Trent at Newark by me dad on his way to work around five o'clock one morning in a horrendous storm and we saw a bolt of lightning strike a few hundred yards ahead of us in one of the villages we had to pass through.

As we rounded a bend into the village in torrential rain there was a large patch of dry, steaming tarmac in the road where the lightning bolt had touched ground :eek:

Definitely something not to be messed with.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Wind does my head in cant handle it at all i will fish through rain but setting up in the rain is a no no and breaking down well got too wet on rally stages breaking timing gear up and now dont get wet . Even Golf stops for the rain ..

:wh

PG ..