Graphene

Philip

Reaction score
Wonder how long before we see this material being used for an angling application ? ....seems one step closer now its being used in tennis rackets and Skis.

Graphene light bulb set for shops - BBC News

Rods seem the obvious place for its use but what about bivvys, banksticks, seat boxes, even line and hooks...the mind boggles...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Seen a couple of Tv programs on this and like you I thought it will make its way into fishing someday. The developers are more excited about its conducting properties than anything else at the moment, hence the light bulb. Graphite is a common material and they have found a way of super gluing the single atoms of graphite together. They have introduced something that makes them interlock and almost impossible to pull apart. A one atom thick sheet of the stuff can hold the weight of a cat. One atom or even several atoms thick would be invisible from side on I imagine.
Whether a sheet of this rolled into a rod would be supple enough I do not know but, It would not be beyond science to introduce other atoms into it of other materials to make it so I am sure. I am sure they will get round to experimenting with it in the future.
Super strong very very thin light rods, hooks and line could be on the cards one day. In my imagination hooks and line could be invisible and they would have to make them visible to be able to fish with !. How many atoms of this stuff would it take to make a 3lb line? Not many I Imagine. Smaller than the human eye can see possibly !?
The first tackle manufacturer that develops this successfully could be onto a big profitable winner.

PS-fishing magic are not very forward looking, they haven't put their clocks forward yet ! (its 9.45am)

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Super strong very very thin light rods, hooks and line could be on the cards one day. In my imagination hooks and line could be invisible and they would have to make them visible to be able to fish with !. How many atoms of this stuff would it take to make a 3lb line? Not many I Imagine. Smaller than the human eye can see possibly !?

Bloody hell! That's me finished then, I have enough of a problem tying a size 2 to line like string and now this.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Bloody hell! That's me finished then, I have enough of a problem tying a size 2 to line like string and now this.

Remember those big magnifying screens they put on TV's back in the 50's. You will be lugging one around with you one day when you go fishing. Me too, Ive started to walk into the odd lamp-post now and then.
Progress -----****.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Whether a sheet of this rolled into a rod would be supple enough I do not know but, It would not be beyond science to introduce other atoms into it of other materials to make it so I am sure. I am sure they will get round to experimenting with it in the future.

Yes thats what I think the challenge with it could be ...the flexibility. Basically you would have to mix it with something to make it bendy. I can sort of imagine them getting it to work in a rod...maybe by weaving threads of Graphene into other materials to get the right mix so that it bends correctly. ...I think they do much the same today with Carbon rods today to get the right action. Hooks I could also see being possible as its basically solid and stiff. Line I have a bigger problem getting my head round as although it would be super thin, I also imagine it would be totally rigid...but perhaps I am thinking of it all wrong.

Super strong light banksticks and buzz bars sound good to me ...although the other factor I do not know about is how brittle anything would be ...i.e a tiny crack could lead it to splinter.

I understand allot of carbon rod technology starts life in the Yahting market ...they need Carbon poles for the super strong and light masts they have on things like the Americas cup boats etc etc...so it would not surprise me if we start to see them getting interested soon and then the rod makers will follow...

Last edited:

daji

Reaction score
Graphene, from what i've read is strong, lightweight very flexible, maybe even too much so regarding the latter. It would likely need to either be combined with other materials or multiple layers to give it stiffness. 30 meter poles here we come :D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I was wondering the other day if it would be possible to produce single polymer-unit-thick keratin - the protein hair is made of - because it is a "pleated sheet", (think Hornbeam leaf) and a monolayer of it sandwiched between two layers of graphene ought to be a bit like corrugated cardboard.
You'd think it would be stiff in one direction, flexible in the other. If you started twisting as the sandwich formed, you'd (perhaps) be able to make nanotube of great rigidity and little weight.

Windy, do you do patents, or have I blown it?

rubio

Reaction score
It may turn out to be a case of 'the emperors new clothes'. My concern would be making commercial nets out of such stuff. No way to spot those whatever creature you are.

The bad one

Reaction score
Come, come Peter, Economies of Scale and the Chinese are onto it. Only the other night on the NW news, Boy Osborn was banging on about the Northern Powerhouse and the need to keep the competitive manufacturing base here in Manchester where it was created. Ah another made in Manchester by Russians! Strangely the Boy didn’t put his hand in the national piggybank or offer to do so to keep it thus.