best way to kill maggots

fishperch

Reaction score
hi guys, whats the best way to kill maggots with out using the freezer? before I have tried using cold tap water then pouring kettle water in but it didn't seem to be working very well. could i just use bags of ice and sandwhich the maggots between the ice in my cool box? also my local tackle shop gets maggots in on a Friday morning nd im getting a load for my fishing holiday so should they last a week out of the cool box? im unsure if I'll have room in the car for the cool box as its massive lol. how do I keep dead maggots with out a fridge/freezer and how long for maximum. thanks guys

chrissh

Reaction score
Put some cold water from a Tap in to a Bait Box then add the maggots not to many poor boiling water to them a bit at a time until they stop moving
I use one of the vacuum food bag sealer from Argos about £10.00 which sucks the air out of the bad and then heat seals the bag
the maggot last around 4weeks in the bag without freezing or 6 mouths if frozen

Chefster

Reaction score
Riddle the maggots to remove all the maize,add a good sprinkling of marukyu krill powder,and shake around to coat the maggots..put them into a plastic bag,and suck or squeeze all the air out,and tie the bag up...place in freezer for at least 2 days..the maggot skins will draw in all the krill..when defrosted,keep in a tub of water,so they keep their colour,any you dont use can be re-frozen,and they will continue to absorb the krill....Gazza

flightliner

Reaction score
A few more drops of aniseed flavour than is normally required will do the deed, only if the flavour is what you want tho.
Works every time for me.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
As already mentioned, riddle them off to clean them, put into a bait tub and just cover with cold water. Add boiling water a bit at a time giving them a bit of a stir. You will see them slowly start to die off. when all dead strain them off and put them in an airtight bag.

john step

Reaction score
Unfortunately you specify non freezing which is the most practical for enough for a holiday. I wonder how long the holiday is for.

There is a method which others may be able to help whereby maqggots are put in air tight bag in with ice blocks in a cold box and then revive later.
You still need somewhere to store them when revived though.

I would ask the following questions though.
How would you keep dead maggots without a freezer from rotting.
Has it got to be maggots which are a bit troublesome for holidays.
Would a sealed pack or three of Dendras from Willies Worms be easier.
Could not coarse pellets be easier.
Ditto Mothers Pride.
Ditto mini boilies.
Tins of hemp and corn and meat?

I would be interested where the intended holiday is because there is often somewhere local to source bait.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Rather than killing a shedload for the week (they'll go really manky out of a freezer after a day or so.....) can I suggest that you try killing enough only for hookers on a day to day basis.... as you have a "No Freezer" proviso, I'd suggest that you take a handful of maggots and place them in an empty bait box, now from your flask add some hot tea.... (it needs to have cooled a little from boiling hot) here's the trick, the tea is hot enough to kill the maggot, but not to discolour, or cook it, giving them that horrible, solid, boiled texture...

fishperch

Reaction score
Unfortunately you specify non freezing which is the most practical for enough for a holiday. I wonder how long the holiday is for. There is a method which others may be able to help whereby maqggots are put in air tight bag in with ice blocks in a cold box and then revive later. You still need somewhere to store them when revived though. I would ask the following questions though. How would you keep dead maggots without a freezer from rotting. Has it got to be maggots which are a bit troublesome for holidays. Would a sealed pack or three of Dendras from Willies Worms be easier. Could not coarse pellets be easier. Ditto Mothers Pride. Ditto mini boilies. Tins of hemp and corn and meat? I would be interested where the intended holiday is because there is often somewhere local to source bait.

the holiday is burnam on sea haven holiday park
it's monday till Friday
you can get maggots from the on site tackle shop but he gets them on a Tuesday and when i went there before from fri-mon he had next to no maggots plus i don not remember the price. money is always a real issue for me.
i intend to keep them in a cool box switching around ice blocks/bags of ice every 10 hours
i have got the guy in the tackle shop near me to order me in some casters. ( lack of time prevents me from turning them myself this time like i often do)

alsoran

Reaction score
I wouldn't take any, plus you can always use Burnam Angling Centre for bait if you have too.

Do as John suggested above.

Bread,(punch, flake, paste) pellets, mini boilies, worms, corn etc.

john step

Reaction score
What I was getting at and what alsoran has suggested, why bother. Is it that you only have confidence in maggots. Honestly the suggestions will catch fish and you will spend time fishing in stead of frigging around with manky maggots.
I appreciate the cost thing but those suggestions are cheaper than maggots.
Hope you enjoy the time there.

fishperch

Reaction score
I wouldn't take any, plus you can always use Burnam Angling Centre for bait if you have too. Do as John suggested above. Bread,(punch, flake, paste) pellets, mini boilies, worms, corn etc.

any idea if it's open on Monday and what the maggot prices are?

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

What I was getting at and what alsoran has suggested, why bother. Is it that you only have confidence in maggots. Honestly the suggestions will catch fish and you will spend time fishing in stead of frigging around with manky maggots. I appreciate the cost thing but those suggestions are cheaper than maggots. Hope you enjoy the time there.

I have only fished maggot,sweetcorn and sausages before so it would be a bit of trial and error. im thinking cheesepaste may be pretty cheap to make?

john step

Reaction score
any idea if it's open on Monday and what the maggot prices are?

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

I have only fished maggot,sweetcorn and sausages before so it would be a bit of trial and error. im thinking cheesepaste may be pretty cheap to make?

Live dangerously and use sliced bread at £1 a loaf.( It makes a good paste on its own) Plenty of instruction on line.If you have used sausage then luncheon meat will be a doddle. As you mention corn ...it is cheap and cheerful and the tin will not go off.
I looked up the fishing where you specify and its not cheap at £10 day/£18 per week if you are a youngster as I suspect?? There are the usual fish species present and I bet you can catch on the bread bought from the camp shop. Don't fixate on maggots.
Why not try, and when you get back let us all know how you got on.

fishperch

Reaction score
Live dangerously and use sliced bread at £1 a loaf.( It makes a good paste on its own) Plenty of instruction on line.If you have used sausage then luncheon meat will be a doddle. As you mention corn ...it is cheap and cheerful and the tin will not go off. I looked up the fishing where you specify and its not cheap at £10 day/£18 per week if you are a youngster as I suspect?? There are the usual fish species present and I bet you can catch on the bread bought from the camp shop. Don't fixate on maggots. Why not try, and when you get back let us all know how you got on.
may sound stupid but whats the best way to hook bread and what sorta distance can u cast max?
we booked the fishing when we rung them afew weeks back.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
may sound stupid but whats the best way to hook bread and what sorta distance can u cast max?
we booked the fishing when we rung them afew weeks back.

A piece of bread moulded GENTLY round the hook is called breadflake. AS I said before all this would be on a YOUTUBE video or any angling book.
What is this cast max business? Its not necessary.

Go to YOUTUBE and type in breadflake for fishing and all will be revealed. Very basic really. You have now enough info to research on.

fishperch

Reaction score
A piece of bread moulded GENTLY round the hook is called breadflake. AS I said before all this would be on a YOUTUBE video or any angling book. What is this cast max business? Its not necessary. Go to YOUTUBE and type in breadflake for fishing and all will be revealed. Very basic really. You have now enough info to research on.
meaning how far can u cast it without it coming off the hook

greenie62

Reaction score
meaning how far can u cast it without it coming off the hook

Depends a lot on your end tackle set-up, float position, shotting pattern, casting action, etc. If you pinch flake on as described in the youtube videos, the bread isn't the limiting factor.
If you are inexperienced at fishing with bread as bait, you should be warned - the hook often comes back without bait on it - not necessarily 'cos something has nicked it! The bread normally removes itself as you strike or retrieve - leaving a bare hook.
Ok - so you're thinking - how long have I been wasting sitting here with no bait on? :confused: - what's the point? If it was maggies - at least I'd know there was some bait on! - and that I hadn't caught something! :eek:mg:

The beauty of fishing with flake is that it does come off the hook when you strike to retrieve, leaving the bait in the swim to taunt the fish, doesn't scare the fish by being towed through the swim, and usually doesn't snag up as often as maggots 'cos the air in the partially-squeezed flake helps it pop-up a little and not sink into the bottom detritus - so it stays visible and tempting.
Hope that helps. Tight Lines :thumbs:

Red Army

Reaction score
Willis Worms would do a next day delivery of fresh maggots but if as you wrote cost is an issue I would either go with the cheaper options mentioned in this thread or use some imitation maggots. They comes in a variety of colours and some are even flavoured or fluo. They can be buoyant or sinkers as well.

Entreprise Tackle ? Maggots does them but they are also sold by others such as Korum.