circle hooks

chrissh

Reaction score
what the advantage of circle hooks over the normal hooks
do they have better hooking capabilities - easier to remove - better bait presentation
they are available in size 18s to 8s
would the bigger size be better for feeder fishing for bream

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use the Guru QM1 hooks on the feeder for bream. For maggots size 18, 6m pellet on a hair size 12. 9 times out of 10 the fish are hooked in the scissors.

Chefster

Reaction score
what the advantage of circle hooks over the normal hooks
do they have better hooking capabilities - easier to remove - better bait presentation
they are available in size 18s to 8s
would the bigger size be better for feeder fishing for bream
Like Simon,i also use the QM1,but only for hair rigging,personally i dont use them for straight hooking maggots,worms etc,i find the smaller the hook ,the more positive the bite is and the hook hold is better...Gazza

bracket

Reaction score
Forum Members, please enlighten an aged angler. What is a circle hook? Pete.

chrissh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's

Got some Preston PR C1 Circle Hook 12 14 16 & 18 today but can't find any 22s
is there a circle as small as 22s the tackle shop doesn't think they do them any more

I'll be giving them a try out on Wednesday

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Circle hooks have an inturned point....

Such as the Guru QM1
12195_600.jpg

the thinking is you need not strike, just lift into the fish and they have better hookhold properties than the standard straight points during the fight.... they are very good for hair-rigging baits

chrissh

Reaction score
Forum Members, please enlighten an aged angler. What is a circle hook? Pete.

https://www.prestoninnovations.com/Products/Hooks-Line/PR-Hooks/PRC1-prc1-CIRCLE-HOOKS

Circle hooks have been shown to increase the survival of angler released fish. With their success already proven for many game fish species, these hooks are now used increasingly for many other common recreational species including bream, flathead and kingfish.
Many studies have shown that one of the most influential factors affecting the survival of fish released by anglers relates to where the fish was hooked. Specifically, survival has been shown to be greatly reduced for fish that are deeply hooked in the throat or beyond.
What is a circle hook?
A circle hook is a fishing hook manufactured so that the point is turned perpendicularly back to the hook shank to form a generally circular, or oval, shape.

bracket

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. Just shows you are never too old to learn. Pete.

keora

Reaction score
The Guru QM1 hook isn't a true circle hook. The Guru hook has an exaggerated curve on the shank and the point of the hook curves slightly inwards.

A true circle hook has an even greater curve on the shank. Also the point is turned sharply inwards so that it is at right angles to the shank.

The benefit of a true circle hook is that it avoids deep hooking. The point normally does not hook the fish until the hook is drawn over the edge of the mouth.

I'm not saying the Guru hook is a bad hook - it looks a good hook for general coarse fishing. It's just that it won't avoid deep hooking of fish under certain circumstances.

I've used Mustad Demon circle hooks for pike fishing this last winter and they are good. The hook nearly always catches in the jaws of the pike, especially the scissors, and is very easy to remove. When you get a take, you wind down quickly to make contact with the fish - you don't strike in the conventional manner.

Compare the Guru QM1 hook here:

http://www.tackleguru.com/matchfishingtackle/hooks/qm1-hooks/

And the Mustad Demon hook here:

Mustad 39951NP-BN 1XF Demon PFT Circle – Glasgow Angling Centre

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
If you check out Mike Ladles Fishing Diary on line you will find he always uses circle hooks bait fishing for bass. I think there's quite a bit of detail about it although you might have to search through the archives. They always seem to hook the fish in the scissors, never down the thoat and they are easy to unhook without damaging the fish.
I would imagine they are also good for pike fishing, has anyone tried?

---------- Post added at 02:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 ----------

Sorry Keora, I just noticed you are using them for pike already!

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I use them for eels and the vast majority of fish have been hooked centre of the lower jaw. I get rid of the barb,not necessary IMO and if the eel is a smaller one it's a doddle to grasp the shank with forceps and twist the hook out. I do this over the water and the eel drops back in without seeing a net or the bank. Win-win AFAIC, no hassle for the eel, no slime for me.
I use them with lobworms which I kill first and then add a small bit of elastic band to help keep the bait on the hook.

Keora: How do you rig for pike fishing? I'd like to try this mice elf.

keora

Reaction score
I use them for eels and the vast majority of fish have been hooked centre of the lower jaw. I get rid of the barb,not necessary IMO and if the eel is a smaller one it's a doddle to grasp the shank with forceps and twist the hook out. I do this over the water and the eel drops back in without seeing a net or the bank. Win-win AFAIC, no hassle for the eel, no slime for me.
I use them with lobworms which I kill first and then add a small bit of elastic band to help keep the bait on the hook.

Keora: How do you rig for pike fishing? I'd like to try this mice elf.

For medium size smelt I use a Mustad Demon Circle Hook size 3/0 crimped to about 15 inches of 30 lb trace wire. I've not seen made up traces in the shops so it's a case of DIY.

I use 10 ft Drennan pike rod and a small bait runner with 30lb power pro braid.

Tie a sliding stop knot on the braid with 10 lb nylon line.
Slide a Drennan Zeppler float onto the line. The 20 gm float is a good all round size.
Slide onto the line a 20gm weight - I use drilled bullets because they are cheap.
Tie a cross lock swivel on the end of the braid.
Clip the trace you've made up onto the cross lock and away you go.

keora

Reaction score
Do you just nick the hook into the tail root or do you use a version of the hair?
Cheers for getting back on this.

You put the put the hook through the tail root of the deadbait.

I've never heard of anyone using a hair rig with a circle hook. I can't think why a hair rig would be necessary. It just complicates what is a simple rig designed to prevent deep hooking and enable fish to be unhooked quickly and returned to the water.

Circle hooks aren't used widely in coarse fishing in the UK. They are certainly good for pike fishing, and they might be useful for perch fishing. I can't imagine them being used for other coarse fish species.

Here's something from Wikipedia:

A circle hook is a type of fish hook which is sharply curved back in a circular shape. It has become widely used among anglers in recent years because the hook generally catches more fish and is rarely swallowed. Since the circle hook catches the fish on the lips at the corner of its mouth, it usually decreases the mortality rates of released fish as compared to J-hook (like O'Shaughnessy or Octopus hooks) which are often swallowed by the fish, causing damage to the gills or vital organs.

The circle hook's unique shape allows it to only hook onto an exposed surface, which in the case of a fish means the corner of its mouth. The fish takes the baited hook and swallows it, and as the hook is reeled in, it is safely pulled out of the fish until it reaches the mouth. At this point it will catch the corner of the mouth of the fish, resulting in fewer gut-hooked fish.
In terms of technique, it is important to not strike (or set the hook) when the fish bites, but rather just reel in. The act of striking while using a circle hook often results in the hook being pulled out of the fish altogether.
Studies have shown that circle hooks do much less damage to billfish than the traditional J-hooks, yet they are at just as effective for catching billfish. This is good for conservation, since it improves survival rates after release.]

Last edited: